ADVERTISEMENT

Alright guys. Let's talk about our teams.

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
I will start.
Salem Spartans
Questions new head coach Don Holter
New QB?
Solid returnees
Isaiah Persinger over 1771 yards rushing
Zavione Wood 779 yards rushing
Good size offensive line
Undefeated JV team.
Also, Salem returns WrDB Jordan and Jaden McDonald, both 6'2 to 6'3, Chase Ferris, Shaun Collins, LB Bobby Pinello.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNation85
EC Glass Hilltoppers
Woody and Staff are back
DreSean Kendrick returns at QB (1600 yds rushing, 900 yds passing)
Ty Foster returns at RB (1200 yds rushing)
New group of receivers and Defensive backs with the exception of Mack Johnson(slot and safety) 5 ints last year
Big line with the addition of Holden Ayers(6'3" 300)
Returning 4D defensive player of the year DL Holden Fretz(110 tackles 18 TFL 9 sacks

King George Foxes
Lunsford back as HC but new DC and assistant coaches
Sophomore transfer in at QB
Rising Jr. Javon Campbell returns in the backfield after injury (950 yds rushing before injury)
Entire OL returns from last year
Returning Parr and Cox in the defensive backfield.
DL returns Daniels who has gotten bigger and stronger this offseason.
Overall returning youth from last year that got pltenty of playing time should make the Foxes better this year.

Tuscarora Huskies

QB- Sr Ethan Gick 5A All-State all purpose
RB- So Bryce Duke (Ranked #21 at the Opening)
WR- Sr Jevonn Gilyard and Jr Ryan Upp
TE- Sr Noah Gick 5A All State
OL- Large group led by 300 lb Sr Gabe El-Fiky
DL- Jr Matei Fitz (school record holder for sacks)
ILB- Sr Will Hatfield (3 year starter)/
OLB- Jr Rainer Haveland/Sr Abunoh Akwe
CB- Sr Mikey Marquez

Question marks:
-How does the OL gel after graduating 3 of 5?
-E. Gick’s full time move to QB leaves a hole at FS
-How does success in 5A translate into 4A?

Overall:
-Hardest working Husky team since 2015
-Duke, Fitz, Gilyard, and Haveland are exciting!

Good luck to everyone and it should be an exciting year.

JF - short version:
Solid skill positions all the way around.
2 good QBs (not sure who will start yet)
Cupit returns as RB
Hackworth, Harris, Braxton all return, not sure what position they will be utilized in specifically with the new offense.

Question marks:
depth. All of these guys will likely have to start both ways.
New offense/defense
Coaching transition

JF - short version:
Solid skill positions all the way around.
2 good QBs (not sure who will start yet)
Cupit returns as RB
Hackworth, Harris, Braxton all return, not sure what position they will be utilized in specifically with the new offense.

Question marks:
depth. All of these guys will likely have to start both ways.
New offense/defense
Coaching transition

Excited to see the new JF!

Halifax County Comets

3rd year under Coach Throckmorton
Back to back 5-5 seasons
Region 5D playoffs in 2018

Offense
losing QB, top 2 RB's and 1 OL
O could be very young
QB will be a Freshman or someone else without experience
Potential to return 4 starters on OL, top WR, TE and 2 wings with varsity experience.

Defense allowed less than 16 pts a game last year and returns 7 starters.
Need to replace S, OLB, DE, and N.
Defense anchored by 5D 2nd Team Region, 3yr starter LB Brandon Davis (6'2, 215) 102 tackles, 5 TFL and 3 sacks in 2018. 3 year totals of almost 300 total tackles.

Big game @ JF early in season

Curious to hear your thoughts on AC @wikki
Sorry I'm not Wikki…

Amherst Lancers
1st year Coach Bob Christmas

Offense
Losing top RB Frank Ross
RB Samari Brogden,Xavier Ellis should be the featured RB's for Amherst..Both is better than what we had over last few years..
QB will be C.J Rose..C.J is really a RB playing QB but he has to be accounted for as a playmaker...Injuries has hampered him throughout his career though..
OLINE..Well nothing to say except they're working hard..It will be hard for Coach Christmas not to pull up 9th graders before they ready to play Varsity...
Defense..Kavin Carter is the defense and is very talented.These guys have to play both ways for any kind of success..

Outlook..Amherst hasn't conditioned for 2+ years now during the off season..With only 1 viable feeder program and multiple kids quitting football last year,It will take Coach a year to get Amherst back on track..Jerry Cashwell 6.1 220lb 8th grader is a load and need to be on the field again..Christmas has done an amazing job so far and Amherst will be back very soon.

Sorry I'm not Wikki…

Amherst Lancers

Offense
Losing top RB Frank Ross
RB Samari Brogden,Xavier Ellis should be the featured RB's for Amherst..Both is better than what we had over last few years..
QB will be C.J Rose..C.J is really a RB playing QB but he has to be accounted for as a playmaker...Injuries has hampered him throughout his career though..
OLINE..Well nothing to say except they're working hard..It will be hard for Coach Christmas not to pull up 9th graders before they ready to play Varsity...
Defense..Kavin Carter is the defense and is very talented.These guys have to play both ways for any kind of success..

Outlook..Amherst hasn't conditioned for 2+ years now during the off season..With only 1 viable feeder program and multiple kids quitting football last year,It will take Coach a year to get Amherst back on track..Jerry Cashwell 6.1 220lb 8th grader is a load and need to be on the field again..Christmas has done an amazing job so far and Amherst will be back very soon.
I heard Brogden was moving to SC.....???

Sorry I'm not Wikki…

Amherst Lancers

Offense
Losing top RB Frank Ross

All I’m going to say is, coach has things going in the right direction. I like what he has done so far. He is awesome, I’ve talked to him several times. He likes the kids at Amherst and how respectful they are. I believe there will be more kids going out this year than in the past.

All I’m going to say is, coach has things going in the right direction. I like what he has done so far. He is awesome, I’ve talked to him several times. He likes the kids at Amherst and how respectful they are. I believe there will be more kids going out this year than in the past.
It’s also a shame that they haven’t been conditioned for the last couple of years.

EC Glass Hilltoppers
Woody and Staff are back
DreSean Kendrick returns at QB (1600 yds rushing, 900 yds passing)
Ty Foster returns at RB (1200 yds rushing)
New group of receivers and Defensive backs with the exception of Mack Johnson(slot and safety) 5 ints last year
Big line with the addition of Holden Ayers(6'3" 300)
Returning 4D defensive player of the year DL Holden Fretz(110 tackles 18 TFL 9 sacks
New set of dbs but basically the same group that played against Blacksburg
Kewon Brown returns he started at corner several years.
Q. Foster returns (ty foster brother) will be very good)
Also expect KENDRICK to play a little more on d.
Strength of team will be up front.
Lt Bj Wheat 6’3 308 4th year starting
Lg Holden Ayers 6’3 305 transfer
C Andrew Dunlop 6’3 235
Rg Tyler Paige 6’3 245
Lt Carington Harvey 6’5 295
Te/hb Holden Fretz 6’0 250
Lots of experience all the kids started last year with the exception of Dunlop who started several games. All 5 kids are athletic and physical. Also have some depth with another 300 pounder who is returning from shoulder injury that started multiple games last year.
Defense will overall be improved but will have to grow up fast in the secondary. The secondary will have better athletes just less experience. Look for JADAN MERRIMAN to be a break out star on the defensive line.

Tuscarora Huskies

QB- Sr Ethan Gick 5A All-State all purpose
RB- So Bryce Duke (Ranked #21 at the Opening)
WR- Sr Jevonn Gilyard and Jr Ryan Upp
TE- Sr Noah Gick 5A All State
OL- Large group led by 300 lb Sr Gabe El-Fiky
DL- Jr Matei Fitz (school record holder for sacks)
ILB- Sr Will Hatfield (3 year starter)/
OLB- Jr Rainer Haveland/Sr Abunoh Akwe
CB- Sr Mikey Marquez

Question marks:
-How does the OL gel after graduating 3 of 5?
-E. Gick’s full time move to QB leaves a hole at FS
-How does success in 5A translate into 4A?

Overall:
-Hardest working Husky team since 2015
-Duke, Fitz, Gilyard, and Haveland are exciting!

Good luck to everyone and it should be an exciting year.
Is the big kid that played DE still at Tuscarora

Yes already more kids is conditioning..Coach has already reached out to the youth programs and kids is finally working hard with leadership,instead of working out on their own..Like I said it will take a year or 2 to undue what has happen last few years.

That's who I was referring to couple weeks ago..I heard there is a chance he stays now with Christmas coaching Amhrst now...He is now in the weightroom so we will see..VOLNation you got spies in Amherst?
Lol nah no spies. I just know a lot of people in a lot of places...especially in Madison Heights and Amherst ;)

@Mic Honcho lemme know if I'm right or not
gw
qb-kobe hairston, sports head said that hunter brynes lil bro is pretty good
rb- willie edmunds, big graves, and kobe dixon
wr- shawn watlington and fatz mcclary
the whole offensive line returns- sports head put a tweet out saying the smallest lineman is 6'2 275
the defense loss poole and elam but shy watlington gonna step right in
the dline has my lil cousin cornbread williamson who is gonna be a monster

am i missing anybody mic?

GW-Danville

Offense:

QB1 - Sha'Kobe Harriston - 6'2 - 2021, Played QB in JV his Freshman Year, WR last year, interest from several D1 Programs.
QB2 - Jeb Byrnes - 5'11 - 2022, has played QB forever, brother of Hunter Byrnes. Really good football IQ. Will be good back up if ShaKobe has to go out for any reason or if he plays any WR.
RB1 - Wesley Graves - 5'10 - 2020, no explaining needed, he's a beast, will go to a power 5 conference school.
RB2 - Willie Edmunds - 5'11 - 2021, has been some rumors he'll transfer but from what I've heard that's unlikely. Cousin of Edmunds brothers in NFL, will go to a power 5 conference school.
RB3 - Kobe Dixon - 5'11 - 2022, he's a beast, can dunk on the basketball court, have heard he'll probably play more defense than offense this year but will get a lot of action for a third string.
WR1 - Shawn Watlington - 6'0 - 2020, insane athlete, already has two offers from D1 programs, will go to a power 5 conference school.
WR2 - Shyheim Watlington - 6'1 - 2022, also insane athlete, standing across from you you'd think he plays in college. Needs to work on hands but he's a monster on the field.
WR3 - Kendrell McClary - 6'0 - 2020, under the radar player. Plays both ways as well and Shawn and Shy. College level player if he develops on the field.
Slot/TE/?????? - Not too educated on what this will be but from what I know is that it'll be a guy not used as much as the ones listed above. Dixon might play some slot is something I've heard or it'll be Zavion King, 5'8 2021. 2020 Deadrian Towler 6'2 will play TE. Another under the radar player. Also have heard that Jacob Bottoms, 6'3 2021 might play some TE as a backup.
OL - Tyler McDuffie - 6'8 2020 - ~320 - He's the guy everyone is freaking out about. Is working really hard in Spring Practice. Only concern is he's never played a down in his life. Will be interesting to see how he does. If he stays healthy he will go to a Power 5 Conference School as there are .
OL - Tylee Myers - 2020 - 6'1 - ~280 - Great work ethic, great player, under the radar, he has a good chance to shine. Will play in college.
OL - Jayden Worsham - 2020 - 6'3 - ~260 Another under the radar player, been working really hard in the off-season and in the weight room. Has received interest from App State, will probably play in college.
OL - George Jackson - 2021 - 6'3 - ~260 Good tackle last year, older brother Will plays for W&L and was a beast a few years ago. Great football IQ.
OL - ?????? - This is going to be tricky. I have no clue who will take the last spot. It'll be close as it depends if Max Roupe can go to GW or not. If he can he'll play and he is a monster, ~290 6'3. Went to Potomac Falls last two years and started for GW on the line his Freshman year. If not it'll probably be Jonathan Wilkerson. Wilkerson didn't play much last year because of an ACL injury but will be a guy to be reckoned with on the field if he does well in practices this summer, 6'1 ~250.

Defense:

A lot of guys will be going both ways according to Coach Anderson's interview with CVip. I'll just post a few of the highlight guys.

DL - Jalen Williamson - 6'4 ~290 - 2020 - Williamson is a beast. Will play for a Power 5 Conference School. He's broken all of GW lifting records, as a Junior. He'll shred through the OLines like a hot knife through some butter. Contrary to popular belief he's not playing OLine, will be DLine only.
LB - Deadrian Towler - 6'2 - ~220 - 2020 - Towler will play TE but will excel at LB this year with Carl Poole gone in my opinion. He learned under him for two years and I think he'll surprise some teams.
CB - Rahmel Goode - 6'0 - ~160 - 2020 Haven't seen too much of his film but what I have heard from some people he'll be a play maker so we'll have to see.
S - Shawn Watlington - He's going both ways, a lot of teams are recruiting him for his safety position, big threat to WRs playing down field.
LB - Shy Watlington - He's also going both ways at the LB position from what I've heard. He's so scary.
DB - Kendrell McClary - Not too sure where he'll end up this year he'll probably play a little bit of everything. But, he is super fast and will disrupt teams' passing games.

Please let me know if I missed anyone. Like I said a lot of guys will be going both ways. Everything I've heard is from the Danville football community and my own opinions. A lot of the guys mentioned do have Twitters so go give them a follow as they do post highlights, offers, etc.

Chuck Vipperman did have an interview with Coach Anderson linked here detailing the upcoming season: http://mixlr.com/cvipmediasolutions

Last edited:
@Mic Honcho lemme know if I'm right or not
gw
qb-kobe hairston, sports head said that hunter brynes lil bro is pretty good
rb- willie edmunds, big graves, and kobe dixon
wr- shawn watlington and fatz mcclary
the whole offensive line returns- sports head put a tweet out saying the smallest lineman is 6'2 275
the defense loss poole and elam but shy watlington gonna step right in
the dline has my lil cousin cornbread williamson who is gonna be a monster

am i missing anybody mic?
Pretty sure the Center Marquis Carter was a senior this year.

GW-Danville

Offense:

QB1 - Sha'Kobe Harriston - 6'2 - 2021, Played QB in JV his Freshman Year, WR last year, interest from several D1 Programs.
QB2 - Jeb Byrnes - 5'11 - 2022, has played QB forever, brother of Hunter Byrnes. Really good football IQ. Will be good back up if ShaKobe has to go out for any reason or if he plays any WR.
RB1 - Wesley Graves - 5'10 - 2020, no explaining needed, he's a beast, will go to a power 5 conference school.
RB2 - Willie Edmunds - 5'11 - 2021, has been some rumors he'll transfer but from what I've heard that's unlikely. Cousin of Edmunds brothers in NFL, will go to a power 5 conference school.
RB3 - Kobe Dixon - 5'11 - 2022, he's a beast, can dunk on the basketball court, have heard he'll probably play more defense than offense this year but will get a lot of action for a third string.
WR1 - Shawn Watlington - 6'0 - 2020, insane athlete, already has two offers from D1 programs, will go to a power 5 conference school.
WR2 - Shyheim Watlington - 6'1 - 2022, also insane athlete, standing across from you you'd think he plays in college. Needs to work on hands but he's a monster on the field.
WR3 - Kendrell McClary - 6'0 - 2020, under the radar player. Plays both ways as well and Shawn and Shy. College level player if he develops on the field.
Slot/TE/?????? - Not too educated on what this will be but from what I know is that it'll be a guy not used as much as the ones listed above. Dixon might play some slot is something I've heard or it'll be Zavion King, 5'8 2021. 2020 Deadrian Towler 6'2 will play TE. Another under the radar player. Also have heard that Jacob Bottoms, 6'3 2021 might play some TE as a backup.
OL - Tyler McDuffie - 6'8 2020 - ~320 - He's the guy everyone is freaking out about. Is working really hard in Spring Practice. Only concern is he's never played a down in his life. Will be interesting to see how he does. If he stays healthy he will go to a Power 5 Conference School as there are .
OL - Tylee Myers - 2020 - 6'1 - ~280 - Great work ethic, great player, under the radar, he has a good chance to shine. Will play in college.
OL - Jayden Worsham - 2020 - 6'3 - ~260 Another under the radar player, been working really hard in the off-season and in the weight room. Has received interest from App State, will probably play in college.
OL - George Jackson - 2021 - 6'3 - ~260 Good tackle last year, older brother Will plays for W&L and was a beast a few years ago. Great football IQ.
OL - ?????? - This is going to be tricky. I have no clue who will take the last spot. It'll be close as it depends if Max Roupe can go to GW or not. If he can he'll play and he is a monster, ~290 6'3. Went to Potomac Falls last two years and started for GW on the line his Freshman year. If not it'll probably be Jonathan Wilkerson. Wilkerson didn't play much last year because of an ACL injury but will be a guy to be reckoned with on the field if he does well in practices this summer, 6'1 ~250.

Defense:

A lot of guys will be going both ways according to Coach Anderson's interview with CVip. I'll just post a few of the highlight guys.

DL - Jalen Williamson - 6'4 ~290 - 2020 - Williamson is a beast. Will play for a Power 5 Conference School. He's broken all of GW lifting records, as a Junior. He'll shred through the OLines like a hot knife through some butter. Contrary to popular belief he's not playing OLine, will be DLine only.
LB - Deadrian Towler - 6'2 - ~220 - 2020 - Towler will play TE but will excel at LB this year with Carl Poole gone in my opinion. He learned under him for two years and I think he'll surprise some teams.
CB - Rahmel Goode - 6'0 - ~160 - 2020 Haven't seen too much of his film but what I have heard from some people he'll be a play maker so we'll have to see.
S - Shawn Watlington - He's going both ways, a lot of teams are recruiting him for his safety position, big threat to WRs playing down field.
LB - Shy Watlington - He's also going both ways at the LB position from what I've heard. He's so scary.
DB - Kendrell McClary - Not too sure where he'll end up this year he'll probably play a little bit of everything. But, he is super fast and will disrupt teams' passing games.

Please let me know if I missed anyone. Like I said a lot of guys will be going both ways. Everything I've heard is from the Danville football community and my own opinions. A lot of the guys mentioned do have Twitters so go give them a follow as they do post highlights, offers, etc.

Chuck Vipperman did have an interview with Coach Anderson linked here detailing the upcoming season: http://mixlr.com/cvipmediasolutions
Seems like GW is "loaded" once again. I hope they live up to the hype with all these "Power 5" guys!

Seems like GW is "loaded" once again. I hope they live up to the hype with all these "Power 5" guys!
he named 4 kids that will go power 5, how is it all these? also the only few i see going power 5 is edmunds and both watlington boys. if graves stay healthy I see him playing in conf usa. kobe hairston believe it or not will be a big time basketball player. don’t know how he won’t on the varsity team this year

cornbread williamson will be all state on d. carl got ripped off last year, he was no doubt the best defensive player in the region but its all politics

he named 4 kids that will go power 5, how is it all these? also the only few i see going power 5 is edmunds and both watlington boys. if graves stay healthy I see him playing in conf usa. kobe hairston believe it or not will be a big time basketball player. don’t know how he won’t on the varsity team this year
Not sure how familiar you are with the college football recruiting world but most high schools don't have any Power 5 guys so for a public school the size of GW to have 4 on one team (according to olemissboy) is very rare. That's why I said "all of these."

Reactions: Rev_Real
4 kids going power 5 is amazing. Rarely does a 4a have a kid that is a power 5 prospect. In the Seminole district we have one kid that has a power 5 offer(cupit, jf). That is some serious talent.

cornbread williamson will be all state on d. carl got ripped off last year, he was no doubt the best defensive player in the region but its all politics
Carl was a beast no doubt but his team got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs so they didn't get as many votes. The further a team makes it the more votes they get.

Reactions: falcettik
4 kids going power 5 is amazing. Rarely does a 4a have a kid that is a power 5 prospect. In the Seminole district we have one kid that has a power 5 offer(cupit, jf). That is some serious talent.
Seminole has two kids...Cupit (JF) and Rice (LCA).

He may have been good, but come on dude. The 4a regional defensive player of the year was Holden Fretz and he also played dline. Finished the season with 118 tackles, 18 tfl, and 9 sacks. He also was named USA Today (all classifications) 2nd team all state. But don’t worry he is also returning and he is much bigger and faster.

He may have been good, but come on dude. The 4a regional defensive player of the year was Holden Fretz and he also played dline. Finished the season with 118 tackles, 18 tfl, and 9 sacks. He also was named USA Today (all classifications) 2nd team all state. But don’t worry he is also returning and he is much bigger and faster.
who? you know how bad gw defense was 2 years ago. poole was all everything for them and he showed out on both of the seminole best backs in cupit and ross. shut them boys down.

Not sure how familiar you are with the college football recruiting world but most high schools don't have any Power 5 guys so for a public school the size of GW to have 4 on one team (according to olemissboy) is very rare. That's why I said "all of these."
doubt 4 goes power 5. he sounds like sports head with all that. they will have some guys who go division 1 but 1aa which is still great

who? you know how bad gw defense was 2 years ago. poole was all everything for them and he showed out on both of the seminole best backs in cupit and ross. shut them boys down.
Poole was very, very good and if he would have won dpoy then I would not have went politics. You realize the coaches vote on this award. And if u don’t know who Fretz is u don’t know much about football in the region.

Wait lol, are some of you even wondering if that isn't sportshead or something? Exactly as verbose, account created very shortly after he put on the tinfoil and had a meltdown, of course that's him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT