ADVERTISEMENT

4A North: EC Glass 59 GW 58 - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
George Washington at E.C. Glass the 4A North Regional Championship

Another Glass shot at the buzzer, this time it's Tai-he Jeter with a 3-pointer, putting Glass up, 24-23, at halftime

Malik Knox' with layup at buzzer to tie game at 17-up after 1Q

This post was edited on 3/6 8:57 PM by pizzzzza

FINAL: Glass 59 GW 58.

FINAL: Glass 59, GW 58.

Glass will be No. 1 seed in 4A final four

End of game question

According to reports, a last second 3 pointer by GW drew a whistle, then refs ran off floor. Apparently a foul was called, but they decided not to send shooter to line. Did anyone on here see it ?

Re: End of game question

I was not there, but a regional championship should be played on neutral floor. No team should get to host a game that big.

I agree. I don't know why VHSL is so dumb when it comes to tournament venues.

NO TEAM SHOULD PLAY A TOURNAMENT ON THEIR HOME COURT

I miss the days when you could actually watch multiple tournament games on the same floor on the same night.

Re: Lynchburg newspaper

I read it in both Danville and Lynchburg papers this morning. 2 different reporters were covering game. Sounds as if refs blew a call at end one way or the other. if whistle blew, call should have been made one way or the other. Not just run off floor.

Yeah a tough way too lose. At least it wasn't a elimination game for GW. That would have been a real tough way to end the season.
This post was edited on 3/7 10:48 AM by Bluetree

I hope someone who was at game will Post on here what actually happened.

Despite the size of Glass ' gym, game should have been played at another location. Heritage, Lynchburg College, Amherst). It's clear in both articles that the official blew his whistle, but to not give an explanation of the call and just leave. Don't think that crew will probably be in Richmond. Good thing they both advanced though.

Here's the Danville R&B article

http://www.godanriver.com/sports/g-w-loses-to-e-c-glass-after-controversial-non/article_540911a2-c485-11e4-938f-d32a0c38983d.html?mode=jqm

This post was edited on 3/7 12:51 PM by MascotMemorizer

What really happened

First and foremost the game shouldve been played at a different venue being a championship game. Glass shot 32 free throws, GW shot 16. GW shot themselves in the foot throughout the course of the game and should've won by at least 10 and it shouldn't have came down to that one play. GW came all the way back from 12 down and cut it to 4. After #1 for Glass missed a free throw GW got the ball up the court quick and Rodgers shot a 3, missed it, got his rebound and shot another 3, got fouled, and hit the shot. The ref blew his whistle and went to the scorers table as if he was going to make the call. As Glass celebrated, GW waited for the call and the ref literally walked off the court with no further explanation. One of the worst jobs of officiating I've ever seen in a basketball game. Won't say it was as bad as the Salem football game but it was up there, but it should not have come down to a last call. No disrespect but Glass is a one man team and GW got out coached and made too many bone headed mistakes.

Re: What really happened

Glass and G.W. use the ref.association.The COA. The last whistle could have been an off ball foul that occured after the final horn. Not being there it is impossible to know.

This post was edited on 3/8 3:02 PM by bowlingref

Re: What really happened

An off ball foul could have occurred, but everyone says the shooter was fouled also.

Here is the actual Video...

Will try to link this video that's floating around on Facebook. The missed foul shots and final 3 to bring it to within one.

Here is the direct link https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=643681122404606

GW Final Shot

Re: Here is the actual Video...

I cannot see video, but I will say from past experiences, I'll bet I know who at least 2 of the 3 refs were with the game at Glass.

It is time VHSL banned championship games on home court of teams playing in title game. Use a neutral court.

If I'm not mistaken, Glass played all 6 playoff games (until now) at home
sign0093.r191677.gif

I am surprised VHSL doesn't allow state championship games to be played on home courts. They seem to love home courts come post season.

I watched the video, that's not a foul. And yes Glass has had all of their playoff games at home. That's a joke.

From the video:

I agree that was not a foul, nor did I see any official trying to call one. Not sure what other posters saw or thought had maybe happened.

Ref raised his left arm signaling 3 point attempt.

with camera behind shooter, hard to tell if it was a foul, but it was close. Key for confusion, did a ref blow whistle ? If he did something should have been called , whatever he saw.

I personally did not see a foul, i watched it several times HOWEVER I did hear the whistle just prior to the 3 point shot and someone pointed out that the camera angle is a little hard to tell so maybe there was something I missed. Tough way to end a game.

If I'm not mistaken, regional finals were always played at a neutral court under the old AAA playoff system. Not sure why it's changed and teams are allowed home courts now for championships.

as many times as teams have gotten the business at gw i know eagle fans are not on va preps calling foul. smh lol win conference championship you are not at glass. with that being said i think the kids at gw would be more than happy to let glass be conference & region but they get the state championship.

NO championship game

should be played on one of team's home court. That is totally stupid on part of VHSL. That should be first rule in Handbook.

Chapter 1, Section 1, Page 1, Paragraph 1, Rule 1.

Any team who violates it, be ineligible for championship in any sport for entire school year, and a $5,000.00 fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT