ADVERTISEMENT

Altavista, Wilson Memorial, or Buffalo Gap-which coaching job would you choose?

You are very right!! Based on heritage and talent level over the haul plus being in 1a Altavista would be tough to pass on. But, you would be following a "legend"/ great coach.

Absolutely Wilson. You can pull from Staunton, you're one of the larger 2A schools, traditionally pretty athletic.

I'm not sure what Altavista has coming back - but I can't imagine the coach leaving if he was loaded for a few more years.

Gap has not been very good in a very, very, very long time. They need someone who is going to be there for 15+ years.

Well, apparently the news is that Chad Ward from Altavista turned down both Altavista and Wilson jobs to become the new head coach at Buffalo Gap although I have not seen anything official on it yet. Best of luck to him!

Gap is getting a great coach in Ward, as a high school basketball coach you rarely, if ever get the opportunity to be 2nd in command behind a coach like Cartalaro. Same goes for Altavista, they are getting a very young coach in Harris who has had phenomenal success as a head coach at the JV level in this area. Not to mention, other than a short stint at Chatham, between playing and coaching, Troy Harris has been in the Colonel program for 10+ years. Pressure to succeed at Altavista is not as overwhelming as some may think, your biggest problem as a head coach in todays high school athletics is managing the egos of the players parents.

They offered the Altavista job to Chad ward on Monday and he turned it down he excited about the new opportunity at Gap.Good luck to both coaches on there new jobs !

Last edited:
They offered the job to Chad ward on Monday and he turned it down he excited about the new opportunity at Gap.Good luck to both coaches on there new jobs !
Absolutely-I hope both coaches do great things!

Question now is -where does that leave Wilson? Who is their second choice since Ward turned them down?

I'm taking the job at Wilson...moving from the girls side of coaching to the boys side. Just kidding! I am interested in who will get the Wilson job because I have a couple kids that I coach on my son's AAU team that will likely go to Wilson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT