ADVERTISEMENT

35 point rule

NND Sports Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 1, 2002
How exactly is this handled in Virginia. I've seen about 3 different ways throughout the years since it was impleented

Below is the 35 point mercy rule verbatim from the VHSL handbook. “Ready for play” = the referee’s whistle. Hope this helps!

PM 68-4-1 (1) FOOTBALL POINT RULE - When a thirty-five (35) point differential is reached at half-time or at any point during the second half, the game clock will continue to run anytime there is an incomplete pass, the runner goes out of bounds or the offensive team obtains a first down.
Additionally, when the mercy rule is in effect and there is a:
- Change of possession the clock will stop for substitutions and setting the chains and then start
on the ready for play signal.
- Score, the clock will stop for the extra point. The clock will run by rule during the subsequent
free kick, then after setting the chains, started on the ready for play signal.
- Charged timeout, the clock will stop and then start on the ready for play signal following the timeout.
Should the point differential subsequently be reduced to less than thirty-five points, game officials will discontinue the use of this timing adjustment. This adoption will be utilized during the regular season and playoff games and at all levels of play (varsity and sub-varsity). This adjustment may not be utilized when Rule 3-1-3 is in effect.
Rule 3-1-3 states the following: ART. 3...A period or periods may be shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. By mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee, any remaining period may be shortened at any time, or the game terminated.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
IRL... When the score is 35 or more after halftime, the clock runs, usually stopping only for TDs or the end of the quarter, depending on the way the clock operator is feeling.

The first game in which I ever saw this rule the ECO had the clock running non-stop with the exception of the change of quarters when obviously the clock worked down to 00:00.

The first game in which I ever saw this rule the ECO had the clock running non-stop with the exception of the change of quarters when obviously the clock worked down to 00:00.
It’s only supposed to stop for scores, changes of possession, team and official’s timeouts, injuries/equipment issues, end of period, and penalty administration. For all but scores, it winds back up immediately after completion. So if there’s not a lot of scoring or fouls, it can seem to run continuously. Not to say that there aren’t ECO’s and officials who make mistakes with this rule, because that does happen.

Last edited:
I've had it work different ways. The rules above are the way it's supposed to work.

I've had games where the teams weren't all that different, but the game just got away from one of them. We kept it by the book and if it got under 35 points it reverted back. Sometimes that happens.

But I've also had coaches whose team is over matched say "just run it." I had a game one night that was 55-0 at half and I don't think the losing team had as many tackles as the winning team haad TDs. The losing team had about 20 players.

Oh ya, it was 40 degrees and raining. The clock operator started it at the second half kick off and exactly 12 minutes later the third quarter was over. We switched ends, I blew the whistle and 12 minutes after that we all left the field.

I'm often cognizant that these situations are when kids who don't play much actually get on the field, so I'm not going to try to rush through it, even if there is a running clock. But that night even the reserves wanted to get out of there.

Last edited:
I had a game one night that was 55-0 at half...

55 ?

WHO? What? When? Where?

I've been looking for YEARS for a 50 at the half. Had TWO Daggoneit! ones in the past month...
Union had 35 with 7+ left against Gate City, but only got 1 more TD.
Giles GAVE UP at least 56 Friday night, but it was to non-VHSLer North Cross.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT