ADVERTISEMENT

After week six I'm beginning to think any one of 8 teams could win state

Not sure how the transfers work to - from private schools but I'm pretty sure Deep Creek is the neighborhood & school Fuster would have attended if he hadn't gone to B. Sullivan.
I just did a bit of research and discussed the matter with an extremely knowleable source. As long as his parents live in the Deep Creek catchment area he is eligible to play right away.

The only thing I would be concerned about is team chemistry. If he walks in and takes someones spot that has been working hard during the offseason there may be some hard feelings whether they are winning or not. I will not speculate on this, but as a former coach I would not allow this to happen. Loyalty is very important in life and what does this say to the team.

This thought process says heck, show up when you want. If you are good enough you can play. Entitlement is going to destroy athletics sooner than you think.

His parents opted for the greener pastures, so let him sit until next year. Glad its not my issue to deal with.

Last edited:
He played for the current DC head coach in middle school when the coach was the head coach of the middle school team.

He lives in the area. He played with most of those kids growing up.

On the Scott discussion i couldn't agree more. Looking at what he's done with Sullivan isn't very impressive, outside of the recruiting. Last year it was his coaching decisions that cost them the game against IMG. A team that is absolutely loaded with talent from across the country. This year when Jake Low went down they couldn't do anything on offense. That's with a QB in DeSue who is headed to Maryland next year. With the speed and athletic ability they have they just don't do anything on offense. It's a very boring product to watch.

Reactions: CavsGrad
I get he grew up in the area, but it still doesnt make it right. Example: Forksup, you have done a good job for a company. Show up on time, work late, have good performance ratings. You come in on Monday and the boss says you are demoted. Back to the mail room. I have hired a new guy to take your place.

Please don't tell me thats life and the hypothetical kid sitting now needs to get better. I am extremely conservative, so my opinion is not about being a bleeding heart. Its simply about loyalty and dedication. He hasnt sweat one drop for this team, but again its not my problem. The coach, a.d. and principal have to live with this decision. If DC keeps winning then it may not be a problem, but if they lose a few watch out.

I get he grew up in the area, but it still doesnt make it right. Example: Forksup, you have done a good job for a company. Show up on time, work late, have good performance ratings. You come in on Monday and the boss says you are demoted. Back to the mail room. I have hired a new guy to take your place.

Please don't tell me thats life and the hypothetical kid sitting now needs to get better. I am extremely conservative, so my opinion is not about being a bleeding heart. Its simply about loyalty and dedication. He hasnt sweat one drop for this team, but again its not my problem. The coach, a.d. and principal have to live with this decision. If DC keeps winning then it may not be a problem, but if they lose a few watch out.

Oh I completely understand and agree completely. They definitely have to mesh for it to work.

Totally agree, loyalty and the lack of it to the community and coaches that train the outgoing kids to BSCHS for me is the problem. But the kid coming back is kind of like the prodigal son story. Love him because he's family. Coming back mid season is a tough call, too. I'm not sure there is a coach's choice unless the VHSL provides it. You as a coach, would have to do what's best for the team. As a fan, I'd have to trust the coach on that matter.

The coach has all the power in this. 1. He does not have to accept him back this season. 2. The coach has an obligation to reward the kids who remained loyal to the program. 3. How can a parent trust a coach that lets this happen. 4. Hell, if I was a stud player at the Creek, I wouldnt do squat with the team until the first game. Why? Its all about me. He will play me anyway, because character means nothing. The player has already set the tone about not getting enough playing time. The coach is stuck now. Play him or hes gone. 5. This team was winning without this dude. Why mess with it?

I dont know this kid. I promise I am not taking shots at him personally. Its the situation. This and other possible defections are going to cause major problems. Watch what I tell you. Does the latest basketball scandal not bother anyone. High school athletics is becoming just another business of exploitation. Damn shame.

He played for the current DC head coach in middle school when the coach was the head coach of the middle school team.

He lives in the area. He played with most of those kids growing up.

On the Scott discussion i couldn't agree more. Looking at what he's done with Sullivan isn't very impressive, outside of the recruiting. Last year it was his coaching decisions that cost them the game against IMG. A team that is absolutely loaded with talent from across the country. This year when Jake Low went down they couldn't do anything on offense. That's with a QB in DeSue who is headed to Maryland next year. With the speed and athletic ability they have they just don't do anything on offense. It's a very boring product to watch.

Tough issue for DC, especially since the kids are ultimately dealing with the consequences. Maybe the kid getting demoted is all in if the change increases their chances of winning.

As for BS and Scott, I’m on the fence as to whether that type of program is beneficial for high school football. As a kid, I think I would have enjoyed playing the best kids from around the country as much as playing rivals from a neighboring school. After living in the DC area for nearly the last 20 years, where the privates in DC and Maryland often get the top kids, I’ve warmed up to the elite privates after seeing some private programs that are run very well and that execute on the field. I’ve also enjoyed seeing the privates play the publics, like DeMatha traveling to Phoebus and OS. Between OL and BS, Scott has had incredibly loaded teams and often times his decisions has caused these teams to suffer against other talented teams, like refusing to put in their own territory against IMG last year and Colquitt (GA) last week.

I just reviewed the transfer rule again. Please correct me if I am reading correctly. If the said players parent/guardian lived in the Deep Creek catchment area while he was attended BS he is not eligible to play.

A move by the parent would be required and the VHSL considers private school enrollment as the same as a public school enrollment. The Creek better check on this.

I just reviewed the transfer rule again. Please correct me if I am reading correctly. If the said players parent/guardian lived in the Deep Creek catchment area while he was attended BS he is not eligible to play.

A move by the parent would be required and the VHSL considers private school enrollment as the same as a public school enrollment. The Creek better check on this.

That does make sense. I wonder if there is some kind of exception concerning maybe a financial hardship. If the family can no longer afford tuition at Sullivan and had to switch back to a public school. Which would put him at DC based on where the family lives.

Seems like a touchy situation for sure.

The rule specifically says if the parents or guardian must physically move into a new schools area for a transfer player, public or private to be eligible. If this young mans parents lived in the Deep Creek area he cannot play. I am no lawyer or VHSL guru, so I may be absolutely wrong. This could get ugly unless the parents resided somewhere else, but they already said he would have gone to deep creek had he not enrolled at BS.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Excerpt from VHSL Handbook: Please tell me if I am reading this wrong. If so I will shut the heck up. If not I will also shut the heck up. lol

28A-7-1 TRANSFER RULE-The student shall not have enrolled in one high school and

subsequently transferred to and enrolled in another high school without a corresponding

change in the residence of his/her parents, parent, or guardian. The sending and receiving

VHSL school principals are required to complete and fi le the VHSL Transfer Form, acknowledging

that to the best of their knowledge the student has met all aspects of the transfer rule

or its exceptions. Home instruction does not constitute enrollment in a public school. Home

schooling is a process through which Virginia Code compulsory education requirements may

be met, as is private schooling. Home schooling is the equivalent of school enrollment for

Transfer Rule purposes, and determining whether the student has met Scholarship Rule requirements

of having passed five academic subjects recognized by the Virginia Department

of Education in the most recent prior semester.

Note A: The provisions of the Transfer Rule apply to students transferring from one

school to another, including transfers from a private school to a public school as well

as transfers from one public school to another. For the purposes of this rule only, the

phrase “high school” is defined as a school providing instruction at the ninth or tenth or

eleventh or twelfth grade level(s).

PM 28A-7-1 (1) TRANSFER RULE/Move Requirement (1-71)-A student who moves

from one school to another with no move on the part of his parents is ineligible. This student

can become eligible immediately when his parents move to the zone served by the student’s

new school.

Bethel had a kid (Dickens) that transferred from a prep school and played that year. I think it was a couple of more instances where the student transferred in the middle of the year including Godwin who left Christ School in NC and played for Hampton. Both basketball cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT