ADVERTISEMENT

Altavista at Rappahannock - 1st round thoughts?

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Altavista v Rappahannock - hmmmm......this matchup looks to be intriguing indeed.

A-Town - defending 2 time State Champs should get the Rapp faithful fired up to knock them out!

Altavista seems to have fallen on some hard times of late with 4 losses in row.

I will have to read more about this matchup, but it appears that Rappahannock could be able to pull it out if well prepared!

1) How is Rapp doing injury wise? Heard Essex put a pounding on them (as they do everyone).

2) Rapp has good D - stopped Essex several times (lots of penalties in game but still impressive). They have a solid passing game as well.

3) Rapp needs a big crowd to support them- they got a rocking little band to get everyone hyped - may have to bring the family for this one....

4) Is AltaVista's coaching staff the same? They had a good scheme the last few years with Thornhill & co. Rapp needs to be prepared to win the mental game....

5) Go NND - many doubt the Raiders every year - now is their chance to win a big one...

Thoughts?

Definitely a contrast of styles. Altavista despite their record has been battle tested. If Rapp can control the clock with their running game I think they can pull it out. Either way I think it will be a close game.

What are the players to look for with Altavista? Do they have anyone who stands out or go to guys?

Here is a little info-

Altavista is 0-2 against the only 1A teams they played this year (Lunenburg and William Campbell, solid not elite teams, both in playoffs with 7-3 records). A-Town also won easily against four 2A teams in a row before dropping some games.

I must say that 2A, overall, is quite weak this year (after just an eyeball look at the analytics). I remember seeing someone post that 2A is maybe better than ever this season. Sorry to say, but that borders on the moronic level there. dringtouti, maybe you should say something about that instead of busting on the boys in 1A :). Essex and Riverheads might both be 2 of the favorites this year in 2A as well as 1A.

Anyway, back to the question at hand, AltaVista has a so so defense, allowing many points this season. Not sure who to avoid there. Watch the film.

Offense- Main weapon is QB #11, Jake Adams - 6'0, 165. The dude can run and throw for TDs.

Next big weapon- is their kicker #89, Walker Allen. Man, he can kick long ones. Watch out if in range...

It seems best WR's are #3, #24, and #2, Moorman, Maul, Dews. All 5'10 to 6.

#2 RB Montaque solid.

Head Coach Mike Scharnus and staff are smart guys. Must out think and prepare them.

Should be a great game! I don't see why Rapp (if play strong and smart, attitudes are correct, and protect the ball) shouldn't be able to pull it off. Do not let a big play happen right before half like in W&L game that stole the momentum and derailed the game.

Here is a little info-

Altavista is 0-2 against the only 1A teams they played this year (Lunenburg and William Campbell, solid not elite teams, both in playoffs with 7-3 records). A-Town also won easily against four 2A teams in a row before dropping some games.

I must say that 2A, overall, is quite weak this year (after just an eyeball look at the analytics). I remember seeing someone post that 2A is maybe better than ever this season. Sorry to say, but that borders on the moronic level there. dringtouti, maybe you should say something about that instead of busting on the boys in 1A :). Essex and Riverheads might both be 2 of the favorites this year in 2A as well as 1A.

Anyway, back to the question at hand, AltaVista has a so so defense, allowing many points this season. Not sure who to avoid there. Watch the film.

Offense- Main weapon is QB #11, Jake Adams - 6'0, 165. The dude can run and throw for TDs.

Next big weapon- is their kicker #89, Walker Allen. Man, he can kick long ones. Watch out if in range...

It seems best WR's are #3, #24, and #2, Moorman, Maul, Dews. All 5'10 to 6.

#2 RB Montaque solid.

Head Coach Mike Scharnus and staff are smart guys. Must out think and prepare them.

Should be a great game! I don't see why Rapp (if play strong and smart, attitudes are correct, and protect the ball) shouldn't be able to pull it off. Do not let a big play happen right before half like in W&L game that stole the momentum and derailed the game.
So your formed your opinion that 2A is weak based on the 4 weak 2A teams that AltaVista beat and you don't consider that moronic? They also lost to 2 average 2A teams. Guess we need to start looking at AltaVista's schedule to gauge divisions in the future.

So your formed your opinion that 2A is weak based on the 4 weak 2A teams that AltaVista beat and you don't consider that moronic? They also lost to 2 average 2A teams. Guess we need to start looking at AltaVista's schedule to gauge divisions in the future.

Oh I can see how you would think that, but AltaVista's situation just reminded me how weak 2A is this season.

Compared to the great teams of the past in 2A (Group A)

Goochland down, Gretna down, KW down, Gate City down, Wilson down, Washington and Lee down and so on.

One of the best teams is Clarke? solid not elite

Buckingham looks strong this year.

A few others too as some team are good but not elite as in the past. Name who you think are elite this season?

#1 Glenvar and top ranked Giles both almost lost to Radford and Galax. Not saying they are not strong teams all.

Essex and Riverheads defeated all 2A teams, often destroying them.

Both Essex and Riverheads would be in the top 4 teams in 2A this season and one of them would probably (could) win it.

Last edited:
Maybe we are referring to seperate comments. The comments that I have seen were mainly referring to the West. As a whole maybe 2A isn't that strong cuz I know nothing about the East other than Clarke looks solid. Again, the comments I have seen were stating how strong the top six teams in the West were looking.

Don't know if I would call them elite but there's Appo, Union, Glenvar, Richlands, Giles, Buckingham, and possibly a couple others that you could look at as the favorites. Thats a very strong top 6. Not sure you could say rhe same in another Region.

As far as Galax playing Giles close, well they have in recent years. Its not like Galax is just an avg team. I also don't think there's a huge difference when you jump up one classification.

Judging by your post, all classifications are weak except for 1A. Appomattox beat 2 3A teams and a 4A team. Maybe all playoff teams if I'm not mistaken. Hasn't Essex knocked off a 4A or 5A? I'm sure there may be examples of this in all divisions. 1A will always look strong cuz you have nothing below them to compare to.

Like I said, I don't like to compare the difference in one classification because I think they're fairly similar. But if I was to do so I think you would have to look at the top teams.

Let's look at the top 4 teams. Could Essex, Riverheads, GW and Burton compete and possibly win against Appo, Union, Clarke and Goochland? I believe so with the exception of maybe Burton, who lost in a big way to Union. Could Appo, Union, Goochland and Clarke compete and possibly win against WA, Northside, Phoebus, and James Monroe? Maybe so. I don't know anything about those East teams but I would bet on it with West teams. 2A East does look fairly weak. #5 West has already beaten #1 East. So 2A West is very strong. That's just my take on it.

Oh I can see how you would think that, but AltaVista's situation just reminded me how weak 2A is this season.

Compared to the great teams of the past in 2A (Group A)

Goochland down, Gretna down, KW down, Gate City down, Wilson down, Washington and Lee down and so on.

One of the best teams is Clarke? solid not elite

Buckingham looks strong this year.

A few others too as some team are good but not elite as in the past. Name who you think are elite this season?

#1 Glenvar and top ranked Giles both almost lost to Radford and Galax. Not saying they are not strong teams all.

Essex and Riverheads defeated all 2A teams, often destroying them.

Both Essex and Riverheads would be in the top 4 teams in 2A this season and one of them would probably (could) win it.
Sorry, but I don't think anyone in 1A can play with Richland's.

In a pre-season multi-team scrimmage, or Jamboree as we call it, Riverheads played against Appomattox in one part of it. I don't remember the exact details, but I am pretty sure I remember it being fairly even and that I left there that day thinking they would be within a touchdown or so of each other under game conditions.

Reactions: lovethisgame78
Essex would be a tough matchup for any 2A west team. Not saying Richlands wouldn't win, because I have not seen them play, but I am pretty sure they could play with them.

Reactions: lovethisgame78
Back in 2008 I believe Gretna won the 2A state championship finishing 14-1
and they kicked everyone's behind from memory for the most part

Their one loss that year was to 1A state champion William Campbell

I'm pretty sure the 2015 Essex or Riverheads doesn't have a Juan Thornhill (AltaVista) type player on there though...

Franklin beat William Campbell in the semis and went on to beat Clintwood in the states that year i think GOAT

'Tis true.

Franklin beat a good Colonial Beach squad as well during those playoffs.

2008 state semi Gretna 45 Essex 40 @ Gretna. In a game that could of went either way. With 2 minutes or so remaining, Essex went on a drive from its own red zone into Gretna's red zone mainly off the running of Chuck Samuel. Was later flagged after a 1st down for holding or something. Later turned the ball over on downs with seconds remaining. One of the best games I've seen. Gretna's Barksdale was a beast.

Last edited:
Hence went from near midfield to inside the Gretna 5 and there was a holding call on the play. Essex fans still wonder about that penalty. Essex ultimately got inside the Gretna 15 or so but time was running out by then.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
2008 state semi Gretna 45 Essex 40 @ Gretna. In a game that could of went either way. With 2 minutes or so remaining, Essex went on a drive from its own red zone into Gretna's red zone mainly off the running of Chuck Samuel. Was later flagged after a 1st down for holding or something. Later turned the ball over on downs with seconds remaining. One of the best games I've seen.

Oh goodness... countdown until HR6 talks about Essex's lack of bleachers in 5..4..3.....

lovethisgame78, in regards to my comments that 2A is weak overall this season compared to years past, I think that is true. I guess that we will have to agree to disagree on that.

Just to be clear, I did not say that 2A football is overall weaker than overall 1A football. Overall the 6 classifications go up in quality as you go up in size as is expected and known (however, there are always exceptions in each class as some great teams or programs transcend classifications).

Someone had said that 2A football in 2015 is better and stronger than ever. I disagree. This is where I say 2A football as a whole is not nearly as powerful as it has been in the past. Sure there are some good teams, none great in my opinion. For example, Giles fans will probably agree that they have a good 9-1 team this year, not one of their elite ones. Appomattox looks very strong.

I mentioned several examples of why 2A is down, I also base this on the fact that 2nd tier 1A teams went head to head with the top ranked 2A teams and lost in close, either way battles. Top tier 1A teams (Essex and Riverheads) imo would be favored over them in neutral sites. Not to mention many third tier 1A teams defeated lots of 2As as well. If folks disagree, that is fine with me.

Lastly, Go VA Tech Hokies! Send out legendary Coach Beamer out on a great, strong note that he deserves.Thanks go to Coach Beamer for all he did for Virginia football and for his contributions to college football as well! Well done and way to leave on your own terms with honor and appreciation from all!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT