ADVERTISEMENT

2019 NND football

Dec 20, 2018
Who are the contenders and who are the pretenders? Will anyone in the surrounding area challenge the NND? Should be an exciting year for football in the Neck.

Who are the contenders and who are the pretenders? Will anyone in the surrounding area challenge the NND? Should be an exciting year for football in the Neck.
The NND is shaping up to look like control all of region A this year, the only teams I could see coming close are Franklin and West Point but with the loss of Porter from West Point the chances go down. Franklin are always a tough team even though they loss their star receiver. I don’t see Northumberland and Essex being as good as colonial beach and Rapp, but as we’ve seen from years past you can never count Essex out. I personally just think Rapp is going to be way too strong this year. I don’t know much about W&L. West Point plays both Rapp and W&L this year in the early part of the season so we could see how strong these teams will be, but teams get better as the year goes on so you can’t really judge off those early season games, guess we’ll have to wait and see for the District Games from the NND. But I have Rapp beating West Point and W&L beating WP in regulation.

Reactions: MGF
The Northern Neck looks strong! Franklin and West Point will both be tough opponents for the Neck. Unlike others I won't hedge my bets. Whether it's the beginning of the season or the end of the season. The best team on the field that night will win. Good luck to all teams and Coaches on the 2019season! Special shout out to my West Point players and coaching staff! I know the "TEAM " will be ready!!! Leave it all on the field guy's!!!WP2K19

The NND is shaping up to look like control all of region A this year, the only teams I could see coming close are Franklin and West Point but with the loss of Porter from West Point the chances go down. Franklin are always a tough team even though they loss their star receiver. I don’t see Northumberland and Essex being as good as colonial beach and Rapp, but as we’ve seen from years past you can never count Essex out. I personally just think Rapp is going to be way too strong this year. I don’t know much about W&L. West Point plays both Rapp and W&L this year in the early part of the season so we could see how strong these teams will be, but teams get better as the year goes on so you can’t really judge off those early season games, guess we’ll have to wait and see for the District Games from the NND. But I have Rapp beating West Point and W&L beating WP in regulation.

Just curious what makes you think Northumberland and Essex won't be at good?
I'd say the Indians may take a slight step back without Palmer. I think once they figure out how to not have that one gamebreaker they will be fine.
Essex is always strong and if I am thinking right they have their qb back who got hurt early in the season and was part of the reason they switched offenses mid year.
I do agree Rapp should be very good. They should return a good bit from last year.

As for the rest of region A.
WP- I thought Porter was a junior last year? Maybe it was the other big back that I'm thinking of.
Don't really know what to expect from the rest of the tidewater.
Northampton has been on an uptick the last few years but history would tell you they won't be very strong.
I'd bet 5 if not all 6 of the NND teams make the playoffs this year

Just curious what makes you think Northumberland and Essex won't be at good?
I'd say the Indians may take a slight step back without Palmer. I think once they figure out how to not have that one gamebreaker they will be fine.
Essex is always strong and if I am thinking right they have their qb back who got hurt early in the season and was part of the reason they switched offenses mid year.
I do agree Rapp should be very good. They should return a good bit from last year.

As for the rest of region A.
WP- I thought Porter was a junior last year? Maybe it was the other big back that I'm thinking of.
Don't really know what to expect from the rest of the tidewater.
Northampton has been on an uptick the last few years but history would tell you they won't be very strong.
I'd bet 5 if not all 6 of the NND teams make the playoffs this year
By not as good I meant not as strong as last year and not as good as Rapp and CB will be this year this is just IMO, Northumberland is losing the their star but have a very good coaching staff and will figure it out as the season goes on and still have a good season. As for Essex I don’t see them being the normal power house that runs the NND anymore. I just think the other teams have a very strong core, but like I said you can never count them out when it matters, look at last year. West Points Porter was a junior but he will be transferring to Christ Church for his senior season for reasons I don’t know and the senior big back was Noah Lawson who is graduating.

Wow! That's big news! Porter transferring is definitely not public Knowledge throughout the region. I'm surprised your source gave up that he is transferring without giving the reason. Definitely a tough loss but West Point has a strong Senior class. Those young men along with the Coaching staff will keep the "TEAM"competitive. Porter will definitely make Christchurch the favorite to come out on top of the Private school.

Wow! That's big news! Porter transferring is definitely not public Knowledge throughout the region. I'm surprised your source gave up that he is transferring without giving the reason. Definitely a tough loss but West Point has a strong Senior class. Those young men along with the Coaching staff will keep the "TEAM"competitive. Porter will definitely make Christchurch the favorite to come out on top of the Private school.

Yeah, I heard that about Porter in March. Bummed me out. Not sure I understand the choice, but all the best to him!

Yeah, I heard that about Porter in March. Bummed me out. Not sure I understand the choice, but all the best to him!

If true, the reasoning has to be recruiting. 1A kids usually only get looks above D3 unless they are beasts AND fit the mold. Porter is a beast but doesn't really fit the college RB mold. Even though WP could beat Christchurch, rushing for 1500 there will turn a few more heads than rushing for 1500 at WP. It's dumb but unfortunately a reality.

Rushing for 1500 at Christ Church is def worth more than rushing for 1500 at West Point given that West Point plays in the Tidewater district.

Never got a chance to see Porter in person but he has some good film out there. I am sure that WP will adjust and they will be just fine. From a distance I am most curious about Northumberland and Essex and how both react to replacing a significant portion of their O from last season. Just my .02

My opinion-
NND favorites are going to be Essex with Rapp and W&L challenging them for the NND Title. CB will always be a tough out. NHS will take steps back and not really sure what to think of LHS.
WP will have a decent core but I don't see them being able to cover the pass just like last year. The transfer move for Porter is a smart one b/c Christ Church has a good team coming back and he will put them in contention. I also agree that playing against the tidewater district does nothing to help his recruiting if he remained at West Point.
Northampton is a guessing game.
I think Mathews will be the surprise team of the Region.

Rappahanock it's now or never (1)
Essex will start weak but finish like Hercules (2)
Northumberland is there a culture change or was last year a fluke (3)
West Point is defense a value ?
Colonial Beach always tough but always not good enough to elevate to the next level

Rappahanock is my Region A Champ

Christchurch must have offered tuition waiver. For where Porter is projecting as far as CFB (D2 or D3), I just don’t see the point. Not saying he’s not elite at the small school level because he definitely is despite the All-State slight this past year. Just don’t think his CFB destination varies much at Class 1 WP vs Christchurch. I suspect the Christchurch FB staff just did a good job recruiting Porter and family and they liked the opportunity Christchurch was selling.

Reactions: MGF and trutiger16
Obviously there’s bias in my opinion. LOVED seeing him dominate for WP last year. Based on some of dad’s posts, it’s not a stretch to think this is about getting him AWAY from WP football more than about getting him TO Christchurch. If that makes sense.

It doesn't take a very talented Rb to be productive in a wing t offense it's deception rec ball at it's finest. No knock on the Beach or the kid just the truth.

Reactions: WP02alum
It doesn't take a very talented Rb to be productive in a wing t offense it's deception rec ball at it's finest. No knock on the Beach or the kid just the truth.

Agree. Stats will be misleading. But they weren’t running wing-T as their main O at Northumberland. It was a power-I with two fullbacks side by side leading him nearly every play. And he just drags kids forever...

I don’t know his measurables, & I’m sure that’s part of what’s holding him back from more. But he’s definitely that kid you want on your team!

Obviously there’s bias in my opinion. LOVED seeing him dominate for WP last year. Based on some of dad’s posts, it’s not a stretch to think this is about getting him AWAY from WP football more than about getting him TO Christchurch. If that makes sense.

Is there a reason why someone would want away from WP? I don't know if it's a bad area, or anything about them or the private school.

All I know is wanting them to win last year against Clarke (I think that was the matchup) as the smaller, seemingly outmanned team

Not usually. The school is top-rated academically. I believe it’s something like 30% of the students attending are from outside of the town school zone via paying tuition.

Northumberland will be down no doubt losing 18 seniors. It will be a rebuild year for sure I think 4 -6 ,5-5 next year. Their are some talented JV boys coming up next year give them a year and they will be back. I don't think they will ever be the group that this year's team was but will put up a fight.

CB running back transferring to W&L which strengthens them
Rapp returning many players from 2018
Essex lost some key players, but continue to reload as normal from the JV program
LHS will continue to struggle in the NND
Northumberland took a huge hit with graduation but had strong JV team
WP loss of Porter wasn't recruiting by CC, this transfer did not require a move as the NKHS was also on the short list
KW will contend for the tidewater crown even though they are 2A
Franklin and Sussex moved to Reg B, but the Tigers should be strong
Northampton should also be tough come playoff time as well
Summation- Strong football in 1A this Fall

WP loss of Porter wasn't recruiting by CC, this transfer did not require a move as the NKHS was also on the short list

Interesting. So it was definitely all about going “somewhere else”.

Essex lost some key players, but continue to reload as normal from the JV program
I didn’t know about CB’s RB transfer that’s big, I don’t think they will be as good as I thought but they always have good discipline so they’ll still be tough. KW took a big hit with the transfer of the Gresham brothers going to Lafayette, but they should still win their district because there’s no excuse not to but could WP finally beat them after 20 years.

Interesting. So it was definitely all about going “somewhere else”.
I know a guy from over in West Point area. I may have to give him a call and get the story on that. When an athlete usually goes somewhere like Christchurch, in my past experience it was because (most of the time) they got in trouble or aren't getting their way where they were. Especially for just one year.

W&L will be very interesting to watch this year especially with added help in the backfield.

CB still has their top RB/QB back I'm Davis which should be interesting.
W&L is gonna be a sneaky good team this year. Replacing the older McNeil kid will be tough as he was the heart of that team imo. Also will they have a QB that can actually make teams respect their passing game.
Gresham brothers are gone as well from the tidewater? Yeah, Porter def made the right decision to leave bc now their isn't really a reason to watch the tidewater district.

Not usually. The school is top-rated academically. I believe it’s something like 30% of the students attending are from outside of the town school zone via paying tuition.

Then I am not understanding your comments. And it could be something personal that doesn't need to be out, which is totally fine. But saying it was about getting him out of the area more than going to an area seems like something to that. I only asked you because you said it and are only WP person I know of and only because of your sn

Then I am not understanding your comments. And it could be something personal that doesn't need to be out, which is totally fine. But saying it was about getting him out of the area more than going to an area seems like something to that. I only asked you because you said it and are only WP person I know of and only because of your sn

Don’t know the details, but dad was fairly hostile towards the WP coaching decisions the last couple of seasons. Which is curious since they’ve since replaced that head coach.

Reactions: takes11 and MGF
Don’t know the details, but dad was fairly hostile towards the WP coaching decisions the last couple of seasons. Which is curious since they’ve since replaced that head coach.

That clears it up. The other post didn't clear up anything for why it was about leaving not the destination

The West Point coach wasn't replaced he relocated. The WP j.v. coach, Jack Lawson, was hired as the new head coach. He had several winning seasons and I believe all of the current players have played for him at some point.

Reactions: offmylawn
The West Point coach wasn't replaced he relocated. The WP j.v. coach, Jack Lawson, was hired as the new head coach. He had several winning seasons and I believe all of the current players have played for him at some point.

Yeah, but my understanding was they were going to move on last year and their new hire pulled out and the old coach agreed to come back. Not intending to disrespect the coach at all, just saying he was functionally “replaced” not saying he was fired or anything.

Reactions: MGF and BIGBLAQ628
Yeah, but my understanding was they were going to move on last year and their new hire pulled out and the old coach agreed to come back. Not intending to disrespect the coach at all, just saying he was functionally “replaced” not saying he was fired or anything.
Coach Briggs had intended on moving on last year and agreed to stay after the new hire took a job at another school. The school convinced him to stay on and he put his personal plans on hold to coach another year. Coach Briggs was a fixture with West Point football for a long time and will be greatly missed.

The purpose of my post is to clear up the speculation and shut down the rumor mill. Lawrence Porter is my son (big surprise for some of you). I sincerely appreciate all of the kind words and acknowledgement about Lawrence over the past 3 years by some of you on this message board.

Lawrence did not move because "he got into some kind of trouble". Lawrence has never been disciplined at school, is a member of NHS and has a 4.2 GPA and was on track to graduate with his Associates Degree from RCC prior to graduation. He was also was All Region in 3 sports with a couple of State Medals in Track; All State Chorus and an International Honor Thespian and represented WP Drama as The Phantom in England when he was just a Freshman. It goes without saying that it would take a lot to move him his senior year.

Lawrence left WP because he would not play for the new coach they hired. It is as simple as that. The new coach has a long history of overt resentment towards Lawrence (and other players). I'm not going to go into details in this forum, but instead of getting 2nd and 3rd hand information from the rumor mill, or speculating, you can feel free to contact me directly and get first hand information. Or, you can simply wait and let the season play out and it will be painfully obvious why Lawrence didn't want to play for the new coach.

And before anyone makes the statement that it was all my decision, let me put that to rest. Lawrence was not the only player who had issues with the new coach. 6 other rising seniors met with the Principle (on their own and without their parents) a week before the school board voted to hire the new coach to express that they did not want the candidate to be selected as the new HC. This is no big secret in the little town of WP. Many of the locals love the new coach because of just that--he is a local. And that's fine. There were about 30 applicants, some of which I personally know, and there were many that were painfully more qualified, some of which did not even get an invite to interview for the job. WP wanted this local guy and that's who they hired. Having a local coach was a higher importance than hiring a successful 3A, 4A or 5A coach. WP wanted a coach who was going to stay around for several years and they think the new coach will. WPPS made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.

Yes, Lawrence would have gone to another school his Junior year if Briggs did not stay on one more year. That's no big secret either. I am appreciative that Briggs put his personal life on hold to coach my son one more year. Lawrence would still be at WP if Briggs remained the HC for his senior year. Lawrence would still be at WP if any other HC was hired, which was no secret. 3 days after the hiring decision was made, we had several coaches inquire with us about where Lawrence would be playing his senior year, so he was not "recruited away" from WP--other coaches contacted him after the decision was made to hire the new coach.

Lawrence was not recruited by Christchurch. After the SB voted to hire the new coach, another WP football parent told us that CCS accepted day students and he didn't have to be a boarding student, which we were unaware of. We contacted CCS online 4 days after the WPSB hired then new coach. We did not want to rent somewhere else, or move if we didn't have to, so CCS was the best option on short notice--it is a 25 minute drive and he didn't have to reclassify as a junior and sit out a year. We own land in King William, but we could not get a home built in KW in time for Lawrence to transfer to KW and remain eligible to play his senior year. I'm a Cavalier and played for Roger Brooks, so I would have loved to see my son wear the Black and Gold his senior year, but it did not pan out that way.

I wish the WP Football "TEAM" the best for the upcoming season and we plan to be at every game (except one that coincides with a CCS football game) to cheer on the players, as I coached most of the 2020 players in rec league.

Reactions: WP02alum
The purpose of my post is to clear up the speculation and shut down the rumor mill. Lawrence Porter is my son (big surprise for some of you). I sincerely appreciate all of the kind words and acknowledgement about Lawrence over the past 3 years by some of you on this message board.

Lawrence did not move because "he got into some kind of trouble". Lawrence has never been disciplined at school, is a member of NHS and has a 4.2 GPA and was on track to graduate with his Associates Degree from RCC prior to graduation. He was also was All Region in 3 sports with a couple of State Medals in Track; All State Chorus and an International Honor Thespian and represented WP Drama as The Phantom in England when he was just a Freshman. It goes without saying that it would take a lot to move him his senior year.

Lawrence left WP because he would not play for the new coach they hired. It is as simple as that. The new coach has a long history of overt resentment towards Lawrence (and other players). I'm not going to go into details in this forum, but instead of getting 2nd and 3rd hand information from the rumor mill, or speculating, you can feel free to contact me directly and get first hand information. Or, you can simply wait and let the season play out and it will be painfully obvious why Lawrence didn't want to play for the new coach.

And before anyone makes the statement that it was all my decision, let me put that to rest. Lawrence was not the only player who had issues with the new coach. 6 other rising seniors met with the Principle (on their own and without their parents) a week before the school board voted to hire the new coach to express that they did not want the candidate to be selected as the new HC. This is no big secret in the little town of WP. Many of the locals love the new coach because of just that--he is a local. And that's fine. There were about 30 applicants, some of which I personally know, and there were many that were painfully more qualified, some of which did not even get an invite to interview for the job. WP wanted this local guy and that's who they hired. Having a local coach was a higher importance than hiring a successful 3A, 4A or 5A coach. WP wanted a coach who was going to stay around for several years and they think the new coach will. WPPS made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.

Yes, Lawrence would have gone to another school his Junior year if Briggs did not stay on one more year. That's no big secret either. I am appreciative that Briggs put his personal life on hold to coach my son one more year. Lawrence would still be at WP if Briggs remained the HC for his senior year. Lawrence would still be at WP if any other HC was hired, which was no secret. 3 days after the hiring decision was made, we had several coaches inquire with us about where Lawrence would be playing his senior year, so he was not "recruited away" from WP--other coaches contacted him after the decision was made to hire the new coach.

Lawrence was not recruited by Christchurch. After the SB voted to hire the new coach, another WP football parent told us that CCS accepted day students and he didn't have to be a boarding student, which we were unaware of. We contacted CCS online 4 days after the WPSB hired then new coach. We did not want to rent somewhere else, or move if we didn't have to, so CCS was the best option on short notice--it is a 25 minute drive and he didn't have to reclassify as a junior and sit out a year. We own land in King William, but we could not get a home built in KW in time for Lawrence to transfer to KW and remain eligible to play his senior year. I'm a Cavalier and played for Roger Brooks, so I would have loved to see my son wear the Black and Gold his senior year, but it did not pan out that way.

I wish the WP Football "TEAM" the best for the upcoming season and we plan to be at every game (except one that coincides with a CCS football game) to cheer on the players, as I coached most of the 2020 players in rec league.
Goodluck to the youngman, I'm sure he will do fine at CCHS.
DId any other WP Players transfer to CCHS or transfer out? You dont have to mention names, I'm just curious.

Appreciate the info, MGF. Sad it turned out this way (as a WP alum), but I REALLY appreciate you setting it all straight because you didn’t have to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT