ADVERTISEMENT

Almost That Time

RedPrideNation_RollPride

VaPreps All District
Oct 13, 2014
It’s been way too many months since we witnessed football in the late summer and fall like we should. I know everyone is ready to fire back up with the practices to get this thing started. With that said who are the standouts from each region and why?

Region A- I am kind of blind here with so many of the historically strong teams not playing in the spring. Does that effect them to start this season or do we see Essex lead a very strong contingent from the region back to the state stage to compete for and advance to the championship?

Region B- Riverheads should have many returning pieces but how do they gel with a slightly different stable of running backs. Buffalo Gap may make noise as well since they will join their cross county rival in Class 1. I would look to see what was a young Sussex team when we last saw them back in contention (sledge hammers is an understatement for their ability to hit).Not sure what Franklin is bringing back so unless someone has insight for me it’s a wait and see on them. Altavista, Central Lunenburg and William Campbell always play a tough schedule so any one of them can make a run.

Region C- I think Galax may actually step back just slightly if the group at GW can get it rolling. Good skill players on both teams but the edge has to go to GW with the slightly more experienced QB and Galax losing some line play from the spring. All due respect to Narrows but I am pretty sure a good bit of talent graduated so this may be a development year for them. Giles has a tremendous upside but are the hallways really being recruited hard enough to get those athletes from years past on the field for them. PM and Auburn with new coaches are interesting but would be shocking if they were to make a significantly deep run.

Region D- Who steps into the void? Really puzzling to me as there have been some significant graduations at the schools that were successful in the spring and a couple programs that had a surprisingly successful shortened season that ended a tad bit short of most of our predictions. Someone more familiar can add context but it should be a wild Wild West in what I think will be a transition season for SWVA in Class 1 and could see a new face representing.

Reactions: Bama1985
Rhs has a tough 3 weeks in 3, 4, and 5, hopefully we can give lord botertout a good game and maybe a win, will be a hard task but rhs won't back down, they have a really big stud, but we still have some size and speed, will see a monster year of triple c, and should have a good passing team this year. GO BIG RED

I have heard that Big Red has a very low turn out so far . Maybe kids will show up once the word gets out , and Bama how is Jer doin ? Pray for Rain , The corn is hurting !

Jer is getting there, he is wanting to see football live this year, yes we need rain, he is wanting to meet u, and take u out to eat, vbs this week so will be real busy, bring your grandkids and come on out and make yourself known.

I have heard that Big Red has a very low turn out so far . Maybe kids will show up once the word gets out , and Bama how is Jer doin ? Pray for Rain , The corn is hurting !
They will have a few kids on the team this year and a few of them will be showing off there rings to the others to make them want to play harder

In Region D, if J.I.Burton were the choice, it would be a good one. Grundy is going to be pretty good and not a surprise if Grundy were to win Region D. I think it's a toss up with JI Burton and Grundy. Chilhowie, Patrick Henry, Holston all will be pretty good, but I think it's JI Burtons Region to lose this year followed by Grundy a close second.

In Region C, Narrows still has some talent and will be good, but a notch down. George Wythe will be very good and Galax will be about the same. Not much of a letdown. Giles is further along than most people know or realize. I look for an all out war with Giles and Galax playing for the Region C Title and I think it's a tossup. I'm actually going to pick Giles, yes, this year to win Region C. I am surely picking Giles in 2022 to play for a state title and maybe, maybe, actually win it. Giles is one year away. After this year, Giles will be loaded for a good 3 years at the Div 1 level and I'm telling ya right now, within the next 4 years, Giles will have another state title in the bucket.

Reactions: Bama1985
In Region D, if J.I.Burton were the choice, it would be a good one. Grundy is going to be pretty good and not a surprise if Grundy were to win Region D. I think it's a toss up with JI Burton and Grundy. Chilhowie, Patrick Henry, Holston all will be pretty good, but I think it's JI Burtons Region to lose this year followed by Grundy a close second.

In Region C, Narrows still has some talent and will be good, but a notch down. George Wythe will be very good and Galax will be about the same. Not much of a letdown. Giles is further along than most people know or realize. I look for an all out war with Giles and Galax playing for the Region C Title and I think it's a tossup. I'm actually going to pick Giles, yes, this year to win Region C. I am surely picking Giles in 2022 to play for a state title and maybe, maybe, actually win it. Giles is one year away. After this year, Giles will be loaded for a good 3 years at the Div 1 level and I'm telling ya right now, within the next 4 years, Giles will have another state title in the bucket.
As a Giles fan I sure hope you are right but I think you may be pouring it on a little thick

Giles and Galax I think, will be a toss up game this year with Giles improving a bunch from last year and Galax still very good, but just a notch down. I think it makes it very close. Giles is really pretty dang good in classes 7,8,9, 10. This year, lots of youth on the field for Giles, but lots of talent with that youth.

It’s been way too many months since we witnessed football in the late summer and fall like we should. I know everyone is ready to fire back up with the practices to get this thing started. With that said who are the standouts from each region and why?

Region A- I am kind of blind here with so many of the historically strong teams not playing in the spring. Does that effect them to start this season or do we see Essex lead a very strong contingent from the region back to the state stage to compete for and advance to the championship?

Region B- Riverheads should have many returning pieces but how do they gel with a slightly different stable of running backs. Buffalo Gap may make noise as well since they will join their cross county rival in Class 1. I would look to see what was a young Sussex team when we last saw them back in contention (sledge hammers is an understatement for their ability to hit).Not sure what Franklin is bringing back so unless someone has insight for me it’s a wait and see on them. Altavista, Central Lunenburg and William Campbell always play a tough schedule so any one of them can make a run.

Region C- I think Galax may actually step back just slightly if the group at GW can get it rolling. Good skill players on both teams but the edge has to go to GW with the slightly more experienced QB and Galax losing some line play from the spring. All due respect to Narrows but I am pretty sure a good bit of talent graduated so this may be a development year for them. Giles has a tremendous upside but are the hallways really being recruited hard enough to get those athletes from years past on the field for them. PM and Auburn with new coaches are interesting but would be shocking if they were to make a significantly deep run.

Region D- Who steps into the void? Really puzzling to me as there have been some significant graduations at the schools that were successful in the spring and a couple programs that had a surprisingly successful shortened season that ended a tad bit short of most of our predictions. Someone more familiar can add context but it should be a wild Wild West in what I think will be a transition season for SWVA in Class 1 and could see a new face representing.
Galax only lost one linemen from last years team, Galax was pretty young on the line last year

Hey @MT FAN 91, yeah that is a great weapon in and of itself. The thing is, your QB made them look even better so with all due respect to whomever is coming in to fill that spot, there has to be some drop off.

Hey @MT FAN 91, yeah that is a great weapon in and of itself. The thing is, your QB made them look even better so with all due respect to whomever is coming in to fill that spot, there has to be some drop off.
I'm more worried about the loss of Pickett, Barnes and Beaman, hard to replace those 3. Ashworth is a pretty good QB and a heck of a athlete with that being we have a brutal schedule ahead of us but we just might be better than people think. The seniors and juniors on this team went undefeated in JV and yes I know that doesn't always translate into success at the varsity level. Time will tell how they handle the loss of last years seniors.

Giles and Galax I think, will be a toss up game this year with Giles improving a bunch from last year and Galax still very good, but just a notch down. I think it makes it very close. Giles is really pretty dang good in classes 7,8,9, 10. This year, lots of youth on the field for Giles, but lots of talent with that youth.
You are correct Giles is young. Future could be bright. NOTE could be. Many things need to happen and take place.

RHS scrimmages turner ashby this Fri at 6, hope they will allow fans and I am sure they will charge to get in, only scrimmage before they start on the 27th, let this be the start of a deep run into the playoffs, GO BIG RED

RHS scrimmages turner ashby this Fri at 6, hope they will allow fans and I am sure they will charge to get in, only scrimmage before they start on the 27th, let this be the start of a deep run into the playoffs, GO BIG RED
School site says Saturday at 11 ?

School site says Saturday at 11 ?
A reliable source said Fri at 6 his son plays so he should know, but u know how things change, I hope the covid don't mess the season up and that the fans can go and watch full capacity, jer has been wanting to go to a live game for a long time

A reliable source said Fri at 6 his son plays so he should know, but u know how things change, I hope the covid don't mess the season up and that the fans can go and watch full capacity, jer has been wanting to go to a live game for a long time
Maybe I will see you and Jer at the scrimmage ?

I will sit with you at the scrimmage if it is not too hot and I am able to make it to the top row ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT