ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst/Salem Game

Just to clear the air I am not trying to bash the Wise kid. He is a special talent. The Prep Posters know I work hard to state the facts, not trash kids or bs. He has worked hard and will do well in college.

To discount any bias theory let me state that I have seen each kid kick. I root for Anspach each week and I went to college with Sidhus father (havent seen or talked to him in years). Wise won a Sailer kicking service competition in NC and that is awesome, but the only time he faced the others in a pressured situation (JMU) Craft came out on top. Just saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Kicker rankings are worthless from the ground up. The main sites have zero idea of what to look for in a kicker, they typically rate strictly based on the offers and base stats like %, KO %, etc. There's a site or two who specifically does P/K rankings like Chris Sailer's but theirs tend to rely on how kids do at specific camps and they'll have "5 star" kids who are going to DII or DIII schools.

It's a complete crapshoot with kickers, I wouldn't look into their so-called rankings for anything of substance.

Well said 1morehokie. You defined the rankings and paid kicking services perfectly. Do they help kids? The instruction and competition does, but a lot of it is a pipe dream sold to overzealous parents.

If you can catch, run, pass, tackle, or kick the college coaches will find you.

Last edited:
Didnt mean to be short in any of those responses. Sailer changes his ratings throughout the summer. Wise was as high as top 10. Idk his final ranking in the class. But it is 5 star.

He has offers from jmu. Richmond. Army. Feel like there is another.

UVA-Wise maybe? I would be suprised if any of these offers are full scholarships (likely partials), but its an honor just to be given a preferred walk on spot or partial as a special teams player. Congrats to the kid. Didnt his brother go to VA Tech and transfer to Carson Newman? If I remember correctly i read Carson Wise is transferring to NC State as a graduate.

This is an interesting rivalry as both teams are traditionally strong and well respected. Amherst won last years game in a track meet and exposed some early Spartan weaknesses. Salem adjusted and as we all know went on a 13 game winning streak ending in a state title.

There are several significant differences between the 2016 and 2017 editions of these two teams and here are some points to ponder.

Salem:

1. Ramsey has returned to his defensive end spot. He will maintain the edge and will improve the Spartan pass rush.

2. Salem's defensive backs have matured and are a very capable unit. Mike, I agree with you on Luke Owen. I have looked at the State Final game numerous times and this young man did an exceptional job in coverage against the Dinwiddie receiving corp. Although, Pope did beat him a few times he displayed a ton of grit and played much bigger than his size. In fact, I thought he was Salem's MVP in the final.

3. Salem has a new guy under center, so I look for the Spartans to do what they do best and pound the rock up the middle against a young Lancer defense. I am sure they will take a few deep shots to Tucker especially if Amherst pushes up to play the run. Teams will either double Tucker or play off, so don't be surprised if Salem utilizes short passes in space or isolation type screens to get him in the game.

4. The loss of Fox (tackling machine) in the middle of the defense will hurt and the Spartan linebackers need time to gel. They are loaded on the d-line which will make the learning curve much easier.

Amherst:

1. DSH, already pointed it out, but I will re-emphasize it. The Lancer lost a ton of playmakers on offense and you just don't beat Salem without having guys who can stretch their defense. Amherst must combat Salem's ball possession by striking quickly.

2. Amherst had a very balanced attack last year. Even with a talented quarterback (dual threat) the Lancers must make Salem respect the run. Can they do that with new faces toting the mail.

3. The field position game will be key for the Lancers. If Salem scores the Lancers will have to drive the length of the field on each possession as the Spartan kicker, Nate Craft will likely put the ball in the end zone or out on each attempt. Amherst must make stops, force Salem to punt and take advantage of a short field.

4. Defensively, the Lancers must gamble. They will have to load the box and play 1 v. 1 on the outside. Run blitzes, sound linebacker play and sure tackling are a must. If the Lancers can force the Spartans to run east to west their chances improve, but more importantly they need to force a few turnovers.

With all this being said I honestly don't think the young and talented Lancers have the maturity to defeat the well oiled machine of Salem. The Lancers will struggle to stop the run and will wear down quickly. When you combine the power running game and one of the top defenses in Class 4 this season, I don't expect the Spartans to allow this game to move into warp speed; therefore, eliminating the Lancers only saving grace.

The Lancers play hard, but Salem wins this one in workmanlike fashion 35-7.
This is an interesting rivalry as both teams are traditionally strong and well respected. Amherst won last years game in a track meet and exposed some early Spartan weaknesses. Salem adjusted and as we all know went on a 13 game winning streak ending in a state title.

There are several significant differences between the 2016 and 2017 editions of these two teams and here are some points to ponder.

Salem:

1. Ramsey has returned to his defensive end spot. He will maintain the edge and will improve the Spartan pass rush.

2. Salem's defensive backs have matured and are a very capable unit. Mike, I agree with you on Luke Owen. I have looked at the State Final game numerous times and this young man did an exceptional job in coverage against the Dinwiddie receiving corp. Although, Pope did beat him a few times he displayed a ton of grit and played much bigger than his size. In fact, I thought he was Salem's MVP in the final.

3. Salem has a new guy under center, so I look for the Spartans to do what they do best and pound the rock up the middle against a young Lancer defense. I am sure they will take a few deep shots to Tucker especially if Amherst pushes up to play the run. Teams will either double Tucker or play off, so don't be surprised if Salem utilizes short passes in space or isolation type screens to get him in the game.

4. The loss of Fox (tackling machine) in the middle of the defense will hurt and the Spartan linebackers need time to gel. They are loaded on the d-line which will make the learning curve much easier.

Amherst:

1. DSH, already pointed it out, but I will re-emphasize it. The Lancer lost a ton of playmakers on offense and you just don't beat Salem without having guys who can stretch their defense. Amherst must combat Salem's ball possession by striking quickly.

2. Amherst had a very balanced attack last year. Even with a talented quarterback (dual threat) the Lancers must make Salem respect the run. Can they do that with new faces toting the mail.

3. The field position game will be key for the Lancers. If Salem scores the Lancers will have to drive the length of the field on each possession as the Spartan kicker, Nate Craft will likely put the ball in the end zone or out on each attempt. Amherst must make stops, force Salem to punt and take advantage of a short field.

4. Defensively, the Lancers must gamble. They will have to load the box and play 1 v. 1 on the outside. Run blitzes, sound linebacker play and sure tackling are a must. If the Lancers can force the Spartans to run east to west their chances improve, but more importantly they need to force a few turnovers.

With all this being said I honestly don't think the young and talented Lancers have the maturity to defeat the well oiled machine of Salem. The Lancers will struggle to stop the run and will wear down quickly. When you combine the power running game and one of the top defenses in Class 4 this season, I don't expect the Spartans to allow this game to move into warp speed; therefore, eliminating the Lancers only saving grace.

The Lancers play hard, but Salem wins this one in workmanlike fashion 35-7.
You nailed it.

Thanks Lionheart (hope you are not being sarcastic). Where have you been? Always enjoy your post and knowlege of Lynchburg area football.

Wise committed to jmu on full ride tonight. Rare for kicker straight out of high school.

Bonus on wise, he plays db too. Had a pick 6 vs phoebus in playoff semifinal and the clincher interception vs staunton river in the state championship game.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Congrats to Wise. It is extremely rare for a kicker to get a full ride. Especially at a FBS school. Hopefully, this will start a trend for exceptional special team players (kickers, punters and long snappers) in Virginia. He certainly has an advantage. He can obviously tackle which is another rarity for a kicker. Good luck to the young man.

Just watched the 49ers kicker whiff at a tackle on a return. Thought the same about wise
Lol. Most look like freaking matadors. Joey Slye from VA Tech will knock your head off though. Most coaches teach kicker to slow the returner down and force them to one side.

I saw Bryce Witt hit some poor kid that intercepted his pass attempt one time. I don't think the kid even got back in the game. Fact is, he probably couldn't remember which team he played for.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT