ADVERTISEMENT

8 man football a possibility in the VHSL for 2019

Maybe it would be a good idea for some smaller schools that are always struggling with numbers. Wouldn't make sense for bigger schools like Park View or Manassas Park--those schools have enough kids in their programs that they should be able to field varsity teams easily if they can lower the attrition rate and hold on to upperclassmen.

Maybe it would be a good idea for some smaller schools that are always struggling with numbers. Wouldn't make sense for bigger schools like Park View or Manassas Park--those schools have enough kids in their programs that they should be able to field varsity teams easily if they can lower the attrition rate and hold on to upperclassmen.
I agree. Sounds like an easy way out if you ask me if a 2a-6a school takes this route. But also remember, some 1a programs barely have 20 kids on their team and never complains.. I believe Sussex had 17 on their team and still made the states a few years back. It would be feasible for those smaller schools.

Just looked at those 2 schools, Manassas Park and park view sterling, both schools have a Hispanic population over 50%. I don’t think Hispanics play a lot of football.

Last edited:
If they do try to get 8-man football going they are also going to need a critical mass of schools making the switch...if it's just a few schools having to travel all over the state to play each other it's not going to work out. With some of the smaller private schools also looking at 8-man maybe the VHSL and VISAA can work together on something.

If they do try to get 8-man football going they are also going to need a critical mass of schools making the switch...if it's just a few schools having to travel all over the state to play each other it's not going to work out. With some of the smaller private schools also looking at 8-man maybe the VHSL and VISAA can work together on something.

Maybe have classes 1-3 play 8-man while 4-6 play 11 man... It would dictate schedules be made up based on classes but that would allow the bigger schools that aren't having this problem yet continue to play 11-man ball.

Maybe have classes 1-3 play 8-man while 4-6 play 11 man... It would dictate schedules be made up based on classes but that would allow the bigger schools that aren't having this problem yet continue to play 11-man ball.

I imagine if something like this happened there would need to be a restructuring of the class system. I'd bet that some of the 3A contenders wouldn't want to make the switch (Phoebus, Brookville, Heritage, Lord Botetourt, etc).

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Yes, lazy kids, that's certainly the reason. We're gonna miss all you Boomers when you go, you've added so much to this world.

I love all the elderly and infirmed here that think the world is magically stuck in 1978 when they were 30. Sports live and they change and many die. I'm sure a bunch of people just like you raised hell in the 20s when Teddy R. forced people to start wearing helmets since kids were, you know, DYING. Somehow, the sport survived.

Change isn't bad, you secluded weirdos, it's the natural order of things. If you can't deal, you come to terms with the peace you'll get from not having to worry about the dreaded 8 man football when you shuffle off this mortal coil.

Last edited:
Reactions: WP02alum
Yes, lazy kids, that's certainly the reason. We're gonna miss all you Boomers when you go, you've added so much to this world.

Not sure if that is a sarcastic remark or not, but its just not lazy kids, media has a lot to do with it as well, concussions a lot of people talk about that, and I honestly think it isn't as bad as its portrayed to be, flag football has a thing to do with a lot of it as well, kids start playing flag ball at 6-7, why? Then they go to tackle and get hit a couple of times and mommy and daddy say okay, you don't have to do that anymore if you don't want to son (or daughter) Ive said this for a while but parents now a days (not all of them, lets be clear on that) think of there child as a meal ticket, they (parents) coach them in youth and put them at RB or QB when they have no business being there, then when they do get to school ball and a High School coach be it freshman, jv, or varsity, tells them that they are NOT going to be at that position, it crushes them and then the parents say "well Johnny has been playing that all his life" but what the parents don't wanna hear is that Johnny had no business there in the 1st place, then they quit, parents say coach sucks, then get on facebook, twitter and talk the same ol mess. I've seen it 1st hand

That isnt the answer. There are just as many teams in 1a-3a who have good numbers. So you are punishing them to justify a few?

In reality, if that is done or even thought about, it is saying that the smaller schools aren't as important as the larger ones

Not sure if that is a sarcastic remark or not, but its just not lazy kids, media has a lot to do with it as well, concussions a lot of people talk about that, and I honestly think it isn't as bad as its portrayed to be, flag football has a thing to do with a lot of it as well, kids start playing flag ball at 6-7, why? Then they go to tackle and get hit a couple of times and mommy and daddy say okay, you don't have to do that anymore if you don't want to son (or daughter) Ive said this for a while but parents now a days (not all of them, lets be clear on that) think of there child as a meal ticket, they (parents) coach them in youth and put them at RB or QB when they have no business being there, then when they do get to school ball and a High School coach be it freshman, jv, or varsity, tells them that they are NOT going to be at that position, it crushes them and then the parents say "well Johnny has been playing that all his life" but what the parents don't wanna hear is that Johnny had no business there in the 1st place, then they quit, parents say coach sucks, then get on facebook, twitter and talk the same ol mess. I've seen it 1st hand

You grasp the concept that kids are now getting CTE in HIGH SCHOOL, right? The WSU kid that killed himself, get this, had CTE. Hmm, suicide and CTE, nothing to see here right?

Like legit, you are 100% part of the problem if you think they're overplaying concussions. You're just a decidedly garbage human being if you think CTE isn't a thing, isn't happening more than we even currently realize, and isn't resulting in serious health issues for kids entirely too young to be encountering them, up to and including suicide.

CTE is real but you can get the same from any kind of trauma.

This is asinine, you encounter it more via sports where you get hit in the head a lot. This is like saying you can suffer the same issues boxers face if you don't box. No way! It's almost like boxers encounter them more, though, because they BOX.

That isnt the answer. There are just as many teams in 1a-3a who have good numbers. So you are punishing them to justify a few?

In reality, if that is done or even thought about, it is saying that the smaller schools aren't as important as the larger ones

And also since the larger schools vs the smaller ones are regional as well, you are saying that depending on what part of a state you live in that you have to change

You grasp the concept that kids are now getting CTE in HIGH SCHOOL, right? The WSU kid that killed himself, get this, had CTE. Hmm, suicide and CTE, nothing to see here right?

Not saying that at all, sure its a problem, but why now? Whats different now then when I played, or you played, or our fathers played? Not saying sweep it under the rug and keep doing the Oklahoma drill, but not 1 kid reported CTE or heaven forbid suicide when any of us played this game? c'mon now

This is asinine, you encounter it more via sports where you get hit in the head a lot. This is like saying you can suffer the same issues boxers face if you don't box. No way! It's almost like boxers encounter them more, though, because they BOX.
Totally not assinine. I played football for 6 years and I had more head injuries in basketball and baseball.

Reactions: Rev_Real

This is the thing that I dont understand. When someone wants to change how something is viewed its "well it can happen walking or driving." Well yes it CAN, but there are things that happen contribute to likelihood of it happening.

You can get shot walking down the street, but if you play with guns, the likelihood goes up

Like legit, you are 100% part of the problem if you think they're overplaying concussions. You're just a decidedly garbage human being if you think CTE isn't a thing, isn't happening more than we even currently realize, and isn't resulting in serious health issues for kids entirely too young to be encountering them, up to and including suicide.

So your saying we should ban all contact sports then and protect the youth, and if otherwise I'm a "garbage human being"? I get that, but you know what, if you are scared to put your child out on a football field to learn life lessons and unity and accountability, then that's your choice sir, I'm sure their are plenty more options for you and many other kids out there, choose wisely

Not saying that at all, sure its a problem, but why now? Whats different now then when I played, or you played, or our fathers played? Not saying sweep it under the rug and keep doing the Oklahoma drill, but not 1 kid reported CTE or heaven forbid suicide when any of us played this game? c'mon now

I get what you are trying to say, but it's a simple answer. It's just simple learning and study. Back in 60's nobody was dying from "aids". It took learning and studying to know what it was. It's not like it just started in the 70's, it just didnt have a name

I get what you are trying to say, but it's a simple answer. It's just simple learning and study. Back in 60's nobody was dying from "aids". It took learning and studying to know what it was. It's not like it just started in the 70's, it just didnt have a name

Okay learn and study, but don't scare the hell out of everyone and run everyone off from it, that's not the answer either. I don't think the game is getting taught any different today then back then, (fundamental wise) its always keep your head up and drive through your opponent.

Reactions: salemfan32
Okay learn and study, but don't scare the hell out of everyone and run everyone off from it, that's not the answer either. I don't think the game is getting taught any different today then back then, (fundamental wise) its always keep your head up and drive through your opponent.

I agree with that. I dont think the game should be done away with at all. But the argument that didn't happen back then doesn't help

Reactions: Rev_Real
I agree, I just think the fear is there now when it wasn't before, and it contributes to the low numbers with the media constantly on it all the time.

Reactions: salemfan32
I was just about to post this article. The game that we all love is in jeopardy. Football is an 11 man game. It’s saddening to see it come to this point.
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!
folks have been playing the 8-man game for decades, even (gasp!!!) Texas play 6-man football
its not the Apocalypse
in fact Va is one of the few states that only play 11-man football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-man_football

Multi-fold answer:

1) Your generation's doctors and trainers were more ignorant. Not dumb, but ignorant. Same reason there isn't a boost of autism these days, we just know what it is and how to diagnose it, you guys said a variety of words like "special" or "touched" and just grouped the vast majority of mental illnesses together. Much the same, we're better at recognizing concussions. Hells bells, we've gotten visibly better at that in the sport in literally the last decade.

2) Force = Mass times Acceleration. Kids today are bigger, faster, and more physical than a kid in the 70s. There weren't 17 year olds who played LB, weighed 240lb and ran 4.5, just didn't happen. Any older person who isn't lying will say the difference in size and speed in the sport now is night and day from when they played. Much the same, hits are bigger now and your brain rattles around harder as a result.

3) People listen to kids now. Your generation and your parent's generation whole theme was kids (and women) were to be seen and not heard. This covered a wide variety of terrible subjects they were forced to silently endure from playing hurt to sexual abuse (why do you think Sandusky lasted so long?). "Suck it up and take a salt tablet" is not an accurate medical response to a concussion.

Reactions: WP02alum
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!
folks have been playing the 8-man game for decades, even (gasp!!!) Texas play 6-man football
its not the Apocalypse
in fact Va is one of the few states that only play 11-man football

People don't like change or new things. It scares them. There's nothing to suggest the sport is going away at all but because some schools don't have the numbers for 11 man, it's one of the 7 signs foretold in Revelations.

High school eight-man football

Of the 30 states that sponsor the 1,161 eight-man teams in the nation, teams are categorized by "class", "division", or "districts" with sub-conferences within each. States elect to use an either playoff system, a "bowl game" format (Jamboree), or for states with few eight-man teams, no official postseason is organized, instead electing for "Conference Champions".

Playoff format
States that elect a playoff format will seed teams based on regular season records and conference standings. Depending on the sizes of each class, division, or district, the playoff bracket is adjusted accordingly. Teams will advance through the bracket until a state champion is crowned.

Bowl Game format
States that elect a bowl game format, also known as a Jamboree, will seed teams based on regular season records and pair them against like-seeded opponents (i.e. #1 vs #1, #2 vs #2, #3 vs #3, and #4 vs #4). In this format, teams play one postseason game as there is no advancement through levels as in a playoff format. Wisconsin currently uses this format for postseason eight-man games

So your saying we should ban all contact sports then and protect the youth, and if otherwise I'm a "garbage human being"? I get that, but you know what, if you are scared to put your child out on a football field to learn life lessons and unity and accountability, then that's your choice sir, I'm sure their are plenty more options for you and many other kids out there, choose wisely

I didn't say ban contact sports, I said don't cry if they change because people don't want to play them as much anymore.

And I got news for you or anyone else whose view of the world ceases to exist when you hit the coast of this country: most of the world plays sports not named football and their kids seem to do just fine.

I didn't say ban contact sports, I said don't cry if they change because people don't want to play them as much anymore.

And I got news for you or anyone else whose view of the world ceases to exist when you hit the coast of this country: most of the world plays sports not named football and their kids seem to do just fine.
Guess what sport is booming in my area - Lacrosse.
I would like to see some of you football mavens try running down the field and get wacked with a stick.

Game play
Eight-man football consists of fast-paced games with higher scoring than the traditional game. Eight-man scores vary depending on the offensive and defensive strategies, but scores typically fall in the 40-60 point range, with "high scoring" games reaching the 70s and "low scoring" games falling below 30. Eight-man football is noted for producing multi-skilled players that are responsible for playing several positions, which require speed, agility, and strength.

Offense
A variety of offensive formations can be used in eight-man football, most of which are converted from traditional eleven-man formations. Eight-man football rules require five players to be on the line of scrimmage with players on each end remaining pass eligible. The interior of the line consists of two guards and a center. Most often, the line players on the edges of the formation are tight ends, or are occasionally split wide as wide receivers. Due to reduced sized teams requiring players to know different positions, players' jersey numbers do not affect pass eligibility, however, most teams follow the general guidelines set forth by the eleven-man game.

Eight-man football "I-Formation"
Attempting the extra point kick after a touchdown is less common in eight-man, due to the lack of specialized kickers and holders and the inability to block defenders from interfering with the kick. For this reason, teams often attempt a two-point conversion instead.

Defense
Main article: Eight-man football defensive formations
General defensive alignments in eight-man football consist of defensive linemen, linebackers, and defensive backs. Common formations include a 3-3-2, 3-2-3, 4-3-1, 3-4-1, 4-2-2, 5-3, and a 6-2 goal-line defense. The 3-2-3 defense has gained popularity due to the increase of passing-oriented offense in the eight-man game. It substitutes a third linebacker for a defensive back.

Special teams
Eight-man football includes special teams units similar to the traditional format. One notable difference is significantly fewer teams using field goal or extra point units, instead electing to go for a fourth down conversion or a two-point conversion. Additionally, many teams opt to onside kick instead of kick deep. This saves players' energy since there are often few backups.

I imagine if something like this happened there would need to be a restructuring of the class system. I'd bet that some of the 3A contenders wouldn't want to make the switch (Phoebus, Brookville, Heritage, Lord Botetourt, etc).
Lafayette goes to 3 next year. No way 8 man football. Maybe those few schools that cannot field a team need to be allowed for those students who want to play to go to any school within their county or certain mile radius without needing to attend their classes. Bruton players could play football at York, Grafton, or Tabb. Maybe even Lafayette or Warhill and still attend classes st Bruton.

Reactions: Gunz41
Lafayette goes to 3 next year. No way 8 man football. Maybe those few schools that cannot field a team need to be allowed for those students who want to play to go to any school within their county or certain mile radius without needing to attend their classes. Bruton players could play football at York, Grafton, or Tabb. Maybe even Lafayette or Warhill and still attend classes st Bruton.

Exactly. I don't see why in topics like this it is always let's find an answer for all when the small minority is the issue.

I'll bet a school like Riverheads has a bigger roster than a fair number of 4a-6a schools, but hey they are a 1a school not in a large city so they have to play 8 since a school 2 hours away doesnt have enough.

I understand the need to want to find an answer, but why is it that the answer always seems to be changes for the small schools. I'll bet that even with smaller crowds, you wont find more diehard enthusiastic fans than in SWVA. But they have to change? Bet there aren't many games that would average 10-12 thousand fans for a game, but a little old small 2a Graham and what would be I believe a 2a or 3a Bluefield do that ANNUALLY.

I really would like to know why things like this seem to diminish what the small schools have and do

Exactly. I don't see why in topics like this it is always let's find an answer for all when the small minority is the issue.

I'll bet a school like Riverheads has a bigger roster than a fair number of 4a-6a schools, but hey they are a 1a school not in a large city so they have to play 8 since a school 2 hours away doesnt have enough.

I understand the need to want to find an answer, but why is it that the answer always seems to be changes for the small schools. I'll bet that even with smaller crowds, you wont find more diehard enthusiastic fans than in SWVA. But they have to change? Bet there aren't many games that would average 10-12 thousand fans for a game, but a little old small 2a Graham and what would be I believe a 2a or 3a Bluefield do that ANNUALLY.

I really would like to know why things like this seem to diminish what the small schools have and
10 to 12 K?

These private school teams have gone to 8 man football this year.
  • Hampton Roads Academy
  • St. Anne’s-Belfield
  • Kenston Forest
  • Greenbrier Christian Academy
  • Brunswick Academy
  • Covenant
  • VES

These private school teams have gone to 8 man football this year.
  • Hampton Roads Academy
  • St. Anne’s-Belfield
  • Kenston Forest
  • Greenbrier Christian Academy
  • Brunswick Academy
  • Covenant
  • VES
Honestly no disrespect , but who cares ! Let’s enjoy high school football ! Those schools have no players because nobody wants to play there .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT