ADVERTISEMENT

After week six I'm beginning to think any one of 8 teams could win state

Dont keep me in suspense threeputt who? By the way nice to see Salem get the win. Sometimes it takes one of these type games to get the ship righted.

How did the Spartans look tonight?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Dont keep me in suspense threeputt who? By the way nice to see Salem get the win. Sometimes it takes one of these type games to get the ship righted.

How did the Spartans look tonight?
Dinwiddee.... Bburg.....monacon.deep crk... Louisa..... Danville.... Amherst....Salem.......no Byrd because they playthe #48 out of 51 group 4a school weak schedule. If basham or Cole beck go down with Injury could be over for Byrd and. Burg. As for. Salem not much offered from c-burg. Think they go 8-2. Then its a dice roll

Dinwiddee.... Bburg.....monacon.deep crk... Louisa..... Danville.... Amherst....Salem.......no Byrd because they playthe #48 out of 51 group 4a school weak schedule. If basham or Cole beck go down with Injury could be over for Byrd and. Burg. As for. Salem not much offered from c-burg. Think they go 8-2. Then its a dice roll
Thank you sir. Cant disagree too much, but i think Kings Fork, EV, Lafayette and Sherando will be in the mix.

Putt I'm starting to believe in Deep Creek. Whoever comes out of Region A and B surely earns their trip to Wburg. Creek beat Indian River last night which is huge like Mbonape said! Like him, I am a believer. We will see if they can stay healthy. As of D, it's Salem's to lose. I think Blacksburg and Danville can give Salem a scare. It'll be hard for Blacksburg to beat them twice in a year. Though Danville can score, they can't stop nobody on D. They even gave up a touchdown to Patrick County last night (Patrick County lost to Carroll 25-7) and they are probably the worst team in the entire state. Until GW goes to the Seminole, they will only be an at best 3rd round playoff team. I truly believe that Dinwiddie and Salem will find their way back to Williamsburg but I do also believe that whoever wins between Monacan and Dinwiddie will beat the Region A team.

Reactions: ForksUp
Putt I'm starting to believe in Deep Creek. Whoever comes out of Region A and B surely earns their trip to Wburg. Creek beat Indian River last night which is huge like Mbonape said! Like him, I am a believer. We will see if they can stay healthy. As of D, it's Salem's to lose. I think Blacksburg and Danville can give Salem a scare. It'll be hard for Blacksburg to beat them twice in a year. Though Danville can score, they can't stop nobody on D. They even gave up a touchdown to Patrick County last night (Patrick County lost to Carroll 25-7) and they are probably the worst team in the entire state. Until GW goes to the Seminole, they will only be an at best 3rd round playoff team. I truly believe that Dinwiddie and Salem will find their way back to Williamsburg but I do also believe that whoever wins between Monacan and Dinwiddie will beat the Region A team.
Putting my natural bias aside, right now Kings Fork looks as good as anyone in the other regions. They blasted a very good Nansecomb River last night.

Kings Fork/Deep Creek should tell us a whole lot.

What both of those teams can do against OS will tell us even more. Can they hang with or beat a quality 6A contender like Dinwiddie and Monacan did? I think OS is better than Manchester and TD so if they can hang in there then they should be ready to go for playoff time.

What both KF and DC did last night is impressive.

Indian River was dedicating a field to a former principal and was a big event for the community there. The Indian River team was definitely up for that game and DC came back from being down, 19-7. Lotta resilience to do that on the road against a very good IR team. They are legit.

Also agree both the head to head matchup and the Smith matchup will tell us a lot about both teams. Smith hasn't allowed a single point the last 4 weeks. They are rolling to say the least.

Reactions: CavsGrad
I think that was after the backups were in, but probably still should have been able to keep them out of the end zone.

Salem doesn't have the talent on D to even win region D much less anything else. 10-3 season.

What is your concern(s) about the Spartan defense. I know their linebackers are young, but the db's are very experienced and the d line seems to be a good unit.
Defense over persuing every where except the dline. Ends in the backfield a lot and can't complete the tackle when they have them in the clutches. Tackling all around is atrocious. Still giving up the big plays in the secondary which usually makes for a momentum change against the better teams. I think the coaches are still searching for that magic personnel combination with the defense tomake it work.
Coaches need to get that snap/ hold issue fixed in a hurry in case they need that xp or fg from the kicker to stay in the game. He can kick it from almost anywhere on the field but it does no good if it doesn't get put back there so he can kick it. Craft looks visibly frustrated on the field and he needs to check that to keep his head in the game.
IMO they still have work to do and it's midway through the season so we'll see if they can turn it on.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
What is your concern(s) about the Spartan defense. I know their linebackers are young, but the db's are very experienced and the d line seems to be a good unit.

Everything panther said basically. Incredibly poor tackling across the board. Experienced secondary means diddly because literally everyone gets behind them on a PA. Cburg must have run a short PA like 8 times last night, it worked once and would have worked about 6 more times if their WRs could catch. D is just sub-par and that's it.

I agree with one more Hokie. There is just not enough talent on Salem's defense. Watched them closely last night against a terrible football team. The front seven has one player playing well, the secondary has some talent but they are not making plays. Offensively Salem has a tough running game ( but turn it over too much) Defensively they could not stop Dinwiddie when it mattered and never came close to stopping Blacksburg. The previous two years the defense came together and played well in the playoffs. This year they have shown nothing.

Do you guys think secondary or defensive issues are related to a lot of guys playing both ways? I know against us at least 7 guys played on offense defense and special teams.

Every team goes through a phase were they struggle. I realize this rarely happens to the Spartans, but this just might be the case. I know several of you spoke about disharmony or discipline issues in the off season. Maybe its just a matter of leadership (players). We struggled in 2014, because of the lack of team leaders.

I know the die hard Dinwiddie fans acknowledge being spoiled by success and we groan when things dont go just right. Just hang in there Spartan faithful. Your team will either get it together or learn a valuable lesson. Heck, it isnt like you lost to bad teams.

Reactions: gwb16 and 1Gensfan
I'm not despondent over a bad season, it happens. I'm just not going to pretend they can magically turn it around either. We're over halfway done with the season, this team is what it is by now. 2008-2012 weren't pretty years either and they were barely in the past, nobody should be so foolish as to think Salem is immune to playing poor football and anyone new to 4A should be aware Salem has bad years like everyone else even though you guys have only even known Salem to at worst finish top 4 in the state.

And playing both ways doesn't matter. Salem had 10 plays on offense in the first half last night. They're not tired, they're getting duped. If PA is a part of your playbook and you have any semblance of a QB/WR connection you should run it literally all night against Salem because every single DB will bite on it. The loss to Blacksburg, they couldn't tackle from the 2nd play. Blacksburg didn't wear them down, that thing was over from the start.

I was just curious and thats why I was asking. I have seen them live once and on replay two other times. I get the tackling part, but I am suprised by the pass defense. We had some success when we went to an empty backfield and spread them out, but I still thought the Spartans covered well. I will say there are a few Salem db's who dont like to tackle and that was obvious in the Blacksburg game. Good luck to the Spartans. Still think they will not go down without a fight.

Salem has only played with passion the second half of the Amherst game and showed glimpses (between fumbles) during the Dinwiddie game. It's quite frustrating to know the talent is there, but for some reason the chemistry is just off this year. The same mistakes repeat week after week so you wonder what's being addressed in practice.

See what smoking pot does
And where do you get that assessment from 3putt? Pretty bold statement unless you have some inside information and you know more than the coaches or parents for that matter. And if that was the case everyone knows Salem drug tests randomly and I dont know why kids would put themselves in that situation knowing that fact. But I suppose it has happened before so....
I think they are looking for leadership and the captains need to get it together or someone else needs to step up.

DL just doesn't get off the ball like they need to. It is far too easy to reach Salem DL right now and kill them with pulls (Amherst and Blacksburg). They are trying way too hard to read and react and that is keeping them from taking a legitimate first step and attacking the offense. Combine that with young LBs that at this point, lack some speed and you have a recipe for disaster. They got bailed out for awhile by really good tackling from the safety position but when that went away against Blacksburg you could really see how vulnerable they are.

I think so too Salemgal. He would never throw mud on Salem without factual publicised evidence. ThreePutt is Bluntly honest, but a very loyal Spartan fan.

Reactions: gwb16
Which is funny since I barely even drink much less smoke. I also don't predict blowout wins against defending state champs and get proven wrong with like a 55 point swing.

Reactions: gwb16
Which is funny since I barely even drink much less smoke. I also don't predict blowout wins against defending state champs and get proven wrong with like a 55 point swing.
Lol coming from a banana with glasses on...... Your smoking pot goof ball..... Salem is fine..... Don't bet against them in week 11....... Unless your a banana with glasses on

I said 10-3 you mongoloid, never said anything about first PO game.

Of course, if you read like you speak then I'm not surprised you missed it.

Deep Creek just pulled in a big transfer from Bishop Sullivan!!

From the VA Pilot: "... the Hornets’ defense is expected to get a boost by the arrival of linebacker Gabe Fuster, a 6-foot, 220 pound sophomore who transferred recently from Bishop Sullivan Catholic. Fuster was on Deep Creek’s sideline last week and is expected to play this week against Lakeland."

Fuster played for coach Twine @ Deep Creek middle school before going to Bishop Sullivan. As far as I know, he's the only top area athlete to leave the Crusaders after a rough season so far this year.

Reactions: ForksUp
How can a kid transfer in a play this semester since the mel's have been turned in and still be eligible to play? So what you are saying is a kid could play 7 games at Sullivan and then suit up for the playoffs at Oscar Smith. Thats crazy, but obviously legal. Think I will get a few kids from Collegiate to enroll for a few months.

Deep Creek just pulled in a big transfer from Bishop Sullivan!!

From the VA Pilot: "... the Hornets’ defense is expected to get a boost by the arrival of linebacker Gabe Fuster, a 6-foot, 220 pound sophomore who transferred recently from Bishop Sullivan Catholic. Fuster was on Deep Creek’s sideline last week and is expected to play this week against Lakeland."

Fuster played for coach Twine @ Deep Creek middle school before going to Bishop Sullivan. As far as I know, he's the only top area athlete to leave the Crusaders after a rough season so far this year.

That's crazy. I just talked to his dad back when they played American Heritage out of Florida. Seemed ALL IN on the Sullivan train. That's a surprise. Although, he wasn't happy that his son was being taken off the field at times.

I wonder how many more defect. Wouldn't mind a couple to make their way out to Suffolk and join the Bulldogs...

WOw that is incredible news to be honest. How can that be? If it is for the well being of the kid I guess I support it.

At the risk of high jacking this thread AND inserting my strong bias here, I'll give my thoughts, for what it's worth. Chris Scott appears to be a better recruiter than coach. He lost to Colonial Forge (2013) and Oscar Smith (2015) in years that Ocean Lakes was highly ranked Nationally and we're favorites to win the 6A titles.

It won't take too many seasons of 4 losses for his whole plan to collapse. And it's interesting that it only took Ocean Lakes 1 season to climb back up to the top of the Beach District.

At the risk of high jacking this thread AND inserting my strong bias here, I'll give my thoughts, for what it's worth. Chris Scott appears to be a better recruiter than coach. He lost to Colonial Forge (2013) and Oscar Smith (2015) in years that Ocean Lakes was highly ranked Nationally and we're favorites to win the 6A titles.

It won't take too many seasons of 4 losses for his whole plan to collapse. And it's interesting that it only took Ocean Lakes 1 season to climb back up to the top of the Beach District.

Dont forget a loss to LC Bird with the most loaded team he ever had in the state championship game

Very interesting and sound observation to say the least. I know the guy has pissed off a lot of coaches and a.d.'s with his attempt to pillage the village. If he loses the BS job not sure he will find too many offers in the east or central part of the state.

How can a kid transfer in a play this semester since the mel's have been turned in and still be eligible to play? So what you are saying is a kid could play 7 games at Sullivan and then suit up for the playoffs at Oscar Smith. Thats crazy, but obviously legal. Think I will get a few kids from Collegiate to enroll for a few months.

Not sure how the transfers work to - from private schools but I'm pretty sure Deep Creek is the neighborhood & school Fuster would have attended if he hadn't gone to B. Sullivan.

Dont forget a loss to LC Bird with the most loaded team he ever had in the state championship game

I knew about that L.C. Bird game but I wasn't sure that he'd blown that game. But there were 2 NFL players at least on that O. Lakes team. So, your correct, they likely blew it back then too. Only 1 State title with the studs he recruited is telling a story which doesn't get reported in our local news!

Well I am not sure he blew it either but he certainly was the favorite for sure against Bird

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT