ADVERTISEMENT

A new, what caught your eye?

Staunton River over Northside 42-14. Sheeesh, Northside has fallen hard.

Eh, they wax and wane like most teams. The only real success they ever had came from a coach who got fired for doing things he shouldn't have and spending all day poaching everyone else's kids (which is ironically why Northside isn't good currently, places like PH are doing the poaching now and taking NS kids). Hickam coached there for 30 seasons iirc and he had one regional final and a 3-11 playoff record.

They're a career ~.500 program, they're doing about what they should after a few good years, which is tank.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It’s my opinion that the majority of the teams SWVA are as tough or tougher than any in the state. It’s hard to validate this because of the typical difference in the size of the schools out there vs over this way. I’ll occasionally watch a game out there on the NHFS network and those guys get with the program.

Hey ArticBuc, do you live in Abingdon?
Marion, VA...just a solid drive and pitching wedge from the Dip Dog Stand.😊

Most of my family lives around Saltville or Chilhowie.

I grew up in Varina...back when Velociraptor's actively roamed Messer Road.

Retired mining engineer.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Marion, VA...just a solid drive and pitching wedge from the Dip Dog Stand.😊

Most of my family lives around Saltville or Chilhowie.

I grew up in Varina...back when Velociraptor's actively roamed Messer Road.

Retired mining engineer.
If you were around in the time of dinosaurs, then I expect you know my buddy @DinwiddieProud

ArticBuc, is the Barter Theatre still open? You would be amazed how many people have never even heard of it. I’ve only been there once, probably in the late 80’s, but it was a fun experience. Incidentally, I happened upon a private trout hatchery somewhere on a back road west of Abington on that trip. I stopped and got to talking with the owner and mentioned that I was going to the Barter that night. It turned out that in the 50’s, he drove a bus that carried “summer stock” actors and actresses from Carolina to Northern Va to the different playhouses. He rattled off a list of names that were nobodies at that time that went on to become mega-stars later in their career.

I know what I’m about to say will give Mike and Bleeding Navy even more information to harass me with, but I’m fascinated by the fossils and tracks that have been found in and around Saltville. The fact that they are not that far from me is one thing, but more fascinating is the fact that they are “fresh” compared to what we think of as historic fossils. Only what, 40,000 to 10,000 years old compared 250 mil. to 65 mil years old? Did you become involved with fossils in your career in mining?

Speaking of Chilhowie, I think that is where our head Coach, Billy Mills originated from.

Ok, one more question. Why “ArcticBuc“ as your avatar?

And no Mike, I did not have a dinosaur as a pet. They hadn’t evolved yet.

ArticBuc, is the Barter Theatre still open? You would be amazed how many people have never even heard of it. I’ve only been there once, probably in the late 80’s, but it was a fun experience. Incidentally, I happened upon a private trout hatchery somewhere on a back road west of Abington on that trip. I stopped and got to talking with the owner and mentioned that I was going to the Barter that night. It turned out that in the 50’s, he drove a bus that carried “summer stock” actors and actresses from Carolina to Northern Va to the different playhouses. He rattled off a list of names that were nobodies at that time that went on to become mega-stars later in their career.

I know what I’m about to say will give Mike and Bleeding Navy even more information to harass me with, but I’m fascinated by the fossils and tracks that have been found in and around Saltville. The fact that they are not that far from me is one thing, but more fascinating is the fact that they are “fresh” compared to what we think of as historic fossils. Only what, 40,000 to 10,000 years old compared 250 mil. to 65 mil years old? Did you become involved with fossils in your career in mining?

Speaking of Chilhowie, I think that is where our head Coach, Billy Mills originated from.

Ok, one more question. Why “ArcticBuc“ as your avatar?

And no Mike, I did not have a dinosaur as a pet. They hadn’t evolved yet.
Ayup the Barter is still going strong. Here in Marion we have the Lincoln Theater, home of the Song of the Mountains. Many famous actors and actresses got their start at the Barter.
I graduated from Varina in '76 (we were in the Battlefield District then)...good in baseball, basketball and Girl's gymnastics and so-so in football. Then to Ferrum (still a Junior College) and then to ETSU (baseball).
Saltville is fascinating. A Rift Valley with 1,000's of years of history. The digs are still ongoing and now managed by ETSU. Late spring does a hands on exercise for the kids and older. It's great, ETSU Saltville site.
Fossils were something I'd see more in coal mining in Buchanan County than the hard rock mining of Arizona (copper) and Alaska (Zinc, Lead and Silver). By fossils I mean like ferns pressed between coal and such.
Hard rock mining out west is whole different animal than the mining we see in the East. If you're ever in the Tucson area you can visit the ASARCO Mission Mine at the Discovery Center...It's a medium sized mine compared to some but you could fit many coalfield surface mines in the pit(s). I got my Master's Degree in Environmental Technology from Arizona State. I'm a retired Mining Engineer with an emphasis on Environmental issues. We moved from Tucson to Alaska.
The picture is of Denali...I actually snapped the picture from the back of our Alaska Airlines charter as were flying over it...a rare mostly clear day. I worked above the Arctic Circle for 7 years. I worked 3 weeks on and 2 weeks off. We lived in Eagle River (Anchorage) and I worked 90 miles above the Arctic Circle on the Chukchi Seacoast.
Billy is an Emory and Henry grad I believe, we know many of the same people. As far as I know we've never met.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT