ADVERTISEMENT

2A Boys: Dan River 64 Appomattox 55 - FINAL in OT

Mavahi had some people at the DR-Appo game on Friday, surely Appo had someone at Martinsville Saturday. I remember a road trip to Gate City a few years ago on a Tuesday night, don't know if I've gotten over that yet, may go again tommorow, just in case we can pull off the upset tommorow night.

Reactions: AntGZee
Yes, the Dawghouse is mos def a tough place to play. The first thing a person sees is all those state banners. Martinsville doesn't hang district or region titles, just those STATE banners.

Last edited:
Yes, the Dawghouse is mos def a tough place to play. The first thing a person sees is all those state banners. Martinsville does hang district or region titles, just those STATE banners.
Whoa? Just state banners huh? I LIKE IT BUDDY! LOL

If Appo did that, we wouldnt have banners in gym. Im born and raised Appo, but it is what it is. We have a 87 softball, 14' golf, and a few track state titles. Now we finally achieved a football one last season. That is why appo was so hype over the unbelievable season last year when whole town got behind team.

So we need a few regionals & districts to occupy space. Lol

I have faith in my Bulldawgs, they will be ready to play.

Our compliment of players are still there. All the numbers that u called off will be on the floor tomorrow nite.

Those numbers are occupied by different ballplayers now.

That's an old video. The fella ur asking about. U'll see and hear him tomorrow. He brings an intensity and fun to the game. One thing that u may hear him say is "If you're gonna cry what is the baby gonna do"?

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Some of those films after the first few are from 1-2 years ago. Hope the Appo folks realize that the game is at the middle school and not the high school. People have shown up late before thinking the gym is at the high school. Ant, root the boys on tommorow, I can't make it. Heading to swva for a little scouting mission just in case we can upset the Raiders. Hope the boys play well, and if it doesn't work out for the Dogs, it's been a fun ride with this bunch of seniors the last 4 years. Lot of memories with this bunch

Root my Dawgs on is automatic. I will root them without a doubt. It's no upset if we get this W. We go into expecting to win not hoping. I go with anticipation of getting that W. Appo will have to make a believer out of me. I have a feeling that Appo will realize when they step in the Dawghouse that Martinsville and Dan River are totally different teams.

I dont know, Advocate has just about convinced me we are the underdogs. Hope we show up with our A game tommorow, if not......

Come on dude?! how in anyway have i made u think we are not the underdogs? Yall are defending state champs and a well respected program.

Appo, that game they posted was a game against Patrick County and in that game #2 and a couple more kids were on a college football recruiting trip. To my knowledge#2 is the QB in football and a 4year starter at point guard in basketball. #3 is the lockdown defensive guy and is all over the place on defense. Ive seen you guys and the dogs play and it will be ALOT of athletes on the court, should be a good game.

It's time they got out of high school gyms on one team's home court. I wish they would go back to the days where all tournament games were on neutral sites.

HR, as the O'Jays sang " for the love of money". That's why they'll not go back to neutral sites for early round games. Go Dogs from here in beautiful downtown Gate City! Hope this trip was not in vain.

I just checked these msgs. I saw u too. I'm sure u know who Monk Man is. He was in the red jogging suit. We have crazy fans and we love our Bulldawgs. Be safe traveling back, I meant that.

I just checked these msgs. I saw u too. I'm sure u know who Monk Man is. He was in the red jogging suit. We have crazy fans and we love our Bulldawgs. Be safe traveling back, I meant that.
Yeah, i seen monk man! He a wild dude. I seen him before. I seen him at AAU and DR games.
Sorry i missed ya.
Yall got a strong team. Never seen a team work zone D so good. I didnt see anyone flashing on our team consistently. We didnt work baseline well either. Yall shoot lights out! Everyone hits the 3!!! Amazing!!!
My only gripe would be 15 getting a foul called every time he got tapped. He hooked our guys all night long and never got called 1 time. I like to see towns get behind their local sports like ur town did in basketball.
#3s D is amazing. I found him after game to shake hand and give props. Yall still had the better team.
Okay okay...one more gripe. I never wanna see a kid get hurt, but 'a coach' that leaves his starters in all game (when u up by 40) deserves a kid to get hurt. Would have been a shame if #15 blowout a ACL for rest of playoffs. Not to mention a D1 scholarship on the line. Pitiful

Last edited:
MM keeps the game entertaining. Cam Bradley is our Tasmanian Devil on D. He made first team cuz of his D. In Vonnte's defense, he was getting beat up down low, there should have been more fouls called. I agree mid way thru the 4th, all starters should have been out. I don't ever want to see any kid get hurt. We played as a team. We keep that up then I see our 15th CHIP going up. Ur kids can really shoot 3s.

Reactions: James Holland
I saw ya sitting up behind the bench as well.

Question since you've seen them both in the last few days - Martinsville versus DR - who ya got and by how much??

Question since you've seen them both in the last few days - Martinsville versus DR - who ya got and by how much??
Depends on what DR team shows up. DR and Mville are about even talent wise, but the Dawgs are way more consistent than the Catz. If DR plays their brand of basketball then it's going to be tough for any team to beat them, but if they play the way they played against Altavista (second game) and Halifax (second game) then Mville will blow them out by 15+. Dan River loves the big games. They should be prepared for the Dawgs. JoJo Reynolds can shoot it with the best of them from behind the arch and Zemar Anderson and Devin Stone should be first team 2a. Rod Womble Jr is a problem too.

I got M'ville beating D.R. easy if they prevent JoJo from hitting that 3! Another reason is tall #33 is hurt with hand injury. There is no one strong enough to guard Hollands for Mville. Easy win for Mville.

I got M'ville beating D.R. easy if they prevent JoJo from hitting that 3! Another reason is tall #33 is hurt with hand injury. There is no one strong enough to guard Hollands for Mville. Easy win for Mville.
Not bashing your opinion but a much weaker Dan River team beat a really good Martinsville team a year ago in the Regional Final. Wildcats won't back down and it will no where be "easy", all due respect to you. I know a lot of the kids on DR's from playing ball at the Y this past summer and these kids will play the Dogs tougher than any team they'll play. They were in there getting better for moments like this.

MM keeps the game entertaining.

Entertainment is no excuse to play starters with a future at playing at next level when they are up by 40??? That is an idiot for a coach! Not butt-hurt, just being real. I would be screaming at the top of my lungs at our coach if he was doing that. As fans, yall need to care more about your kids than that. This isnt the NBA, it high school players trying to get to next level.

That is one thing I commended our football coach for and that is playing your reserves when you are smashing a team. Our starting Raiders played 2 and half qtrs majority of the season and that is including the playoffs. I respect that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Not bashing your opinion but a much weaker Dan River team beat a really good Martinsville team a year ago in the Regional Final. Wildcats won't back down and it will no where be "easy", all due respect to you. I know a lot of the kids on DR's from playing ball at the Y this past summer and these kids will play the Dogs tougher than any team they'll play. They were in there getting better for moments like this.
And I hope what you are saying comes true. Yall better be prepared, they are NO JOKE!!!

Glad i came to Gate City. Congrats Appomattox on a good year and on the football championship

Safe travels back home to you and whoever you came with! However, I hate you payed to see such a sloppy mess of a game tonight. Im grateful GC won.....but the first 2 periods were some of the worst basketball I've seen played. Both teams were very nervous and you could tell their mind was playing at a faster pace than their bodies could actually catch up to.

If GC plays that way Friday they will lose by 25+....and that's just the way it is.

Reactions: James Holland
Excuse me!!!! Didn't Martinsville beat Dan River for the state championship last year? The Dan River team from last year is better than this one by far.
No doubt about that. Martinsville went 2-1 against the Catz last year. Martinsville was 3x better than Dan River, but DR is waaay better than last year. They lost Tremaine Edmunds, who in no way a loss on the basketball court ,IMHO, and Rod Womble and Zemar Anderson were both injured in the playoffs. I'm no Dan River fan by any means and Martinsville could very well blow them out this weekend, but I have to say that this year's DR team is much better than last year's.

Dan River did lose Curtis Stephens "Q" to graduation this past year. He was a very good PG and a game changer. He almost singlehandedly beat Bruton in the 2014 state championship game. No disrespect to Maine Edmunds in my previous post but he was a great football player and was a solid rebounder on the basketball team, but not necessarily a big loss. Should be a great game this weekend. GL to both teams.

T.Edumunds got the best of the match up in the Western Conference finals. When that match up came about in that state championship, then Holland was the better player. When Edmunds got in foul trouble then Holland kept his onslaught going. Dan River doesn't have Edmunds this year. I would love to know who plans to check Holland lol. The thing is, the rest of the kids in the line up can shoot and create their own shoot. I also have to mention that the players are very unselfish on the offensive end. They play good enough D to keep most teams at bay. Dawgs have played very good teams this year. Losses to Radford, Northside and GW Danville prepared them for the playoffs. Other than Eastern Alamance and Appo, who else tough has DR played?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT