ADVERTISEMENT

Air horns

This rule has been in place for years. The VHSL is a feckless organization that is good about making rules but terrible at enforcing even blatant violations. Maybe they should start busting those that recruit. It is rampant in football and wrestling, but they turn their heads, especially when it involves one of the teams at the top that got there by recruiting. Good luck stopping the train sirens and the cowbells.

Leave horns and cow bells at home. As for recruiting, it's been happening for years. Why VHSL looks the other way, is beyond me. I personally know of some high school recruiting jobs, that would make any college coach proud.

Reactions: Intrinsicrewards
Why no cowbells???
I can see air horns but not cow bells.
What’s Giles and Union gonna do. I assume they can blow it at scores and when kids come in.
Can you ring the bells on scores and when kids are coming on the field???

If not this is kinda going to Squelch the atmosphere.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Why no cowbells???
I can see air horns but not cow bells.
What’s Giles and Union gonna do. I assume they can blow it at scores and when kids come in.
Can you ring the bells on scores and when kids are coming on the field???

If not this is kinda going to Squelch the atmosphere.

As @Hampton Roads 6 said earlier, they have always supposed to be banned from the games for a few years. Administration is supposed to enforce it. Similar to having bands at the games. They have rules to abide by as well, such as not playing during a play.

If a coach complains and it's not taken care of, schools can be fined for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
As for Giles, I believe the train horn is outside stadium, off school property.

When a band plays when opponent is on offense, it should be automatic 15 yard penalty. 2nd offense, band director ejected and 15 more yards.

Reactions: wikki
If they try and make Union retire the cowbell, they'll have a world war III on their hands.

As for Giles, I believe the train horn is outside stadium, off school property.

When a band plays when opponent is on offense, it should be automatic 15 yard penalty. 2nd offense, band director ejected and 15 more yards.
Nope...the horn is located on top row of the Giles bleachers

Nope...the horn is located on top row of the Giles bleachers
Giles also has taken the horn to away games, so the "it's off school property" claim doesn't stand up to reality.

But, I have no problem with it. It adds to the atmosphere, as long as they don't blow it when the opponents offense gets up and on the ball. The gentleman from Giles, in his desire to help Giles win, just can't resist helping the Giles defense at the end of games on key 3rd and 4th downs by blowing the horn during the cadence. That is the main reason the VHSL is trying to reign it in by outlawing them all, including the bands playing, but that hasn't worked in the past and it won't work now.

Giles train horn never bothered me. But cows bell's, gravel in plastic jugs and air horns bother me. Along with bands playing when opponent has ball.

Giles also has taken the horn to away games, so the "it's off school property" claim doesn't stand up to reality.

But, I have no problem with it. It adds to the atmosphere, as long as they don't blow it when the opponents offense gets up and on the ball. The gentleman from Giles, in his desire to help Giles win, just can't resist helping the Giles defense at the end of games on key 3rd and 4th downs by blowing the horn during the cadence. That is the main reason the VHSL is trying to reign it in by outlawing them all, including the bands playing, but that hasn't worked in the past and it won't work now.
During the cadence hahaha nice try

I just do not like fans making unnecessary noise. When team scores or makes a 3rd or 4th down stop on defense, then cheer.

I just do not like fans making unnecessary noise. When team scores or makes a 3rd or 4th down stop on defense, then cheer.
Not me. I ring my bell, holler. Anything we can do to make it hard on the opposing offense to make calls at the line or hear their coach trying to call in a play.
12th man is a real thing.

Reactions: oldfool2
Not me. I ring my bell, holler. Anything we can do to make it hard on the opposing offense to make calls at the line or hear their coach trying to call in a play.
12th man is a real thing.
Amen> Make the dang noise and ring the cowbells. Maybe they should have a choir section. Lol

Btw, Clarke blows a train horn in the end zone for touchdowns, but I think it's a school official or someone authorized to do it. That's the only time I heard it except for when the team ran through their new inflatable eagle before the kickoff tonight.

As @Hampton Roads 6 said earlier, they have always supposed to be banned from the games for a few years. Administration is supposed to enforce it. Similar to having bands at the games. They have rules to abide by as well, such as not playing during a play.

If a coach complains and it's not taken care of, schools can be fined for unsportsmanlike conduct.
54-19-1 Artificially and/or Amplified Noisemakers-The use of artificially and/or am- plified noisemakers (examples of this include, but are not limited to, train or diesel horns, amplified guitar note or riff) are not allowed during live ball situations at any VHSL event. Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation (Excessive Unsportsmanlike Conduct - $300 Fine).
Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the ball being handled by the snapper

Two points here. There is no blanket prohibition of air horns, etc. The use of such is limited to dead ball situations.

Secondly, like all other violation of League rules, the VHSL DOES NOT police events for violations. The League REQUIRES that the Administrator of the school report violations to the VHSL.

If you believe a violation has gone un-addressed, do not blame the VHSL. Direct your criticism to the school administrator that is duty bound to file a report per the rules of the VHSL Handbook.

Last edited:
A comment on cow bells.
Chesterfield County schools generally try to prohibit cow bells at football games. (Emphasis is on TRY). I would assume if a school, or school system, or a District, officially adopts a rule prohibiting cow bells, it becomes enforceable. And as far as I know, there is no rule in place in Chesterfield.
The gate attendants have simply been told to not allow cow bells. When asked why, they offer various reasons such as it’s prohibited by the League, etc.

For dedicated fans, it has become a game in itself to ferret in cowbells. The success can be heard ringing with defiance in the stands.

Giles had that damned air horn at the Galax game last night, lol. I don't remember him blowing it any during live ball situations though.

Reactions: Bo Bob
So you must really hate College and NFL games.

It’s part of having a home field advantage!! I love it. That Richlands @ Appomattox game in 2016 was deafening and it was amazing.

This is just more crying from the WOKE police. By the time they get done life will be too boring to live. Feel sorry by these people that get offended by everything. They will never make it in real world.

So you must really hate College and NFL games.

It’s part of having a home field advantage!! I love it. That Richlands @ Appomattox game in 2016 was deafening and it was amazing.
Are you talking the State Championship game or the 2015 game at our field. BOTH were pretty amazing!!!
This is just more crying from the WOKE police. By the time they get done life will be too boring to live. Feel sorry by these people that get offended by everything. They will never make it in real world.
How can I give 100 "LIKES" to this post! Unfortunately our society is going limp noodle soft.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT