ADVERTISEMENT

A new, what caught your eye?

Also, Sherando shut out again this week. Ouch!

King and Queen laid 80 on Charles City, but CC did score 22. You have to crawl before you can walk, so good for those boys.

Botetourt barely beating Fleming 14-13. It’s not going to be a long playoff run for LB, I’m afraid.

Lake Taylor losing to Churchland. The real story might be how far Churchland has come up in the last few years. I know this is not the LT of old, but a few short years ago the Truckers were dismal.

In their win over Meridian, a Skyline player named Vaught rushed for 446 yards. Tucker for Dinwiddie broke the school rushing record with 330 against Prince George. LOL. It sounded impressive to you see what the kid at Skyline did.

What caught your eye?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
@HooSprings, I think you are being a little hard on Hermitage. All of the Panther losses are to playoff contending Class Six Region A teams Glen Allen, Oscar Smith, and Highland Springs. For the most part they are winning the games they should. I look for Hermitage to fair well in the Region playoffs (if they make it).

Another non Class 4 shocker is the anemic offense/play on display at LC Bird. I said something similar last week, but things have surely gone down hill for the Skyhawks. They sit at 5-3 and are averaging a poultry 21 points a game.

I don't have a clue about Coach Troy Taylor and the coaching staff at Bird and I am sure they are putting in the maximum effort. Since taking over for Coach Nicely in 2018, the Bird alumni Taylor led Skyhawks are 34-24 (.586). They are averaging 22 points a game and giving up 15 (MOV 7). The Skyhawks have missed the playoffs in three of the last five seasons and are currently at the bottom end of the points rankings in Class 5 Region C.

In the five years prior under Nicely and Bedwell, Bird was 57-9 with 5 straight playoff appearances and two state championships (three if you count 2012). From 2013-2017, the Skyhawks averaged 41 points a game while giving up 11 (30 points MOV).

Admittedly, I don't have a dog in this fight.
I don't know if it's just the parity in teams, the lack of talent or what. I just know something ain't right on Courthouse Road. Simply said, I miss the days when LC Bird was the bad boy bullies in the 804 and feared throughout the State. The team that everyone loved to hate.

@HooSprings, I think you are being a little hard on Hermitage. All of the Panther losses are to playoff contending Class Six Region A teams Glen Allen, Oscar Smith, and Highland Springs. For the most part they are winning the games they should. I look for Hermitage to fair well in the Region playoffs (if they make it).
HSHS had a running clock on them in the 3rd qtr before Hermitage scored on the HS reserves late in that qtr. Either they were THAT BAD or HSHS has REALLY got’n better. Hermitage had 1 first half first down. On the first drive,they tried a trick play and a fake punt from their own 30yd line.

I know HSHS is good,but that was NOT a playoff contender,imo

Not class 4, but from this area it was surprising to see Massaponax struggle with North Stafford and Mountain View struggle with Patriot.
Nah, this thread isn’t intended for just Class 4. Anything that caught your eye is fair game.

Last edited:
Not class 4, but from this area it was surprising to see Massaponax struggle with North Stafford and Mountain View struggle with Patriot.
I really expected to see a bigger gap in your game. I was thinking 40’s to something in the teens.

HSHS had a running clock on them in the 3rd qtr before Hermitage scored on the HS reserves late in that qtr. Either they were THAT BAD or HSHS has REALLY got’n better. Hermitage had 1 first half first down. On the first drive,they tried a trick play and a fake punt from their own 30yd line.

I get the assessment, but by saying HSHS is the "best team in the 804 by far" and not expecting them to dust all comers is a bit odd to me. I think Highland Springs is very good and getting healthy at the right time. Even though I am certainly not a Dale or Manchester fan I hope either play the Springers in the Region final and someone from the 804 wins it all. The 804 has a good chance of getting a state finalist in Class 3 (Hopewell, TJ), Class 4 (Varina, Dinwiddie), and Class 6 (HSHS, Manchester, and Dale). Would love to see it happen. Two last year and hopefully three this year.

I get the assessment, but by saying HSHS is the "best team in the 804 by far" and not expecting them to dust all comers is a bit odd to me. I think Highland Springs is very good and getting healthy at the right time. Even though I am certainly not a Dale or Manchester fan I hope either play the Springers in the Region final and someone from the 804 wins it all. The 804 has a good chance of getting a state finalist in Class 3 (Hopewell, TJ), Class 4 (Varina, Dinwiddie), and Class 6 (HSHS, Manchester, and Dale). Would love to see it happen. Two last year and hopefully three this year.
HSHS is good, but I admittedly expected more from Hermitage. I expected explosive play makers. Hermitage has athletes all over the field,but quite frankly…they looked like a JV team to me. Now,HSHS is CLEARLY better than they were earlier in the season,but I didn’t think they were a running clock better than Hermitage. I expected a 35-14 type score.

Anxious to see how the game Tuesday goes. Quick turnaround for both teams playing 3 games in 8 days too!

They’re that bad 😂

C5 in RVA is down bad. Bird is atrocious, Herm is bad (although I thought they had enough to win a bad region), Freeman isn’t good, and Mataoca will have to prove themselves. Should be a PH Roanoke/Maury final in C5 this year.

Louisa should finish in the top 4 in Region C. They are really young and in my opinion not quite ready to win the region. PH and Matoaca are my picks. @BoKnowsSports, do you really think a healthy PH-Roanoke can beat Stone Bridge?

Louisa should finish in the top 4 in Region C. They are really young and in my opinion not quite ready to win the region. PH and Matoaca are my picks. @BoKnowsSports, do you really think a healthy PH-Roanoke can beat Stone Bridge?
I think they can bro. PH normally matches up very well with Salem (who runs a very disciplined scheme very much like Stone Bridge) but my biggest question is can they play disciplined football. PH is known for having really good basketball and football teams but they’ve lost a lot of big games due to boneheaded play vs. choking. They gave Woodside the C5 basketball title last year for these very same reasons.

I didn’t know SB was dealing with injuries. I’ve watched the Martinsburg game in full and still believe it’s a down year for their great program.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Wow! You calling my alma mater undisciplined? 😂 I get it. I saw them play Salem and I know they had a few guys injured, but I wasn't impressed at all. I like the Stone Bridge and Salem comparison. Stone Bridge has played a monster schedule. PH has not. SB has also been there. I give the Bulldogs the edge.

I think they can bro. PH normally matches up very well with Salem (who runs a very disciplined scheme very much like Stone Bridge) but my biggest question is can they play disciplined football. PH is known for having really good basketball and football teams but they’ve lost a lot of big games due to boneheaded play vs. choking. They gave Woodside the C5 basketball title last year for these very same reasons.

I didn’t know SB was dealing with injuries. I’ve watched the Martinsburg game in full and still believe it’s a down year for their great program.
SB was missing 8 starters til game vs the Maryland team. That team beat them on the final play on the Hail Mary.

PH is not "state finals" good and I'd say that even if they had their starting QB, which, they don't and won't for the rest of the season. They basically just run a Wildcat with a WR taking direct snaps and handing off. He throws poorly (as you'd expect), any semi-decent defense can lock them down tremendously. They'll probably win C just because they finally don't have to see Mountain View anymore (who ends their playoff run basically every year) but they're not at a level to beat a Stone Bridge and Maury would probably beat them by 45.

Stone Bridge should be as healthy as they have been all year beginning next week. They get a starting offensive lineman back next Friday against Briar Woods. Keep an eye on that game, it should tell whether SB will come out of Region D. My observation is that Briar would be their only possible resistance, and I am even skeptical of that.

That’s my ignorance. I did not know that. It’ll be SB/Maury again.
They lost 1 for the season in the scrimmage and lost a bunch vs JM in the first game. GC gave them a beating but that’s GC. Nobody in this state is GC!

Man, I know this probably doesn't matter to many, but Colonial Heights drilled Caroline 42-7 today. The Colonials are 5-3 and according to @CRF4Dan with VAPreps have clinched their first back to back 5 win seasons since 1987. These young men do not quit and the coaching staff is doing very well with limited numbers. Colonial Heights finishes the season with Petersburg and TJ. A 6-4 season and a spot in the playoffs is possible. Go Colonials.

Man, I know this probably doesn't matter to many, but Colonial Heights drilled Caroline 42-7 today. The Colonials are 5-3 and according to @CRF4Dan with VAPreps have clinched their first back to back 5 win seasons since 1987. These young men do not quit and the coaching staff is doing very well with limited numbers. Colonial Heights finishes the season with Petersburg and TJ. A 6-4 season and a spot in the playoffs is possible. Go Colonials.
This is a good team. They started off 3-0 then dropped 3 straight but now they are healthy again. Getting Kenyez Mungro Johnson back has been huge for the Colonials.

IMO Colonials Heights will beat a young but up and coming Petersburg team and fall to TJ. That is 6-4 as you alluded to and should squarely be in the playoffs. Would be great if they could get a home game but we will see how the ratings fall. Keeler is doing amazing things down there.

It’s my opinion that the majority of the teams SWVA are as tough or tougher than any in the state. It’s hard to validate this because of the typical difference in the size of the schools out there vs over this way. I’ll occasionally watch a game out there on the NHFS network and those guys get with the program.

Hey ArticBuc, do you live in Abingdon?

Last edited:
Two teams from the Eastern Shore are very likely making the playoffs this year.

JIBurton got their first win this week. Good job kids.

I know most of you are a little higher on Powhatan than I am, but I honestly thought Monacan was going to beat them. It was close though, 23-20.

Maury has put up 476 points and only allowed 84.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT