ADVERTISEMENT

An educational read.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
The link below is to an article originally published in the Roanoke Times, and published in today's Richmond Times Dispatch. The author is Sarah Gregory.

Though this article is not necessarily about high school athletics, a direct correlation can be realized.

It is a lengthy article, but well worth your time to read. If you are from Southwest or Southside Virginia, there is nothing in this story that you are not painfully aware of already.

I bring it to everyone's attention only so that those of us that live in communities that, though we may not be affuant, can be reminded of how dire it is for many of our brethren around the state. All I ask is that you find understanding and sympathy in your heart, and say a prayer from time to time for those that could sure use a little Devine assistance.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/article_68a948c7-0c8f-5f8e-9c20-2e113a6aa505.html

Thanks for posting this, Dinwiddie. A grim read, but informative.

I'm not sure why so little attention is paid to the struggles of the many communities described in the article. Although, I do have a theory. Most of the people in these areas are used to being self reliant. There is a pride that runs through these families that trumps asking for help. I think it is the reverse of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". If you don't complain loud and long, you will most likely be ignored.

Reactions: Gen54
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT