ADVERTISEMENT

2A Girls: Floyd/Ridgeview & Wilson/Union

Keith_Stone33

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2013
Looks like we will have 2 good matchups in the semis this week. Coming into the tournament I felt that Floyd was the favorite to win the whole thing, but if I were to rank the final 4, I would have Floyd as number 4 due to me finally being exposed to Ridgeview (who I would put at 1) and Union (who I would put at 2). Not trying to take a jab at Floyd here, just giving props to the other teams.

After seeing Floyd vs BG, I dont think they matchup well with Wilson, and if they both win, I think Wilson takes the trophy, but Wilson has a tough opponent this week in Union. Based on common opponents, Union is the favorite, but I wouldnt put a whole lot of faith in the score differences at this time of year, simply because its all about matchups. Wilson has a travel advantage as their trip to Richmond is quite shorter, and I know personally that this group of seniors wants to win this one bad

Yeah, if you take what WM did to Chatham and then what Union did to Chatham, then Union should beat WM by 20-25. Any given team on any given day can beat anyone... so even though it looks good for Union, it's not necessarily the way the cards will shuffle. As far as us vs. Floyd, I am really nervous about the matchup. We beat them by 12 in Wise but it was a gritty hard fought close ballgame. Much closer than the final score indicates. Everyone has now taken notice of the Lady Wolfpack, and it makes me nervous to be labeled the favorite. Lol.

I will say this, after yesterday it is readily apparent that at least in 1A and 2A, the East has a long way to go to catch up with the talent in the West in girls basketball. 3 out of 4 in the final four in both classes are from the West. This ARGS team though seems to be the real deal in 1A. Can't wait to see them.

Yeah, if you take what WM did to Chatham and then what Union did to Chatham, then Union should beat WM by 20-25. Any given team on any given day can beat anyone... so even though it looks good for Union, it's not necessarily the way the cards will shuffle. As far as us vs. Floyd, I am really nervous about the matchup. We beat them by 12 in Wise but it was a gritty hard fought close ballgame. Much closer than the final score indicates. Everyone has now taken notice of the Lady Wolfpack, and it makes me nervous to be labeled the favorite. Lol.

I will say this, after yesterday it is readily apparent that at least in 1A and 2A, the East has a long way to go to catch up with the talent in the West in girls basketball. 3 out of 4 in the final four in both classes are from the West. This ARGS team though seems to be the real deal in 1A. Can't wait to see them.
One thing about Floyd that really impressed me yesterday was their FT shooting. They were knocking them down, and that is big this time of the year. You're right about ridgeview as they arent going to surprise anyone anymore, folks all over the state know about them now lol

Pretty sure Buffalo Gap finished SIXTH in their DISTRICT and gave Floyd all they wanted...... I wouldn't knock the east too much....
Well at least I wouldn't knock the Shenandoah District :)

I'd take the Fab Four from the CMC (Ridgeview, Union, Gate City and Wise Central) and put them up against the top four from any other 2A district in Virginia, and I think the CMC would probably sweep or at the least win three out of four.

How many schools, are combined to make up Ridgeview, Union and Wise Central?

I thought that there were 3 schools that made up Ridgeview.

Ervinton closed several years ago and the majority of their students went to Haysi the last several years.

Reactions: AntGZee
Thanks for the info. Ridgeview is a good basketball team.

Yes. Technically, this would be the second straight state title for the majority of these girls if they can pull it off this weekend. The majority of the Ridgeview team was on last year's Clintwood 1A title team.

I think I remember Clintwood. They hv a set of twins on the team, correct?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT