ADVERTISEMENT

4A Early Rankings

Charlottesville has been a program on the rise for a couple of years now. They came to Danville in 2013 and gave GW all they could handle and really should've won that game. They gave Salem a decent test in the first round this past year, where most of you predicted they may lose by 50+. They're well coached and have a lot of athletes. Wouldn't be surprised to see them mess a couple of brackets up come November.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Trying to help out the uniformed. They are stuck on the same programs while there are other schools ready to make a jump especially in the West. No one saw JF coming last year and if they claim they did they are lying.
Correct. No one saw JF coming. Now, we get to see if there is an actual program. I see it all the time. Lose the big gun or guns and there's a major dip. For JF, no Navy Jones = big dip. I feel the same about GW Danville. They lose over 50 TD's with their Senior graduates. There are teams that always reload. There are teams that pop their load. IMO, GW and JF have popped. Proving me wrong would make me very happy. It means they've officially become programs and that's a good thing.

If you are thinking Charlottesville will be good, you could be correct. It happens. History and the nature of the program says no. Somehow and someway, we hear the same thing about Charlottesville every year. I'm not sure where this comes from but the results remain the same. GL to all in 2015.

Not sure where you got that info but our QB last year was a SR, Malik Bartee. He's headed to Ferrum in the fall. Not sure who our QB will be until August, couple of good looking options who are competing as we speak. We were 4-7 last year, we shouldn't be on the radar until we post a winning record. Come on August, tick-tock-tick-tock.
Sorry One Man I was thinking in last years playoff game with Salem, they kept saying on the radio that the QB was a Freshman. Maybe I was thinking of some other team. I was stuck in the hospital at the time so I didn't get to see the game. Best of luck to you this year, hopefully you guys can live up to all of this preseason hype we're giving you here.

Correct. No one saw JF coming. Now, we get to see if there is an actual program. I see it all the time. Lose the big gun or guns and there's a major dip. For JF, no Navy Jones = big dip. I feel the same about GW Danville. They lose over 50 TD's with their Senior graduates. There are teams that always reload. There are teams that pop their load. IMO, GW and JF have popped. Proving me wrong would make me very happy. It means they've officially become programs and that's a good thing.

If you are thinking Charlottesville will be good, you could be correct. It happens. History and the nature of the program says no. Somehow and someway, we hear the same thing about Charlottesville every year. I'm not sure where this comes from but the results remain the same. GL to all in 2015.
We have to keep reminding you Shaunty, Navy Jones is a returning Sr this year. I'm not sure what else they return, but Navy is a game changer. I expected 6 wins and a first round playoff loss from JF, but Coach Christmas exceeded expectations. He's a former LU assistant and I think his focus was strength training if I'm not mistaken. With a full year under his belt they should be much stronger on the line. Their DL was abysmal last year. I saw the Liberty Bedford game on TV last year while I was in the hospital and both teams DL were just getting shoved around. Offense had free reign, it was like watching an NBA All Star Game.

Charlottesville has been a program on the rise for a couple of years now. They came to Danville in 2013 and gave GW all they could handle and really should've won that game. They gave Salem a decent test in the first round this past year, where most of you predicted they may lose by 50+. They're well coached and have a lot of athletes. Wouldn't be surprised to see them mess a couple of brackets up come November.
I do think they will be on the rise but Salem could have easily won that by 50+ if they didn't call the dogs off.

Reactions: one man
We have to keep reminding you Shaunty, Navy Jones is a returning Sr this year. I'm not sure what else they return, but Navy is a game changer. I expected 6 wins and a first round playoff loss from JF, but Coach Christmas exceeded expectations. He's a former LU assistant and I think his focus was strength training if I'm not mistaken. With a full year under his belt they should be much stronger on the line. Their DL was abysmal last year. I saw the Liberty Bedford game on TV last year while I was in the hospital and both teams DL were just getting shoved around. Offense had free reign, it was like watching an NBA All Star Game.
Thanks Mike. Stand corrected again. Navy Jones is a major game changer and changes my prediction completely.

Your in Maryland right shaunt? August 28, make the trip over to Loudoun County for the Dominion-Charlottesville game. It'll be well worth the price of admission and maybe we can change your mind. I'm not saying we will, only one way to find out though. You have so little faith in us and also know nothing about what we'll bring to the table in 2015. Look at it this way, at very worst, you can watch Dominion, who I know will be a playoff contender come December, and you can also meet yours truly afterwards.
That I may do as I intend to see a lot of VA games this year. I'm sure there are some good teams in MD. I haven't see them all by any means. The ones in my local area are kindly unimpressive. As far as Charlottesville goes, my history and games seen all tell me they are the team you want to schedule for homecoming. I have heard many that think they can evaluate talent extole their virtues over the last two years. The bottom line is, the results remain the same. Hopefully, I will be wrong again but it will remain my opinion that Dominion will blow them out on 28 August by +3 TD's.

Reactions: one man
Shaunty, weren't you out in Missouri during some or all of football season? If so, I know you are glad to be back close to VA football.

One Man, was Chartlottesvile able to get that JM and other 7 on 7 rescheduled?

Not that this has much bearing on anything, but with JF being a surprisingly good football team, and then winning the baseball championship, I wonder if it doesn't signal a changed focus on their entire athletic program out there?

And Mike, stay the hell out of the hospital this year, ok?

Shaunty, weren't you out in Missouri during some or all of football season? If so, I know you are glad to be back close to VA football.

Not that this has much bearing on anything, but with JF being a surprisingly good football team, and then winning the baseball championship, I wonder if it doesn't signal a changed focus on their entire athletic program out there?

That's the plan DP, but my body doesn't always listen to my mind.

We are a bunch of homers who really have no idea - the "experts" on espn predict college teams to play for a national championship then that team loses 5 games. You also always see those teams that start out unranked and are in the hunt for the nat'l championship. This is just a bunch of guys throwin it against the wall and seeing what sticks because we love football and it's fun to discuss.

My question to you is - what's the buzz in Amherst about the Lancers this year? A lot coming back? Any young talent? Would like to hear your thoughts!

I wish I knew what to tell you. I usually have heard something by now. We have had a great Bteam and JV for the 3 years now so I think it is time and should be. With not such a brutal schedule as before, a few wins should lift up their confident instead of starting off with such a disappointing start to a season. I am ready for a decent season to start

If I had to guess I would say 4A Preseason poll might look like:

1. LT
2. Dinwiddie
3. Sherando
4. Courtland
5. Salem
6. Jefferson Forest
7. Monacan
8. GW Danville
9. Heritage
10. Woodgrove

And I'm still saying don't sleep on Charlottesville... The Amherst Salem game to open the season really has my attention to I think Amherst may have what it takes to possibly pull the early season shocker.
I hope you are correct, one thing is for sure, will be a great crowd

Your in Maryland right shaunt? August 28, make the trip over to Loudoun County for the Dominion-Charlottesville game. It'll be well worth the price of admission and maybe we can change your mind. I'm not saying we will, only one way to find out though. You have so little faith in us and also know nothing about what we'll bring to the table in 2015. Look at it this way, at very worst, you can watch Dominion, who I know will be a playoff contender come December, and you can also meet yours truly afterwards.
Let Shaun talk and sleep, he's not worth trying to impress.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

You either need to stick to the Fredericksburg area or educate yourself as you obviously have a blind spot when you get out of your area of familiarity. As far as declaring someone a program what exactly would you consider the criteria to be defined a program? The latest "popping their load" and "officially becoming a program" is good for laughs but, exhibits a lack of understanding on your part of the history of the football programs at both GW and Jefferson Forest.

JM cancelled 7 on 7. We'll be at Central-Woodstock saturday. Mix of big schools and small schools expected, Massaponax and James Robinson are biggest.

If you follow the Wachovia Cup that VHSL gives out for schools that show excellence in all sports. JF was top 3 in old AA for something like 19 years in a row. They won it 5 or 6 times over that span too. They are good in every sport except boys and girls basketball. Football had some down years in the 2000s but they pump out D1 athletes in baseball, softball, boys and girls soccer, cross country and golf. Volleyball they are at least average and usually pretty good. Swimming they are usually elite as well. Wealthy community that invest in youth athletics. Probably the main reason why everyone in the Lynchburg area despises them and loves to beat them.

Ok, that explains the animosity I've heard over the years directed at JF. I asked a couple of times but never got a clear cut answer. In fact, a couple of folks said I was reading it wrong. I just saw an underlying tone that seemed like they were not given credit for what I saw as a pretty good school and good athletic program's. But I was unaware of the Wachovia Cup success. Wow! It's not a sin to be affluent, or successful. No more than it's a sin to be poor, or not standout successful. I think some people just get bothered by other's success?

Being that I'm a long way from out there, I really have no personal knowledge of attitudes before or against the school. So I'll pass on any further comments of my own.

Man oh man, it's going to be brutal out on the field by Saturday afternoon. You and the kids drink up and stay safe. I was looking forward to hearing your take on JM, (since they are our opening game). You will get to see what a couple of the big boys have, though. And before anyone blast me, I know, 7 on 7 means virtually nothing. But it's still fun to hear football talk.

Speaking of football talk, I don't think your Black Knights are under the radar this year. A lot of folks are mentioning your team as one of the better teams in the west. Maybe not so much on this thread, but I've heard your team mentioned by some people I respect. Can you post your schedule yet?

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
You either need to stick to the Fredericksburg area or educate yourself as you obviously have a blind spot when you get out of your area of familiarity. As far as declaring someone a program what exactly would you consider the criteria to be defined a program? The latest "popping their load" and "officially becoming a program" is good for laughs but, exhibits a lack of understanding on your part of the history of the football programs at both GW and Jefferson Forest.
Prove me wrong and make me happy. Mike Salem has already corrected me on JF and Navy Jones. He returns this year and he is a major game changer. I'm wrong on one before the season even starts. Nothing makes me feel different yet on GW. Lose 50 TD's and that's a load. Laugh all you want. Your problem, as always, is proving me wrong and being upset when you can't. I don't care about being wrong. I appreciate and try to use the mantra of learning something new every day. Being wrong is part of that process and where that lesson comes from is inconsequential to me. Unfortunately, you have yet to be a contributor. I look forward to the day it is and will have no issue acknowledging it when it comes. GL in 2015.

JF lowest scoring output last year in any game (28) is a credit to the precision and effort that those kids played with and the coaching behind it. Somebody on here said they knew the secret to stopping the triple option and that Liberty did that (only gave up 28 in the win????). Equally as impressive was their special teams play. Their defense however was BAD. 9 games of over 20 Pts or more scored against so if Shaunt is right and there is a 14 drop off in Pts per game then the games will be much closer. Navy Jones is a BEAST and it is fun watching them play.

Somehow and someway, we hear the same thing about Charlottesville every year. I'm not sure where this comes from but the results remain the same. GL to all in 2015.

I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember anyone talking up Charlottesville before the last 6 months or so. They haven't had a winning season since '02, why would anyone talk them up? They have some athletes for sure but they need to build some excitement for the program. If I remember right they didn't have many players in the program so injuries really hurt them because they didn't have the depth. I hope for one man's sake they have a breakthrough year.

JF lowest scoring output last year in any game (28) is a credit to the precision and effort that those kids played with and the coaching behind it. Somebody on here said they knew the secret to stopping the triple option and that Liberty did that (only gave up 28 in the win????). Equally as impressive was their special teams play. Their defense however was BAD. 9 games of over 20 Pts or more scored against so if Shaunt is right and there is a 14 drop off in Pts per game then the games will be much closer. Navy Jones is a BEAST and it is fun watching them play.
Navy Jones brings a lot to the table. He has speed that elevates the offense and special teams. Another key element to JF's success is Coach Christmas. Wherever he goes he brings success. A title at LCA & 2 at JF. The team he coached in Georgia went from losing seasons to deep playoff runs. JF was an average team since Christmas left JF for Georgia, one year back and they're 12-1. He runs a good system and he is a stickler for hitting the weights hard and off season conditioning. I think with a full year under his belt, there will be improvement in the defensive line because there will be a real focus on strength training and conditioning.

I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember anyone talking up Charlottesville before the last 6 months or so. They haven't had a winning season since '02, why would anyone talk them up? They have some athletes for sure but they need to build some excitement for the program. If I remember right they didn't have many players in the program so injuries really hurt them because they didn't have the depth. I hope for one man's sake they have a breakthrough year.
And because so many of the kids like to be knuckleheads and not listen to the coaches repeatedly hound them about drinking their water, the beginning of every season is especially bad for them because they cramp up and drop like flies. There's no way they take those losses to EV, Culpeper and Glass two years ago without half the team cramping up. Should be at least a .500 team. Then they took it to Powhatan two years ago and should've beaten GW. I thought that success would carry over to early last season, but of course more cramping. Hopefully one man will put his foot down and get them listening early this year. :cool: Saturday's heat won't be fun.

Prove me wrong and make me happy. Mike Salem has already corrected me on JF and Navy Jones. He returns this year and he is a major game changer. I'm wrong on one before the season even starts. Nothing makes me feel different yet on GW. Lose 50 TD's and that's a load. Laugh all you want. Your problem, as always, is proving me wrong and being upset when you can't. I don't care about being wrong. I appreciate and try to use the mantra of learning something new every day. Being wrong is part of that process and where that lesson comes from is inconsequential to me. Unfortunately, you have yet to be a contributor. I look forward to the day it is and will have no issue acknowledging it when it comes. GL in 2015.
First I asked you your definition of a program which you conveniently ignored. My previous post challenged your contention that GW and JF weren't programs and contended it showed your lack of knowledge on Virginia HS football outside the Fredericksburg area. Second as one man already educated you on JF now you get a lesson on GW. For the last 50 years, could go back further but, no need, GW has been a perennial playoff contender with multiple state championships and additional appearances in the state semifinal round mostly at the highest(AAA and 6A) level in addition to regular regional berths. They have placed a large number of players at the D-1 level(ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC and PAC-12), untold numbers in lower divisions, and in the NFL with multiple awards(All Pro, NFL Defensive Rookie of Year, etc.). As with any program that has been around that long and gone through multiple coaches they have had some down years, mostly few and far between, and easily outnumbered by winning seasons. Again, I'll ask you what your definition of a program is? I believe most would agree the previous description provided more than satisfies any definition you could come up with. GW lost some production from last year, however, they will replace it just fine and, truth be told, the kid that started and produced those numbers at quarterback(now walking on at UVA) probably wouldn't have even started had GW not lost their original starter to an eligibility issue when the new staff was transitioning in. Tim Glass, an NCSU recruit, returns to GW so he will fill in nicely for Malik Clements who went to Cincinnati and should Coach Anderson wish he could play QB as well, although my understanding is they have several other good candidates.

I really have had no problem proving you wrong countless times on these boards if you were truly honest with yourself, the above being just the most recent. You have been offered multiple opportunities in the past to explain or clarify what you post but, just like in this case, your get indignant, spout out another personal attack and or run and hide until the furor blows over. As far as being a contributor here I have no problem standing on my posting history on these boards and letting others judge our respective contributions.

And because so many of the kids like to be knuckleheads and not listen to the coaches repeatedly hound them about drinking their water, the beginning of every season is especially bad for them because they cramp up and drop like flies. There's no way they take those losses to EV, Culpeper and Glass two years ago without half the team cramping up. Should be at least a .500 team. Then they took it to Powhatan two years ago and should've beaten GW. I thought that success would carry over to early last season, but of course more cramping. Hopefully one man will put his foot down and get them listening early this year. :cool: Saturday's heat won't be fun.
Unbelievable.

First I asked you your definition of a program which you conveniently ignored. My previous post challenged your contention that GW and JF weren't programs and contended it showed your lack of knowledge on Virginia HS football outside the Fredericksburg area. Second as one man already educated you on JF now you get a lesson on GW. For the last 50 years, could go back further but, no need, GW has been a perennial playoff contender with multiple state championships and additional appearances in the state semifinal round mostly at the highest(AAA and 6A) level in addition to regular regional berths. They have placed a large number of players at the D-1 level(ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC and PAC-12), untold numbers in lower divisions, and in the NFL with multiple awards(All Pro, NFL Defensive Rookie of Year, etc.). As with any program that has been around that long and gone through multiple coaches they have had some down years, mostly few and far between, and easily outnumbered by winning seasons. Again, I'll ask you what your definition of a program is? I believe most would agree the previous description provided more than satisfies any definition you could come up with. GW lost some production from last year, however, they will replace it just fine and, truth be told, the kid that started and produced those numbers at quarterback(now walking on at UVA) probably wouldn't have even started had GW not lost their original starter to an eligibility issue when the new staff was transitioning in. Tim Glass, an NCSU recruit, returns to GW so he will fill in nicely for Malik Clements who went to Cincinnati and should Coach Anderson wish he could play QB as well, although my understanding is they have several other good candidates.

I really have had no problem proving you wrong countless times on these boards if you were truly honest with yourself, the above being just the most recent. You have been offered multiple opportunities in the past to explain or clarify what you post but, just like in this case, your get indignant, spout out another personal attack and or run and hide until the furor blows over. As far as being a contributor here I have no problem standing on my posting history on these boards and letting others judge our respective contributions.
First, my definitions of a program have been long posted here over a number of years. I have no need to elaborate on what would be ridiculously redundant. I also didn't say they weren't programs. I suggested that it remains to be seen. Man didn't correct me. Mike Salem did and I acknowledged and accepted immediately. Why would that seem unusual? He was right. I was wrong. No problem for me. JF comes from practically nowhere. Jones is practically unstoppable. Is it Jones or is it Christmas? We'll have to see in 2016. Now that Mike has corrected me, I expect JF to be a major player in 2015. My feeling on GW remains the same. Lose 50 TD's, you take a big hit. They will prove me right or wrong and I have absolutely no issue with being wrong.

Run and hide? Anyone here knows that has never happened. Never. Also, Anyone on this board knows you have never proven me wrong. Others certainly have. You're not among them. Yours are the only personal attacks of complete frustration based on your own failure in what is essentially a childish exercise in penis envy and I've become bored with it. You are no longer worth the effort. But if GW does well this season, I will certainly acknowledge your correct input without compunction and it will not bother me in the least. GL in 2015.

First, my definitions of a program have been long posted here over a number of years. I have no need to elaborate on what would be ridiculously redundant. I also didn't say they weren't programs. I suggested that it remains to be seen. Man didn't correct me. Mike Salem did and I acknowledged and accepted immediately. Why would that seem unusual? He was right. I was wrong. No problem for me. JF comes from practically nowhere. Jones is practically unstoppable. Is it Jones or is it Christmas? We'll have to see in 2016. Now that Mike has corrected me, I expect JF to be a major player in 2015. My feeling on GW remains the same. Lose 50 TD's, you take a big hit. They will prove me right or wrong and I have absolutely no issue with being wrong.

Run and hide? Anyone here knows that has never happened. Never. Also, Anyone on this board knows you have never proven me wrong. Others certainly have. You're not among them. Yours are the only personal attacks of complete frustration based on your own failure in what is essentially a childish exercise in penis envy and I've become bored with it. You are no longer worth the effort. But if GW does well this season, I will certainly acknowledge your correct input without compunction and it will not bother me in the least. GL in 2015.
Wrong again which just adds to the times before, your clearly delusional protest notwithstanding. In your earlier post you stated if they prove me wrong "they will officially become a program." If that's not saying they aren't programs what would you call it? One man in fact corrected you on JF being a program(just scroll the thread if you need to prove that to yourself as well) and Mike just added to it with the correction about Navy which makes twice in just your most recent post that you have been proven wrong. Your reading comprehension and ability to respond intelligently clearly is challenged when your emotions take over your posting, probably something you should work on since you like to learn something everyday. Please note I consider this an observation for your personal growth not a personal attack. It is also not a matter of any type of envy but, thanks for the laughs as usual and feel free to keep believing that if you need it for your personal self esteem.

Wrong again which just adds to the times before, your clearly delusional protest notwithstanding. In your earlier post you stated if they prove me wrong "they will officially become a program." If that's not saying they aren't programs what would you call it? One man in fact corrected you on JF being a program(just scroll the thread if you need to prove that to yourself as well) and Mike just added to it with the correction about Navy which makes twice in just your most recent post that you have been proven wrong. Your reading comprehension and ability to respond intelligently clearly is challenged when your emotions take over your posting, probably something you should work on since you like to learn something everyday. Please note I consider this an observation for your personal growth not a personal attack. It is also not a matter of any type of envy but, thanks for the laughs as usual and feel free to keep believing that if you need it for your personal self esteem.
In the past 50 years GW has won at least 4 games every year. For the NFL draft, GW has had two numer ones and two numbert wos choices as well as other draft choices. GW has had football players drafted 1, 2, and 4 in the MLB draft. GW football players have been All ACC, All Americans, and All Pros.

Navy Jones brings a lot to the table. He has speed that elevates the offense and special teams. Another key element to JF's success is Coach Christmas. Wherever he goes he brings success. A title at LCA & 2 at JF. The team he coached in Georgia went from losing seasons to deep playoff runs. JF was an average team since Christmas left JF for Georgia, one year back and they're 12-1. He runs a good system and he is a stickler for hitting the weights hard and off season conditioning. I think with a full year under his belt, there will be improvement in the defensive line because there will be a real focus on strength training and conditioning.
I agree with you on Christmas. He has proven he knows how to win. His players love him

A few things here. I think Amherst can beat Salem. Salem plays almost no one every year and Amherst has started with one of the toughest schedules in 4A for years. They will want this one badly. Salem has lost a lot and The Lancers are no one's door mat. Your picks have some Creedence but at least the LanceI knowrs have balls. I'll settle for that. As far a Charlottesville goes, just not gonna' happen. Don't know how you went there.
I know the fans are looking forward to this one and I also believe Amherst can beat them. Surely hope so

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT