ADVERTISEMENT

A tip of the hat to Lynchburg

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
By all accounts, the Lynchburg emergency responders did a terrific job of getting the citizens living downstream of the dangerous dam for College Lake, evacuated to safety.

EC Glass High School was established as the emergency evacuation center for the affected citizens, and there has been high praise for the cooperation of the school system, for their assistance.

This is an example of how government is supposed to work on behalf of its citizens. Great job folks.

That dam has been identified as a major problem for several years due to its age. It really should have been fixed/improved years ago but like a lot of our infrastructure little happens until a crisis.

That dam has been identified as a major problem for several years due to its age. It really should have been fixed/improved years ago but like a lot of our infrastructure little happens until a crisis.
That's so insurance pays instead of taxpayer money.

That's so insurance pays instead of taxpayer money.
I bet many of those homes at risk DO NOT have flood insurance and are at extreme risk for substantial $ loss. Remember, normal home insurance does Not include flooding. Special flood insurance is needed.

Reactions: gwb16
I bet many of those homes at risk DO NOT have flood insurance and are at extreme risk for substantial $ loss. Remember, normal home insurance does Not include flooding. Special flood insurance is needed.
I wasn't talking about homeowners, I was talking about Lynchburg preferring that the dam breaks so federal relief/insurance money pays for it rather than using taxpayer money to make repairs. Kinda like when I knew I was going to need a new roof but a hailstorm that busted up a bunch of my shingles allowed me to use my homeowners insurance to pay for a new roof rather than my own money.

I wasn't talking about homeowners, I was talking about Lynchburg preferring that the dam breaks so federal relief/insurance money pays for it rather than using taxpayer money to make repairs. Kinda like when I knew I was going to need a new roof but a hailstorm that busted up a bunch of my shingles allowed me to use my homeowners insurance to pay for a new roof rather than my own money.
If that was proven to be true, purposely not fixing a known problem for funding purposes and the dam broke, the homeowner lawsuits would cripple Lynchburg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT