ADVERTISEMENT

2A Boys: Dan River 64 Appomattox 55 - FINAL in OT

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Dan River extends home winning streak to 55 wins with win over Raiders 64-55 in OT.

Both move to regional tourney.

Reactions: AntGZee
This was an amazing game to watch. Appo was up entire game. Dan River knows how to pull off a win in that place. I applaud them. Would have loved to get that win.

Appo wasnt subbing 3rd,4th and OT. Our kids were exhausted.

Good win D.R.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Appo is what I thought they were. They're going to be as tough as any team to beat in 2a. Not many go to Dan River and play the Catz that tough. DR has a what?? 50+ game winning streak at home? I know they haven't lost since Gretna beat them back in early 2011. Good luck to the Raiders and Wildcats.

Now if Appo pulls off magic and beats the glorified, unbeatable, and highly praised Martinsville Bulldogs on Tuesday, does that mean we host the next game at home?

Glorified? Unbeatable? Don't think so check the record. Highly praised? They should be, made the final 4 in '14, won it all in '15, and have chance to repeat in '16, basically with the same kids. Does that mean they will win Tuesday? No. They have to show up and play just like Appo. Good thing we aren't playing fball, then we would have to play the glorified, unbeatable, highly praised Raiders. And if you do win Tuesday which is quite possible, I'll be here to sing the Raiders praises, will you do the same? Also if you win, you will make the trip to beautiful downtown Wise,Va to play Friday at the UVA-Wise Convocation Center against the winner of the Gate-City-Richlands game. Will we see you at the Dog House Tuesday?

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Glorified? Unbeatable? Don't think so check the record. Highly praised? They should be, made the final 4 in '14, won it all in '15, and have chance to repeat in '16, basically with the same kids. Does that mean they will win Tuesday? No. They have to show up and play just like Appo. Good thing we aren't playing fball, then we would have to play the glorified, unbeatable, highly praised Raiders. And if you do win Tuesday which is quite possible, I'll be here to sing the Raiders praises, will you do the same? Also if you win, you will make the trip to beautiful downtown Wise,Va to play Friday at the UVA-Wise Convocation Center against the winner of the Gate-City-Richlands game. Will we see you at the Dog House Tuesday?
I will definitely be there. Taking day off so i can be there. The kids on this team are like my own. They went to my youth groups in church during middle school days. Gotta be there to support.
I was being scarcastic because there are some on here from Bulldog country that dont stop with wise cracks and sarcasm. These kids played bulldogs in AAU, so they are familiar with each other.

Should be plenty of seats, Dog fans don't turn out like they used to unless it's GW-Danville or Magna Vista. What kind of crowd will come from Appomatox? Also heard last night the game was at 6:00, have you heard the same. Oh, beware of Monk Man, that's all I'll say you will pick him out :20 seconds into the game. He's worth the price of admission to listen to all night

Should be plenty of seats, Dog fans don't turn out like they used to unless it's GW-Danville or Magna Vista. What kind of crowd will come from Appomatox? Also heard last night the game was at 6:00, have you heard the same. Oh, beware of Monk Man, that's all I'll say you will pick him out :20 seconds into the game. He's worth the price of admission to listen to all night
I heard about this MONK MAN on here couple weeks back. Gonna be interesting....
Yeah, heard 6 PM.
Appo will not travel well, parents and some relatives with stragglers (old timers) will show up. I say it might be like 30 (if that).

Very good post. Yes the fans from Appomattox will know Monk Man instantly lol. Bulldawgs are far from unbeatable. I think most of it is due to Coach Adkins loving that 2-3 zone so much. I feel it will be a good game.

Ant, about the 2-3, i think coach does it to keep 15 from getting in foul trouble. Our guards are quick but when we do play man to man they gamble alot for steals and leave Devontae at the basket 1 on 2. Recipe for foul trouble, and we're a little different team without him. Good luck to the Dogs on Tuesday, looks like they'll need it, Appo took DR to limit this past Friday so they are capable of coming into the Doghouse and pulling off the win.

I like that 1-3-1, especially against teams that can shoot from the outside. Trust me, I'm not underestimating Appomattox. I have been keeping up with them. I'm fully aware of the fits that they have been giving DR. I think one big problem that we present to Appomattox is Holland. I also believe that the refs call cheap calls and it takes away from the overall game.

Well He have an answer for Holland, but coach has him on the bench. We have a 6'4 235 pounder that has played holland in AAU and held him down. Not saying we won them games, but may had lost by 10 or so in the games I have witnessed. I dont see us winning unless we play Marquise Morgan on Holland. Coach has been keeping him on bench lately (but he been leading scorer in many games coming off bench). Holland has too much strength for the Graves, buster henderson, or Perkins. I dont want to give yall too much on these boards. LOL

If our shot is falling and we are due a good game with our shot to fall at a higher percentage OR we play two consistent halves of basketball, it should be a long night for bulldawgs. Plus coach has to use our bench more than he has in last few games. 2 or 3 minutes goes a long way when you playing all of the 3rd and 4th qtr. Dan River exposed us bad, DR coach had fresh set of legs in the game because he knew he was gonna catch us when we got tired and his planned work GREAT! We played 3 games in 3 consecutive days and our boys ran out of gas vs. Dan River. Thankfully we had a few days rest going into this big game.

I think it will be a battle. I always give teams their proper due Appo has played Dan River tuff and that in itself is an accomplishment. Will u be at the game?

Well, the Dawgs will be ready. We have been known to frustrate teams that visit the Dawghouse.

I think it will be a battle. I always give teams their proper due Appo has played Dan River tuff and that in itself is an accomplishment. Will u be at the game?
Yes, I just now found out it will be at 7 PM, not 6. I was going to take day off. I will be wearing dark gray appo hoodie and Appo hat (light gray).

Well, the Dawgs will be ready. We have been known to frustrate teams that visit the Dawghouse.
Im looking for yall to definitely give us a tough game. One thing I like about Appo late in the season is their heart to climb back into games that they may have been down 10 or so. We came up short vs DR by 2 first go round and 2nd go round we came back within 3 two times and couldnt seal it at the end. Friday we were just exhausted and blew a lead we had since beginning of game.

What happened in the 2 games with Chatham? One was a loss and the other was a nail biting 1 or 2 point win if I recall.

I will be there too as long as the big guy upstairs gives me breath :).... I'm a huge Bulldawg fan. I usually sit near half court, bottom row. I'll have on a Bulldawgs hat and t-shirt. Usually, I will be waving a red terrible towel :)

What happened in the 2 games with Chatham? One was a loss and the other was a nail biting 1 or 2 point win if I recall.
both were decided by 1 or 2 points. Chatham is a scrappy team that makes you play to their levels. First game was beginning of season adn our boys was in football mode and shot poorly. they were beating our press bad and just getting a lot of transition points. Plus chatham had a great night shooting. Second game was a scrappy game and we had a bad 1st half, turned it around in second.

both were decided by 1 or 2 points. Chatham is a scrappy team that makes you play to their levels. First game was beginning of season adn our boys was in football mode and shot poorly. they were beating our press bad and just getting a lot of transition points. Plus chatham had a great night shooting.

If I'm counting right, the first one was Appo's 7th game of the season wasn't it? Hard to blame football mode at that point I would say. I only bring up Chatham specifically because that's a team that MHS folks have seen.

If I'm counting right, the first one was Appo's 7th game of the season wasn't it? Hard to blame football mode at that point I would say. I only bring up Chatham specifically because that's a team that MHS folks have seen.
I thought that game was played earlier in season. I definitely know that they was shooting lights out. We had a PG (sophomore ) at that time that was averaging 6-8 TOs a game. Coach finally decided to play him as a wingman and he can shoot if ya let him set up and pop. This has helped team out tremendously. I knew he wasnt PG material, but if i remember right, he had a bunch of TOs that game along with others. I do remember them breaking our press all night long and getting backside layups. Plus our helpside D was horrible as well. I was so pissed at that game.

Qb was Dandrige, the starting pg/fwd. About 6'2". Bradley #3, he's like the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character, he never stops. Made 1st team all conference soley on his defensive play, heard one of the other coaches in conference day that his kids said when he came out on you it was like a one man double team. Hope the Dogs can keep it close Tuesday, sounds like they have an answer for #15 and they're due to shoot really well and also they handled Chatham 1 out of 2 games. I believe we may be in a world of hurt, especially if our kids are big headed from being "glorified,unbeatable, and highly praised".

Three losses Radford at Radford 52-49, Northside 60-52 at Roanoke college in a game we led all but the last 3:15 of the game, and at GW-Danville 51-47. We beat Radford at home 61-41 and GW at home 52-48

Our team knows what's at stake. I believe that they'll be ready come game time.

It does bother me a bit to play in such a hard place to compete at and it will be 1st time we have seen M'ville. Altavista and D.R. are both hard to play in as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT