ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 top eight (8) hoops teams in each region.

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
I do not claim to be an expert on Class 2; so those of you who are give me your best shot.
Who will be the top eight basketball teams in each region we need to follow this winter.

I would say in Region D, it will be Gate City, Richlands, Graham, Central-Wise and some random 4 after that. Region D will be down somewhat in my humble opinion.

Don’t think anyone in region b has a shot at title except East rock, page, wilson and draft probably next three

Dan River, Dan River and Dan River then Radford in Region C. Everyone else is just playing out the string

I don't follow 2A overall as much as 1A, but in Region A, obviously JM is my #1. After that I could see any of the following teams battling for the #2 spot amongst, King William, Brunswick, Greensville, Arcadia and Thomas Jefferson.

VHSL Hoops Top Tens - Holiday 2019 Edition
It's the holiday season and that means basketball tournaments are in full swing all over the state.
Here's the latest rankings installment through Christmas, entering games on Thursday, December 26, 2019 ...

Class 2 Top Ten:
Rank
Preseason School Record (thru 12/25)
1. John Marshall 5-1
2. Dan River 6-0
3. East Rockingham 6-1
4. Radford 2-0
5. Buckingham 6-0
6. Gate City 3-2
7. Fort Chiswell 5-0
8. Floyd County 5-1
9. Brunswick 6-2
10 Martinsville 3-2

https://virginiapreps.rivals.com/news/vhsl-hoops-top-tens-holiday-2018-edition

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Dan River, Dan River and Dan River then Radford in Region C. Everyone else is just playing out the string

Don’t bet on Radford this year, they got The coach’s son but not much back in way of scoring, the Prileau kid got hurt in football, not sure but I don’t think he’ll be back this year. They definitely in a rebuild year and be competitive but I don’t think they will contend in region C

Don’t bet on Radford this year, they got The coach’s son but not much back in way of scoring, the Prileau kid got hurt in football, not sure but I don’t think he’ll be back this year. They definitely in a rebuild year and be competitive but I don’t think they will contend in region C
Radford won't be what they were for the past 4 years but they are in the top 3 in Region C. Might be the top if Prioleau were able to play. The junior class is loaded with athletes and defense carries them a long way. McManus is threat from 3(scored 22 vs Pulaski). Kanipe (13 pts/game) brings an inside/outside game that creates matchup problems.

I've talked to a SWD coach that says the M7 may sweep the SWD in the first round in the Region D tournament this year.

A sleeper team in Region D could be Lee High. Currently 9-1, won the Grand tournament at UVa-Wise defeating Grundy (solid 1A), Ridgeview and Union to do so.

Happy New Year to all! It's hard to believe that we've arrived at 2020 and the High School Basketball season for some has reached the halfway point. There are also others that have played as few as four games in our rankings.

Class 2 Top Ten:
Rank School Record (thru 1/2)
1. John Marshall 6-2
2. East Rockingham 6-1
3. Radford 5-0
4. Dan River 8-1
5. Buckingham 8-0
6. Lee 8-1
7. Brunswick 6-2
8. Central-Woodstock 7-0
9. Floyd County 7-3
10 Fort Chiswell 6-2

Dropped Out: #6 Gate City (3-4) and #10 Martinsville (4-3)

https://virginiapreps.rivals.com/news/vhsl-hoops-top-tens-2020-new-year-edition

Radford won't be what they were for the past 4 years but they are in the top 3 in Region C. Might be the top if Prioleau were able to play. The junior class is loaded with athletes and defense carries them a long way. McManus is threat from 3(scored 22 vs Pulaski). Kanipe (13 pts/game) brings an inside/outside game that creates matchup problems.

So where does Floyd fit in?

I was there last night. Floyd has as much talent on the floor as Radford but they are inconsistent. They lost to Glenvar who is not very good. Radford shot just over 30% from 3 which was part Radford and part Floyd's defense. Radford was down 4 and a Floyd kid clearly fouled Cormany. The refs put Rupe (50% FT vs Cormany 86%FT) on the line. it was argued by the refs didn't change. Rupe of course missed the first free throw. If Cormany wouldve went to the line and made both that wouldve made it a 2 point game with 2 min left. Additionally, twice when Radford fouled Floyd the refs allowed the wrong Floyd player (Thompson) to go to the line where he made them all. this switch of players at the foul line was not an accident on Floyds part. I never blame refs for a loss but they definitely made big, obvious errors at a critical time. Floyd comes to Radford in a few weeks and it should be another good one.

I have to agree Floyd has got a good group this year, I think there pretty young as well. Will likely be a good rematch next time. Officiating is becoming a lost art

VHSL Hoops Top Tens - Entering 1/17/20 Action
Matthew Hatfield • VirginiaPreps
Publisher
@hatfieldsports
Class 2 Top Ten:
Rank School Record (thru 1/16)
1 John Marshall 9-2
2 East Rockingham 11-2
3 Dan River 11-2
4 Buckingham 11-1
5 Radford 8-2
6 Brunswick 10-3
7 Gate City 8-4
8 Martinsville 8-4
9 Central-Wise 11-4
10 Lee 10-3

Dropped Out: #9 Fort Chiswell (7-3)

Wise is struggling right now. They have the talent to be a top 10 team but aren't playing like it right now.

GC is the clear fav in 2D, and may give 2C trouble to earn the right to lose by 25 to JM.

Reactions: sharkfan83 and kw85
I think 25 is being generous honestly. Maybe only win by 25 if JM sits their starters through half the 3rd qtr and all of the 4th. I just dont see anyone in 2A keeping it within 35 pts if JM chooses to play their big boys for most of the whole game.

I think 25 is being generous honestly. Maybe only win by 25 if JM sits their starters through half the 3rd qtr and all of the 4th. I just dont see anyone in 2A keeping it within 35 pts if JM chooses to play their big boys for most of the whole game.

Agreed. They could likely name the margin they wanna win by even in a state final. Quite a leap between them and rest of 2A. I don't even think previous state champs would be competitive with them.

Obviously JM will run 2a this year, but saying they would have blown the doors off past champions in 2a is lazy. JM dropped from 3a? Didn’t Northside win 3a? The 2a champ beat a great Northside team last year. Andddd, You can’t tell me the Mac McClung gate city team couldn’t have competed.

Agreed. They could likely name the margin they wanna win by even in a state final. Quite a leap between them and rest of 2A. I don't even think previous state champs would be competitive with them.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but...there have been some incredible teams in 2A that would more than hold their own.

Reactions: AntGZee
I bet the 2016 Martinsville Bulldawgs could play with them.

The blue bloods of 2a Brunswick, lee and martinsville would have had past teams that would have been able to run with them.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Martinsville, Dan River, Lee, Graham, and Gate City, just to name a few, have all had recent championship teams that would compete with this JM team I think. Theres been some bada** 2A teams over the past 10-15 years. However, this JM team is one of those teams.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Martinsville, Dan River, Lee, Graham, and Gate City, just to name a few, have all had recent championship teams that would compete with this JM team I think. Theres been some bada** 2A teams over the past 10-15 years. However, this JM team is one of those teams.
Not judging your opinion, BUT go and watch JM play and your opinion will change before halftime.

Not judging your opinion, BUT go and watch JM play and your opinion will change before halftime.
I’ve seen them play and my opinion is still the same. They are very good no doubt but 2A has had some hammers in recent years who most definitely would have competed. Others have mentioned some already. I would add the 2010 MC team. They went undefeated and they played a heckuva tough non District schedule. The Dan River and Radford teams around that same time (09-12) were more than able to compete with this version of JM. Just a couple of years ago RE Lee (Staunton) had an incredibly talented team.

Don’t get me wrong, there is a ton of talent on JMs squad. I respect them a great deal. But I’d take a great team over a team of great players.

I am asking because I do not know. The teams that you named were wonderful 2A teams but how many of them played 6A, 5A and 4A teams on a regular basis and how many of them played in tournaments that included great private school teams and nationally ranked teams from other states.

I am asking because I do not know. The teams that you named were wonderful 2A teams but how many of them played 6A, 5A and 4A teams on a regular basis and how many of them played in tournaments that included great private school teams and nationally ranked teams from other states.

Why does that matter? Most of your 2a teams do not have the luxury or resources to play as you say... all of these teams. Most of your 2a teams are surrounded by.... a lot of 2 a teams. JM is in a different situation.

JM couldn’t win 3A last year. You forgot to mention that in all the divisions listed. They can run 4a, 5a, 6a....but lost to a 3a team? Just sucks 2a is down this year and doesn’t have a team to compete. This board will be the JM love fest until another power 2a emerges. Won’t be long.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but...there have been some incredible teams in 2A that would more than hold their own.

I meant more the recent champions. Im not as aware about teams that won titles in the early 90s and before.

GC usually plays in the Arby's Classic which often features excellent private school teams and nationally ranked public schools before district play starts. But once M7 play starts, the travel to take on such teams is too much.

Obviously JM will run 2a this year, but saying they would have blown the doors off past champions in 2a is lazy. JM dropped from 3a? Didn’t Northside win 3a? The 2a champ beat a great Northside team last year. Andddd, You can’t tell me the Mac McClung gate city team couldn’t have competed.

I'm very familiar with those GC teams and no, I don't believe those teams could beat this JM team from what I've seen and can gather. The big kid inside would have no answer from GC. The kid from RE Lee was a good post player and kept them somewhat close to GC and he wasn't near the prospect Wheeler is. That last McClung team was very, very good but they didn't have the interior presence and the size to stop JM IMO.

I meant more the recent champions. Im not as aware about teams that won titles in the early 90s and before.
I am talking about teams in the last ten years. To say that none of those teams could compete with the 2019-2020 JM team is a position I just can’t agree with at all. I’m at the state finals every year.

Last edited:
Why does that matter? Most of your 2a teams do not have the luxury or resources to play as you say... all of these teams. Most of your 2a teams are surrounded by.... a lot of 2 a teams. JM is in a different situation.

JM couldn’t win 3A last year. You forgot to mention that in all the divisions listed. They can run 4a, 5a, 6a....but lost to a 3a team? Just sucks 2a is down this year and doesn’t have a team to compete. This board will be the JM love fest until another power 2a emerges. Won’t be long.
Phoebus is name of that 3A team and a wonderful program. JM play them every year and sometimes they do win, especially down there.

Why are there mentions of past years teams? What teams this year in 2A could beat them? I'm a believer in "that's why you play the game" but I need some convincing there are 2-3 teams in 2a that would beat them?

Reactions: SFUWO
Why are there mentions of past years teams? What teams this year in 2A could beat them? I'm a believer in "that's why you play the game" but I need some convincing there are 2-3 teams in 2a that would beat them?
I'm not too sure there is 2 or 3 public schools in the entire state that could beat JM this year, much less 2A.

Reactions: SFUWO and aw19752
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT