ADVERTISEMENT

2A State Top 10 9/26/23

Sep 19, 2023
Halfway point of the regular season and things are getting interesting. In an attempt to liven up the forum I'm going to give my unofficial top 10 each week that is created using my own observations. I try to watch each team on NFHS Network and also read other reports from informed fans. I'm no expert, just a long time VA highschool football fan. A few things to note. I will never rank a team based on record. My rank is based upon how I perceive a team has performed against quality opponents and how I view their potential to beat other 2A opponents. (See Appomattox) Let's get to the rankings.

1. Union 4-1
Battle tested team that has emerged as a favorite. Physical, fast, and stategic. Will be a hard out for 2A.

2. Graham 4-1
Injured and people are starting to doubt their prowess. Still possess the players and coaching to win out. When healthy they could be the best team. Achilles heel: Undisciliplined, especially on the line.

3. Radford 5-0
Immense talent at the skill positions and one of the best quarterbacks in all levels of VHSL football. This week will be telling. Achilles heel: lineplay, point of attack.

4. Glenvar 4-0
Well rounded team that hasn't really shown a true identity yet. Seemingly disciplined and hard nosed. I think they could make a deep playoff run. Achilles heel: Not elite in one area?

5. Gretna 3-1
A wise man said were all sleeping on Gretna. I now think they can beat all the teams in 2A. Very athletic while getting more cohesive each week. Achilles heel: unknown...someone help me out

6. Appomattox 1-3
Could have won against Gretna but it wasn't meant to be. Appo has played an extremely tough schedule and has had some tough luck. Plenty of talent and coaching to right the ship. Achilles heel: Depth

7. Ridgeview 5-0
Untested but that will change soon. Offense has looked really good. Achilles heel: Not quite as talented as the top 5.

8. Clarke County 4-0
Extremely athletic, fast, and playing really hard. I could see this team seperating from the pack and emerging as a true contender. Achilles heel: untested.

9. Central Woodstock 4-0
I would be lying if I said I knew a lot about this team. They have continued to play at high level with great size and speed. Achilles heel: Lost 16 seniors

10. Riverheads 3-1
Huge potential but just not the same without CCC. Christiansburg will be a true litmus test of what this team could do. Achilles heel: Relies on one player heavily

Knocking on the door: Poquoson, Strasburg, Buckingham

Last edited:
1. Union- talent all over field, way more athletic that the past to go with the lineplay
2. Graham- still the most talented team in Virginia. Wounded now, but will not stay injured all year.
3. Radford- the QB takes us from an 8th to 10th ranked type team to a title contender.
4. Central Woodstock- still very well coached, great lineplay, great football players
5. Riverheads- don't count them out of anything. They could still win the Class 2 state title in 2023.

6. Poquoson- most outside of the Tidewater don't realize how tough their schedule is
7. Gretna- you beat Appomattox and you are solid. More impressive was their near miss against J. Forest.
8. Appomattox- dangerous as always, young, still breaking in players. Overall, top 4 talented team.
9. Glenvar- Always solid, well coached, good lineplay, but just can't seem to get out of the region
10. Clarke County/Ridgeview- Both have solid football players, love offense, but schedules weak.

Last edited:
I have gone back and watched more film on Radford. If I were to revise this list, I would drop them down 3-4 spots. They are not physical enough to win in a close game with adversity. They rely too heavily on Clark the QB. Physical lineplay and tough defense still wins championships. I think Glenvar will beat them.

@Fairlawncat I am more in alignment with your list. I truly think it is, Union, Graham, Woodstock then you can make an argument for about any order. Radford is crazy skilled but there is something missing that i can't quite figure out. Poquoson will be a handful and Gretna has been a surprise early to contend. Riverheads hasn't quite found their footing so far this year but there are some decent pieces. Appomattox is well coached and adapt as well as any team in the last decade so we can't overlook the Raiders. Glenvar, Clarke, Ridgeview, Strasburg, KW could all make a run, but the money would have to be on the top three or so.

Union and Graham top 2. After that who knows except I would not put Clarke County over Central Woodstock or Riverheads. Clarke has a talented team this year but, we will see what their record is after going through the Bull Run.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
As you guys know, I am the stereotypical glass-half-full guy whereas some of you have already put my Gladiators out to pasture. I prefer to look at them as the team that would have had a 14-0 lead on Central with about 4 minutes left if not for a penalty. The same team that has won all three games since without CCC and has only given up four touchdowns on defense all year.

Having said that, I agree that tomorrow night's game, with or without CCC, will tell us a heck of a lot. But even if the Demons come out on top, and maybe even if they win comfortably, they are still an unbeaten Class 3 team, and they should be expected to win over a team competing for the first time in Class 2.

I think any kind of decent showing by the Big Red will help their own confidence plus earn them a little respect around the state.

As you guys know, I am the stereotypical glass-half-full guy whereas some of you have already put my Gladiators out to pasture. I prefer to look at them as the team that would have had a 14-0 lead on Central with about 4 minutes left if not for a penalty. The same team that has won all three games since without CCC and has only given up four touchdowns on defense all year.

Having said that, I agree that tomorrow night's game, with or without CCC, will tell us a heck of a lot. But even if the Demons come out on top, and maybe even if they win comfortably, they are still an unbeaten Class 3 team, and they should be expected to win over a team competing for the first time in Class 2.

I think any kind of decent showing by the Big Red will help their own confidence plus earn them a little respect around the state.
Agree with you.But 2nd time in 2A. Remember seeing film when they played VHS some years ago.

After tonight, I’d put Radford at number 1 and move the Riverheads up and maybe drop Glenvar & Appomattox to the bottom if these are still the Top 10. Radford has a generational talent at QB and to take it to Glenvar like they did. They will be a hard out for anyone come playoffs unless the wheels fall off.

Reactions: toughy299
I like Radford's play right now. We look good out there. Great win for Radford, but Riverheads win was incredible. I didn't expect them to win. What a performance.

That was an electric game to be at in Greenville and two quality football teams. Radford showed they aren’t to be trifled with as well. Central handled KW who I still say is a bit down this year but always dangerous. Poquoson pitched a shutout so everybody better not forget about them. As a power football guy I still like Union from SWVA but they have athletes too so they can play you a couple of ways. Graham has the athletes and staff to be a nightmare come the playoffs. 2A is going to be fun just getting through Regions……

That was an electric game to be at in Greenville and two quality football teams. Radford showed they aren’t to be trifled with as well. Central handled KW who I still say is a bit down this year but always dangerous. Poquoson pitched a shutout so everybody better not forget about them. As a power football guy I still like Union from SWVA but they have athletes too so they can play you a couple of ways. Graham has the athletes and staff to be a nightmare come the playoffs. 2A is going to be fun just getting through Regions……
No question man. Good one next week up at the top of the Valley with Central and Clarke squaring off at 5-0 each.

Next week Central @Clarke. Huge game. Both have played king william as a common opponent. CC winning 34-6 and Central winning 28-14. The game is at CC. But should be a great environment. My opinion the winner of that game could have homefield in the region which would be huge

No question man. Good one next week up at the top of the Valley with Central and Clarke squaring off at 5-0 each.
The last 2 meetings have been fantastic. CC winning 2 years ago i think 13-7 and Central winning last year. Both 1 score games. Last year CC was up 14-0 @ half. Central came back to win 21-14.

Anyone who doesn’t have Radford and Riverheads at the top of their top 10 needs to reconsider. What huge, statement Ws from both teams.

Each side of the state seems to have 4-5 truly elite contenders and it’s wide open.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
CC isn't relying on 1 back as they have in the past. Usually having a bell cow and feeding that player. They divide carries on this team which has worked for them. But they still do not throw the ball. Central will be their first test of the season

Union and Graham top 2. After that who knows except I would not put Clarke County over Central Woodstock or Riverheads. Clarke has a talented team this year but, we will see what their record is after going through the Bull Run.
The thing with Clarke is that offense. It’s good enough to either win or compete for the district, win a game or two in the playoffs but doubtful if they will ever win a state title. Winning 8-11 games a year is great though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AnyGivenFriday1969
The with Clarke is that offense. It’s good enough to either win or compete for the district, win a game or two in the playoffs but doubtful if they will ever win a state title. Winning 8-11 games a year is great though.
I agree. CC has had teams that should have played for titles in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the offense but as you said it gets the job done in the district but regions has been a different story. If you can get them behind the sticks the passing game isn't good enough to over come that in my opinion. That has been their issue once they get to regions

Reactions: MCAthletics
I agree. CC has had teams that should have played for titles in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the offense but as you said it gets the job done in the district but regions has been a different story. If you can get them behind the sticks the passing game isn't good enough to over come that in my opinion. That has been their issue once they get to regions
And I wasn’t trying to badmouth CC. I respect what they do up there in Berryville. I just don’t think that offense plays well against teams who go deep. But they are very good at what they do.

• Haha
@MCAthletics while I don’t think anyone in the past 6-8 years have run that offense. The Wing offense has enough variation to win in todays game. IMO most teams that still run a form of it do so mainly because it takes 4-5 high caliber athletes to effectively run that RPO/ Spread stuff. A solid coaching staff and understanding of this offense can churn out 3-4 slightly above average players and still be productive. The problem is those 3-4 can’t always cover the other teams 4-5.

Giles in 2012? Was impressive to watch. They had this type of offense clicking but also had an amazing defense that could play against power or spread. I agree most teams don’t catch lightning in the bottle like that anymore but it is possible.

The Central vs KW game was an 8 point game until the last minute or two. KW hung with them and made some plays. It was also their 2nd game in 4 days, where as Central had a bye last week. KW might not have the record, but their opponents have a combined record of 23-9, including Class 4 Hanover, Class 4 Caroline, and two undefeated teams in Clarke and Central and play Class 3 Colonial Heights next week. Nobody can say these kids aren't battle tested come playoff time. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGfootball95
Precisely why I keep reminding people that KW is dangerous. I haven’t forgotten a 28-27 game in Greenville a decade ago against a good but not great team on paper where the outcome shocked me. There are teams that aren’t done until they get knocked out the playoffs and KW has earned that

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Precisely why I keep reminding people that KW is dangerous. I haven’t forgotten a 28-27 game in Greenville a decade ago against a good but not great team on paper where the outcome shocked me. There are teams that aren’t done until they get knocked out the playoffs and KW has earned that
Yeah that was a really good game. Nobody expected KW to win that game. But a lot of times people just look at a record and think a team isn't any good, but don't stop to look at who they've played. Come playoff time in Region A, KW and Poquoson will both have been tested, where as many of the other teams will not have been or at least not on a week to week basis

I have gone back and watched more film on Radford. If I were to revise this list, I would drop them down 3-4 spots. They are not physical enough to win in a close game with adversity. They rely too heavily on Clark the QB. Physical lineplay and tough defense still wins championships. I think Glenvar will beat them.
Ok. Time to admit I'm a Radford fan. I was generally worried they would get bullied in this game like they have been a few times in the past 3 years when facing a tough team. I am happy to eat crow. I know this team and many of the players quite well. I speak with them often and worry about them getting too comfortable and letting the opposition outwork them. So far, that hasn't happened. They play a weak schedule and that worries me come playoff time. Proud of them for what they have accomplished so far. I also think if you watched the game, you witnessed a well coached team. Congrats to Crist and company.

After this week I'll go:

1. Union
2. Radford
3. Graham
4. Central Woodstock
5. Gretna
6. Clarke County
7. Riverheads
8. Ridgeview
9. Glevnar
10. Poquoson

I'll go
1. Union
2. Graham
3. Radford
4. Woodstock
5. Riverheads
6. Poquoson
7. Gretna
8. Buckingham County
9. Clarke County
10. Ridgeview

Reactions: blackknight_pride
As many have pointed out, Graham has dealt with a lot of injury and when they get healthy, they will have the most talent in 2A. However, the lineplay, especially on the offensive side of the ball will have to improve for them.

At this point, I"ll say...

1. Radford
2. Union
3. Graham
4. Woodstock
5. Riverheads
6. Poquoson
7. Gretna
8. Clarke
9. Ridgeview
10. Glenvar / Gate City

1. Union
2. Radford
3. Woodstock
4. Riverheads
5. Clarke
6. Buckingham
7. Graham
8. Poquoson
9. Gretna
10. Ridgeview

@MCAthletics while I don’t think anyone in the past 6-8 years have run that offense. The Wing offense has enough variation to win in todays game. IMO most teams that still run a form of it do so mainly because it takes 4-5 high caliber athletes to effectively run that RPO/ Spread stuff. A solid coaching staff and understanding of this offense can churn out 3-4 slightly above average players and still be productive. The problem is those 3-4 can’t always cover the other teams 4-5.

Giles in 2012? Was impressive to watch. They had this type of offense clicking but also had an amazing defense that could play against power or spread. I agree most teams don’t catch lightning in the bottle like that anymore but it is possible.
I get what you are saying…but the on the field results for CC have lead to 0 state titles🤷‍♂️

Agreed and my overall point was that with a solid defense that can somewhat play in space against spread teams, this offense can win in December. I am not sure what they have defensively and in the end that may be their limiting factor.

Reactions: MCAthletics
I think if Vegas was offering lines that Clarke would be favored this week in Berryville by 1.5 points. Will be the best matchup in the entire Valley this regular season other than maybe the Riverheads/Central game and possibly Spotswood/Turner Ashby.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Ok. Time to admit I'm a Radford fan. I was generally worried they would get bullied in this game like they have been a few times in the past 3 years when facing a tough team. I am happy to eat crow. I know this team and many of the players quite well. I speak with them often and worry about them getting too comfortable and letting the opposition outwork them. So far, that hasn't happened. They play a weak schedule and that worries me come playoff time. Proud of them for what they have accomplished so far. I also think if you watched the game, you witnessed a well coached team. Congrats to Crist and company.
I heard Crist was hands off on offense this season. Pretty smart move on his part if true. Explains a great deal! Radford will be hard to beat & hosting state semis in my opinion (which is subject to change 😂).

I get what you are saying…but the on the field results for CC have lead to 0 state titles🤷‍♂️
You and other people get on here and talk down on run heavy offenses like Single Wing, Double Wing etc... but answer this.. When is the last time a consistent passing team won the 2A title? The offenses that you consistently talk down on are the ones that are always still playing in December. Madisons passing game has only looked good against teams with losing records.

You and other people get on here and talk down on run heavy offenses like Single Wing, Double Wing etc... but answer this.. When is the last time a consistent passing team won the 2A title? The offenses that you consistently talk down on are the ones that are always still playing in December. Madisons passing game has only looked good against teams with losing records.
Thin skinned are you Coach? I said CC is very good at what they do. Winning 8-10 games a year is very good. I just don’t think what they do is varied enough to win a state title. The proof is on the field…so far. I think you need a balanced offense. The state titles MC has won were all by by very balanced offensive teams. A pass only team wouldn’t have a consistent chance either, IMHO. What happens to CC every year in the playoffs when they get behind and have to pass against good teams? You might not like it, but the proof is on the field.

By the way, MC had a RB rush for 415 yards last week. They at least try to be not so one dimensional.

Before you get all indignant again, I’ve said it before, I respect what you guys do. I wish we were at place to win 8-10 games a year again. But I think most programs want to win the last game of the year…and so far, you haven’t done that with a pretty one dimensional offense. I’d love to see a BRD win it all, even CC😃.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Thin skinned are you Coach? I said CC is very good at what they do. Winning 8-10 games a year is very good. I just don’t think what they do is varied enough to win a state title. The proof is on the field…so far. I think you need a balanced offense. The state titles MC has won were all by by very balanced offensive teams. A pass only team wouldn’t have a consistent chance either, IMHO. What happens to CC every year in the playoffs when they get behind and have to pass against good teams? You might not like it, but the proof is on the field. Relax, your offense obviously suits what you want to accomplish. I’d love to see a BRD win a title, even CC😃
I do not coach first of all... & Varied enough? How much did Graham and Central Woodstock throw the ball last year? How often did Riverheads throw while they won 7 straight titles? How much did Appomattox air it out during their run?? I guess you think everyone would be better if they chucked it into double coverage and said a prayer 20 times a game like Madison.

Reactions: BullRunFootball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT