ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst Vs GW Danville thoughts

Should be an interesting game. Athletes on both sides of the field, and of course first game for the new Amherst head coach. I expect all of Amherst to come out for this one.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Don't let the Dinwiddie vs. GW score fool you. GW can play the run quite well and their secondary is decent. Unless Amherst can physically overwhelm the Eagles on both sides of the ball it could be a tough night for the Lancers. I don't think it will be a blowout, but I do believe Amherst growing pains, the reported loss of their starting qb, and first game jitters will lead to a two score win for GW. Hopefully both of these programs are on the way up. It's good for Region D and Class 4 in general.

I was gone tell you if they got beat that bad at home I'd treat you to a beer!
Appreciate you bro. Would love to catch a game in Amherst this year and meet some of you good people. I’ll definitely back that way come playoff time.

Reactions: wikki
Don't let the Dinwiddie vs. GW score fool you. GW can play the run quite well and their secondary is decent. Unless Amherst can physically overwhelm the Eagles on both sides of the ball it could be a tough night for the Lancers. I don't think it will be a blowout, but I do believe Amherst growing pains, the reported loss of their starting qb, and first game jitters will lead to a two score win for GW. Hopefully both of these programs are on the way up. It's good for Region D and Class 4 in general.
Navy this was one time a huge game in the area. That 2007 Amherst team is probably one of the best high school teams I’ve seen in VA. GW beat them in 06 (Amherst’s only loss over the span of two years). It’s wild to me that Amherst isn’t on the level of a Salem or Dinwiddie as they were the cream of the crop for me coming up.

Navy this was one time a huge game in the area. That 2007 Amherst team is probably one of the best high school teams I’ve seen in VA. GW beat them in 06 (Amherst’s only loss over the span of two years). It’s wild to me that Amherst isn’t on the level of a Salem or Dinwiddie as they were the cream of the crop for me coming up.
Man I remember we scrimmaged Amherst in 07-08. 07 they had the Rose brothers 😖 you wanna talk about a nightmare…. #4 took over the scrimmage himself just 2 hours of watching him electrify us on our own field. He was the 2nd IT FACTOR guy I saw play High School Football. The 1st was Patrick Mills!! He was a complete GAMEBREAKER

Man I remember we scrimmaged Amherst in 07-08. 07 they had the Rose brothers 😖 you wanna talk about a nightmare…. #4 took over the scrimmage himself just 2 hours of watching him electrify us on our own field. He was the 2nd IT FACTOR guy I saw play High School Football. The 1st was Patrick Mills!! He was a complete GAMEBREAKER
That 07 team was nasty (I’ll argue a top 10 VHSL team all time) but 06 was my favorite Amherst team. They had so much speed. Alonzo Poe (if he was 3 inches taller, he would’ve been a sure bet NFL player), Jon Rose, Big Pipe McCoy (pause), Darrius Scruggs who took heads off, and one of the underrated legends of all time, Peter Rose. I was in middle school at the time and the Amherst program, admittedly, struck fear into us. I got a lot of respect for that program and hope they can bounce back.

I don't have any inside information, but from an outsider it seems poor hires and inconsistent coaching has led to Amherst struggles. You have to create a winning culture and environment. They had that about 7-10 years ago. Just sad.

Reactions: catchtds
I don't have any inside information, but from an outsider it seems poor hires and inconsistent coaching has led to Amherst struggles. You have to create a winning culture and environment. They had that about 7-10 years ago. Just sad.
I remember almost everyone wanting change, change they got.

I was one of the ungrateful ones. Looking back the student body right and left that Phillips ran worked but it wasn't what Amherst was used to in the past. He was and is a hell of a coach and he knew how to play Salem well.

Exactly @catchtds and @MrSir#5...Coach Phillips only had 2 losing seasons (2013 and 14) I believe. The Amherst coaching staff had the kids buy in and created a sound culture. Sometimes you got to understand it's not what ya want, but what ya need. Amherst can right the ship, but you have to reach the kids and create a culture. The hell with the know it all coaches in the stands the fans need to be patient. I can tell you Mills struggled mightily his two years and I am thankful we didn't throw in the towel and can him. Give this new guy a chance!

On a side note Dinwiddie is up 55-8 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Truly admire these two storied programs and fans. Praying for a good and safe game.

Last edited:
Amherst will likely drop to C3 next cycle. They were very close to the line for this cycle. That being said, I would still like to see Amherst and Pulaski back to old times. The rivalries, the crowds, the games, were all just awesome!

I was one of the ungrateful ones. Looking back the student body right and left that Phillips ran worked but it wasn't what Amherst was used to in the past. He was and is a hell of a coach and he knew how to play Salem well.
I'm riding with Moore till the wheels fall off. Hell of a teammate and hell of a leader. If he calls plays and runs the team anything like he played somebody's ass in is gone be in trouble in the Seminole over the next few years. The buy in from the parents is the one of the biggest obstacles. Good principal in place now to back the sports programs since he was born into sports. But he is just a small piece to make it all go. Gouldthorp was like a machine with his AD duties!

I'm riding with Moore till the wheels fall off. Hell of a teammate and hell of a leader. If he calls plays and runs the team anything like he played somebody's ass in is gone be in trouble in the Seminole over the next few years. The buy in from the parents is the one of the biggest obstacles. Good principal in place now to back the sports programs since he was born into sports. But he is just a small piece to make it all go. Gouldthorp was like a machine with his AD duties!
Yes we are behind Coach Moore and so are the players and parents. Amherst will be back soon, just need to keep a coach in place for a long time.

Last edited:
Any Coach on any level in any sport is o LT as good as the staff he has around them.

Exactly @catchtds and @MrSir#5...Coach Phillips only had 2 losing seasons (2013 and 14) I believe. The Amherst coaching staff had the kids buy in and created a sound culture. Sometimes you got to understand it's not what ya want, but what ya need. Amherst can right the ship, but you have to reach the kids and create a culture. The hell with the know it all coaches in the stands the fans need to be patient. I can tell you Mills struggled mightily his two years and I am thankful we didn't throw in the towel and can him. Give this new guy a chance!

On a side note Dinwiddie is up 55-8 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Truly admire these two storied programs and fans. Praying for a good and safe game.
Amherst had a much tougher out of district schedule then too!

The elephant in the room is in your last statement, Sir!

Reactions: MrSir#5
That 07 team was nasty (I’ll argue a top 10 VHSL team all time) but 06 was my favorite Amherst team. They had so much speed. Alonzo Poe (if he was 3 inches taller, he would’ve been a sure bet NFL player), Jon Rose, Big Pipe McCoy (pause), Darrius Scruggs who took heads off, and one of the underrated legends of all time, Peter Rose. I was in middle school at the time and the Amherst program, admittedly, struck fear into us. I got a lot of respect for that program and hope they can bounce back.
They had good teams in that period. Would love to hear if Amherst fans think those teams were their best of all time because to even be in the discussion for a top 10 all time VHSL team I believe being the best Amherst team of all time would be a prerequisite.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
@lancerbob, you obviously know the Amherst program better than I, but Phillips was 77-43 from 2008-2017. His teams were 11-9 in the playoffs and they appeared in the playoffs in 9 of his 10 years. Granted 2013's appearance was a gift (3-8). Since his departure Amherst is 17-33. Let's hope the AD has gotten it right this time.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
@lancerbob, you obviously know the Amherst program better than I, but Phillips was 77-43 from 2008-2017. His teams were 11-9 in the playoffs and they appeared in the playoffs in 9 of his 10 years. Granted 2013's appearance was a gift (3-8). Since his departure Amherst is 17-33. Let's hope the AD has gotten it right this time.
Philip success was only because of the talent Abell left him. An he screwed it up if they had hired from Abell's staff an they where interested. The team especially the 2 years after Abell left would had been the team to beat. Granted they where the team to be with Philip. But his first two years had so much talent an he dropped the ball.

Then the administration just kept hiring worse. I'm hopeful about the new coach he looks very promising.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT