Cayden Cook-Cash, Riverheads

Defensive Player of the Year: Nathan Lopez, Central

First Team

Offense

Pos., Player, School, Year

C, Payton Snell, Riverheads, Sr.

OL, Mitchell Withrow, Riverheads, Sr.

OL, Austin Baker, Central, Sr.

OL, Kordonte Williams, Buckingham County, Sr.

OL, Alofi Sake, Clarke County, Sr.

WR, Talyn Armentrout, Fort Defiance, Sr.

WR, Billy Acton, Madison County, Sr.

WR, Triston Dodson, Central, Sr.

TE, Walker Conrad, Strasburg, Sr.

RB, Cayden Cook-Cash, Riverheads, Sr.

RB, Tyler Forbes, Central, Sr.

RB, Will Booker, Clarke County, Sr.

QB, Trey Miller, Fort Defiance, Jr.

AP, Tanner Sipe, Clarke County, Jr.

K, Ethan Cyr, Stuarts Draft, Sr.

KR, Lucas Martinez, Strasburg, Jr.

Defense

DL, Nathan Lopez, Central, Sr.

DL, Carson Brooks, Riverheads, Jr.

DL, Walker Conrad, Strasburg, Sr.

DL, Kordante Williams, Buckingham County, Sr.

LB, Tyler Forbes, Central, Sr.

LB, Colby Shaw, Strasburg, Sr.

LB, Cayden Cook-Cash, Riverheads, Sr.

LB, Carson Chinn, Clarke County, Jr.

LB, Avery Schaffer, Buckingham County, Jr.

DB, Will Booker, Clarke County, Sr.

DB, Zahir Chambers, Buckingham County, Sr.

DB, Tanner Sipe, Clarke County, Jr.

DB, Aidan Foster, Madison County, So.

AP, Daniel Heath, Riverheads, Sr.

P, Tanner Davis, Buckingham County, Jr.

PR, Sean Stead, Central, So.

Second Team

C, Blake Frazier, Strasburg, Sr.

OL, Colby Shaw, Strasburg, Sr.

OL, Garrett Barone, Fort Defiance, Sr.

OL, Sawyer Moffett, Fort Defiance, So.

OL, Ricky Benner, Central, Sr.

WR, Aidan Foster, Madison County, So.

WR, Jerrod Gaines, Buckingham County, So.

WR, Chris Brown, Central, Fr.

TE, Emmerson Edwards, Buckingham County, So.

RB, Bradley Hebb, Fort Defiance, Jr.

RB, Jaden Maxey, Buckingham County, Jr.

RB, Cason Bryant, Luray, So.

QB, Aaron Fincham, Madison County, So.

AP, Landon Graber, Stuarts Draft, Jr.

K, Tyler Sharp, Strasburg, Sr.

KR, Davon Ridgley, Central, Sr.

Defense

DL, Alofi Sake, Clarke County, Sr.

DL, Ricky Benner, Central, Sr.

DL, Delray Jones, Fort Defiance, Sr.

DL, Landon Shifflett, Stuarts Draft, So.

LB, Griffin Carter, Strasburg, Sr.

LB, Braden Ancell, Luray, Sr.

LB, Brady Hecker, Central, Jr.

DB, Triston Dodson. Central, Sr.

DB, Landon Graber, Stuarts Draft, Jr.

DB, Caleb Weston, Riverheads, Sr.

DB, Davon Ridgley, Central, Sr.

AP, Wilson Taylor, Clarke County, Sr.

P, Wesley Beiler, Clarke County, Sr.

PR, Wyatt Palmer, Clarke County, Jr.

Last edited:
I will go ahead and say it, this is a horrible list. There is no way that this Riverheads team only has 7 players total, 3 first team O and 3 first team D with only 1 second team player on defense. LOL the funny part is there is 7 alone from the defense that just got waxed between first and second team. It is very obviously a Bull Run bias. In some cases, I dont necessarily disagree but there is no way that #25 Fortune for Riverheads isn't on this list. Hell, I could make a case of 2-3 more but that would take away from other deserving kids. To be clear no one will convince me that Central as good as there were, was deserving of 13 spots while the team that nearly beat them in the opener and beat the brakes off of them this past week was only deserving of 7. GTFOH with that noise.....

I know it wasn't your list, I had already seen it in the paper and was pissed off. I was waiting to see it on here to express my displeasure. I am still baffled the Thompkins kid didn't get district honors. I guess Madison isn't on coach Yews favored nation list, so you guys got screwed with the district stuff.

I know it wasn't your list, I had already seen it in the paper and was pissed off. I was waiting to see it on here to express my displeasure. I am still baffled the Thompkins kid didn't get district honors. I guess Madison isn't on coach Yews favored nation list, so you guys got screwed with the district stuff.
I guess Coach Norcross and Coach Helmick aren’t quite as good as “politicians” as they are coaches!

I almost think the players should vote on the nominees…the players know who deserves what

Reactions: PistolSnap1
These things are frustrating for the kids who are deserving. I have seen it so many times before. You can only hope these players get ultimate prize so they don't feel as slighted.

They act like
I will go ahead and say it, this is a horrible list. There is no way that this Riverheads team only has 7 players total, 3 first team O and 3 first team D with only 1 second team player on defense. LOL the funny part is there is 7 alone from the defense that just got waxed between first and second team. It is very obviously a Bull Run bias. In some cases, I dont necessarily disagree but there is no way that #25 Fortune for Riverheads isn't on this list. Hell, I could make a case of 2-3 more but that would take away from other deserving kids. To be clear no one will convince me that Central as good as there were, was deserving of 13 spots while the team that nearly beat them in the opener and beat the brakes off of them this past week was only deserving of 7. GTFOH with that noise.....
You would think there is only Strasburg,Clarke an Central in the Bull Run, Luray has had some good teams lately under former coach Jeffries hell the Northern Virginia daily don,t even cover us unless we are playing against one of them.

No disrespect to any team in Region B, but I wanted to make darn sure Forbes and Triple C were on both the first team O and D, and that Lopez was on the first Team D, and if a defensive player of the year is picked not just in Region B, but in the state of Virginia, Lopez is that pick I think.

Forbes and Cash are deserving of both sides of the ball but Lopez isn’t the state defensive player of the year period. In all honesty he isn’t the best in the region but there was no way Central wasn’t getting one of the two main awards. That’s a hill I would stand on……..

Forbes and Cash are deserving of both sides of the ball but Lopez isn’t the state defensive player of the year period. In all honesty he isn’t the best in the region but there was no way Central wasn’t getting one of the two main awards. That’s a hill I would stand on……..
If Lopez isn't best in region, who should be? How do their stats compare to each other. Honest question as I'm not familiar with most of region B but I know Lopez is fierce.

We don't disagree RedPrideNation, we strongly disagree on this one. Kid completely destroys one side of the field for the opponent. I just hope Virginia Tech stops messing around and hurries up and offers. He's D1 for sure, much like CCC. What I watched in the state title game last year with him against Graham was just remarkable. I remember setting with some Graham fans and they kept talking about he just seemed to shut one half of the defensive side of the field down on the line of scrimmage, a lot like the Roberts kid from Graham was doing on the other side of the ball.

Reactions: PistolSnap1
If he is D1 my a$$ is a rock crusher. He was run at consistently without a lot of trouble. D1 players make impacts and he didn’t. I honestly couldn’t tell you what his stats are but he did a disappearing act Friday. 2 maybe 3 tackles (especially if you take away the flagrant late hit on a sliding player). Forbes is a better defensive player on his own team and I would take the freshman LB from Draft as more impactful than him to be honest.

Look he has the measurables but he doesn’t shut down half a field and that’s just a fact. I think as a pass rusher he may be a little more serviceable but he isn’t a run stopper……..

You would think Clarke County and Buckingham have some shut down defenses and met in the Region title game based on these selections. Back-scratching politics for sure. You vote for mine, I'll vote for yours.
Always been that way. Happens all over the state/states.

And to be clear I am not hating on the Lopez kid. He is big and could be amazing, I just disagree on him being awarded when I didn’t see it in the 5 games I watched of them.

No disrespect to any team in Region B, but I wanted to make darn sure Forbes and Triple C were on both the first team O and D, and that Lopez was on the first Team D, and if a defensive player of the year is picked not just in Region B, but in the state of Virginia, Lopez is that pick I think.
Have you watched any of Centrals games?? Lopez is a big boy but not a D1 D2 or D3 college player. He gets pushed around is anything but fierce. Alot of his sacks this year were awarded to him on QB slips and their statistician gave them to Lopez. Against riverheads 2 games he had 5 total tackles and 2 late hits that any good coach would punish. They were blatant and dirty not in the moment just barely late. 51 for central was by far their best DEFENSIVE player. He was dirty and should not have been allowed to play aka kickoff the team just like he was kicked out of his last 2 high schools and last 3 wrestling clubs. But based off of strictly talent and football skill 51 was the biggest game changer on Centrals D. How number 11 for central made the all region team is mind boggling. He would only make all region for cramping and 32 he would only make all region for being a super nice and respectful player not talent. Riverheads defense has let up less points than any other team in the region throughout the playoffs and it is a joke that so many of their kids were left off. Hopefully they will continue to do what they do best and that is dominate as a team and let the noise of all the nominations just be noise and they can keep playing ball while most of the ALL REGION team sits at home playing with their footballs! Bias hatred for the best team in 2a that only has 1a attendance.

Have you watched any of Centrals games?? Lopez is a big boy but not a D1 D2 or D3 college player. He gets pushed around is anything but fierce. Alot of his sacks this year were awarded to him on QB slips and their statistician gave them to Lopez. Against riverheads 2 games he had 5 total tackles and 2 late hits that any good coach would punish. They were blatant and dirty not in the moment just barely late. 51 for central was by far their best DEFENSIVE player. He was dirty and should not have been allowed to play aka kickoff the team just like he was kicked out of his last 2 high schools and last 3 wrestling clubs. But based off of strictly talent and football skill 51 was the biggest game changer on Centrals D. How number 11 for central made the all region team is mind boggling. He would only make all region for cramping and 32 he would only make all region for being a super nice and respectful player not talent. Riverheads defense has let up less points than any other team in the region throughout the playoffs and it is a joke that so many of their kids were left off. Hopefully they will continue to do what they do best and that is dominate as a team and let the noise of all the nominations just be noise and they can keep playing ball while most of the ALL REGION team sits at home playing with their footballs! Bias hatred for the best team in 2a that only has 1a attendance.
WELL SAID !

Lopez has offers to Maine and ODU.
Both schools are Div 1. 1 is FBS and 1 is FCS. So....no offense here, but not entirely well said. I respect the opinions of you Riverheads guys and your takes, but to say he isn't D1 is simply not accurate. Maine, and from what I heard, recently ODU obviously feel he's D1. And to say he's not D2 or D3 is borderline insanity.

To be clear I hope he gets the opportunity to do great things where ever he ends up. The original point I was making is that he isn’t the best defensive player in the state in class 2 or IMO even on his own team based on what I saw. Obviously with him having offers he is not a scrub but potential isn’t what any of these awards are for. He had about 65 snaps to make an impact Friday night with about 50% of them headed at him and I don’t remember him standing out on those 30-35 plays. You could have a completely different view but I know what I saw and like the beaver above said, the best defensive football player they had Friday was the hot head #51. That kid was everywhere but just way too emotional and that cost them.

@Fairlawncat, in the past we have agreed on things, disagreed on things and in this case vehemently disagree. I am cool with your opinion but I would never say he is the best defensive player in the region much less the state. If you want him at Tech I hope you get him and he does what you expect. I would love to see these kids become stars at the next level but we can’t wish it for them either.

You would think Clarke County and Buckingham have some shut down defenses and met in the Region title game based on these selections. Back-scratching politics for sure. You vote for mine, I'll vote for yours.
Buckingham’s defense gave up 9 points per game this year….and they got 3 all region selections on D if you don’t count punter. Don’t overreact. Yes, Riverheads won what is probably the deepest region in 2A, but it is just that, a very deep region littered with a lot of deserving players.

There were 5 linebackers on the 2nd team. The VHSL changed their All State format and how the All State teams will be done as it's been a mess for years. Really no good way to do it and I'd be ok with getting rid of it all together. However, here are the 5 linebackers on 2nd team
Carter-Strasburg
Ancell-Luray
Fortune-Riverheads
Hecker-Central
Garber-Draft

Just chimed in to answer the linebacker question. I'll stay out of the other talk about kids and who was or was not deserving of recognition. Not a fan of that on message boards. With that being said, I think many people would put Region B up against anyone and take our chances. Lots of good players and teams littered throughout. Best of luck to Riverheads and the 3 other teams left playing.

Lopez has offers to Maine and ODU.
Both schools are Div 1. 1 is FBS and 1 is FCS. So....no offense here, but not entirely well said. I respect the opinions of you Riverheads guys and your takes, but to say he isn't D1 is simply not accurate. Maine, and from what I heard, recently ODU obviously feel he's D1. And to say he's not D2 or D3 is borderline insanity.
you are mistaking D1 talent with D1 potential. He has gotten some offers from small schools because of his size and and speed. I have the privilege of talking with a D1 coach and two recruiters for the football team at the University I work at and they all will say the same thing. There are D1 talent kids in high school in my opinion the RB from LCA and then there are D1 potential kids. I was not saying that 18 couldn't make it at the next level with a lot of work and good coaching I was saying he is not anywhere near that level yet. He has the measurements and the tools to be an impact maker I just hope he uses them wisely and gets a good coach that will help bring those attributes out. The coach he had this year was trash in my opinion he allowed the young men to play out of control and undisciplined and didn't help mature them in life or football. I hope Lopez makes it at the next level he just didn't play up to his hype this year and was not the DPOY in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fairlawncat
It has got more political over the past 20 yrs or so with coaches wanting "their guy" on the list, always trade offs for what each want. There are plenty of examples every yr in all classifications, every district, every region.

There is a lot that goes into the district votes and politics does play a role in it, which it shouldn't but it does. I like to think that good coaches actually vote for the players they feel are deserving and not just their own. A lot of times it is based off of stats that are presented, but also these stats are compiled by the coach. This leaves out deserving players that have low numbers, but actually make a difference on the field and are just gamers. Stats get inflated as well. One school might count assisted tackles as a half tackle, where other teams could count it as a whole tackle. The half tackle player could show up as having 20 less tackles than another player, but in reality actually had the same amount, if not more, if they were counted as whole tackles. Same thing a previous post mentioned, QB slips and the sack is credited to closest player or teams will give a tackle for pushing a kid out of bounce or being within an arms reach. It sucks being a coach and having to tell a deserving player they didn't get recognized because of the politics.

As far as DI-DIII, I don't think any of the mentioned players are DI, woo hoo, talent...not even CCC. Will they get DI offers, sure because they have, but I just don't see them as having the tangibles to receive significant playing time during a college career. DII, most definitely. I have seen less talented players receive DI offers and I have seen far more talented be overlooked by DI schools. Heck, I've even seen players get offered simply as a tool to try and get another teammate to accept an offer.

District, region, state and recruiting are all a fickle thing that makes people scratch their heads.

Reactions: vman3196
Buckingham’s defense gave up 9 points per game this year….and they got 3 all region selections on D if you don’t count punter. Don’t overreact. Yes, Riverheads won what is probably the deepest region in 2A, but it is just that, a very deep region littered with a lot of deserving players.
Competition outside of the Region matters. Clarke lost two games yet finished 6th in the rankings. You can really stack up some stats and put some stuff on film against lesser competition.

There is a lot that goes into the district votes and politics does play a role in it, which it shouldn't but it does. I like to think that good coaches actually vote for the players they feel are deserving and not just their own. A lot of times it is based off of stats that are presented, but also these stats are compiled by the coach. This leaves out deserving players that have low numbers, but actually make a difference on the field and are just gamers. Stats get inflated as well. One school might count assisted tackles as a half tackle, where other teams could count it as a whole tackle. The half tackle player could show up as having 20 less tackles than another player, but in reality actually had the same amount, if not more, if they were counted as whole tackles. Same thing a previous post mentioned, QB slips and the sack is credited to closest player or teams will give a tackle for pushing a kid out of bounce or being within an arms reach. It sucks being a coach and having to tell a deserving player they didn't get recognized because of the politics.

As far as DI-DIII, I don't think any of the mentioned players are DI, woo hoo, talent...not even CCC. Will they get DI offers, sure because they have, but I just don't see them as having the tangibles to receive significant playing time during a college career. DII, most definitely. I have seen less talented players receive DI offers and I have seen far more talented be overlooked by DI schools. Heck, I've even seen players get offered simply as a tool to try and get another teammate to accept an offer.

District, region, state and recruiting are all a fickle thing that makes people scratch their heads.
Agree. If you have the frame to fill out or the speed that translates you can get recruited as a D1 athlete. CCC and Lopez definitely have the frames. Imagine them at 22 years old on a college nutrition and weight plan!! That's what they see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT