ADVERTISEMENT

8 man football a possibility in the VHSL for 2019

These private school teams have gone to 8 man football this year.
  • Hampton Roads Academy
  • St. Anne’s-Belfield
  • Kenston Forest
  • Greenbrier Christian Academy
  • Brunswick Academy
  • Covenant
  • VES
No disrespect intended. But I honestly thought at least one of these schools was an all-girls school.

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!
folks have been playing the 8-man game for decades, even (gasp!!!) Texas play 6-man football
its not the Apocalypse
in fact Va is one of the few states that only play 11-man football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-man_football
No doubt. My dad played 6 man football in the Marines. Has many trophies. I’m not knocking it, however, it has no place in VHSL.

I think more than half of the states have 8 man football. It's not for everyone, but it's better than no team at all.
I agree Mike. If VA does this, I wouldn’t mind seeing some of the private schools being able to play in the VHSL (11 man football). At least make the games against private schools count towards power points.

I agree Mike. If VA does this, I wouldn’t mind seeing some of the private schools being able to play in the VHSL (11 man football). At least make the games against private schools count towards power points.
Playing a private school does earn power points. I believe that was changed when LCA came in. I don't see a rush for anyone else to join the VHSL. All of the VISAA team's enrollment is multiplied by 1.5 and that is how power points are calculated.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
VHSL mulls making changes to help football programs

The eight-man football wouldn’t be replacing 11-man football, but just give some schools another option if they’re having trouble fielding a team.

Haun said they will be sending out a survey to see how many schools might be interested in eight-man football as well as talking about it during the upcoming year at VHSL meetings.

“I think it’s a viable option,” Haun said of eight-man football. “Rather than a school just totally dropping their football program, I think it gives students an opportunity to participate in football for an eight-man versus no football. I think it’s an option that we need to look at, provide for our schools if there is enough desire out there to take a look at it.”

http://www.nvdaily.com/news/local-news/2018/08/vhsl-mulls-making-changes-to-help-football-programs/

ADVERTISEMENT