ADVERTISEMENT

Any Lord Botetourt fans here?

I'm a LB Fan, what ? do you have. I may be able to answer it.
thx, do yall take the dogs out when yall get up? just asking? never been to a LB game. I just know the score being super high in recent years vs. subpar teams. Now if u doing it withe the reserves in, so be it. Im all for it, but when exactly do ya take dogs out? I called Rustburg coach an idiot for doing it vs tunstall early in season (up 40 points with 5 minutes left?) i will say same about Bradley at Heritage. He did the same at William Campbell. dude would be up 50-0 and still crush teams with starters. smh, no respect and my sons would never play for a coach like that.

My son is a starter and was out before the end of second quarter and didn't come back.. Starters were replaced. The second string QB and third team QB ( freshman) all played second half. Everyone played. Second and Thirds at positions with that depth. We have some young dogs, so calling off the dogs being the starters definitely happens. We do have Seniors who are on second team, so not all are young,. But they all get plently of game time until thirds come in. The same held true with our first game.
Last game was 31-21, so not as much of second team, but some were in at spots. I don't think this is what your referring to as idiot coaching as you witnessed with the last team just putting up points with their starters in the game during secomd half.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
BTW, I have much respect of what Appomattox has done and the Head Coach gets lots of respect from me from what I know of him and have heard from him in his interviews. One of my college roommates is from Appomattox and runs the John Deere Farm Store and one of the managers where I work also lives there. I was cheering y'all on last year and have seen what y'all having been doing so far this year. Gook Luck this season!

My son is a starter and was out before the end of second quarter and didn't come back.. Starters were replaced. The second string QB and third team QB ( freshman) all played second half. Everyone played. Second and Thirds at positions with that depth. We have some young dogs, so calling off the dogs being the starters definitely happens. We do have Seniors who are on second team, so not all are young,. But they all get plently of game time until thirds come in. The same held true with our first game.
Last game was 31-21, so not as much of second team, but some were in at spots. I don't think this is what your referring to as idiot coaching as you witnessed with the last team just putting up points with their starters in the game during secomd half.
Hey street, you have a class act in Coach Harless. Sometimes people see his intensity as something other than what it really is. I know you already know this, but teaching life's lessons through sports is what Coach Harless is all about.

When you have an extrodinary program like LB, even your 2's and 3's are usually very good. And, when they get in the game they want to prove themselves. So the score gets even more lopsided.

Reactions: 1street
BTW, I have much respect of what Appomattox has done and the Head Coach gets lots of respect from me from what I know of him and have heard from him in his interviews. One of my college roommates is from Appomattox and runs the John Deere Farm Store and one of the managers where I work also lives there. I was cheering y'all on last year and have seen what y'all having been doing so far this year. Gook Luck this season!
thanks for the added fan base. yes! coach smith is a great guy that lives out what u see. i am blessed to know him personally and him coaching my son (whom is graduated now). he provides great leadership to a team that lacked it 5 years ago.
thanks for answering the questions about LB. if that is the case, i got mad respect. if i pull dogs out and my 2s and 3s are still smashing ya 1st team D, well.........*shrugs shoulders *

DP you are so right about Coach Harless being a very intense coach who cares about building more in these young men than just what you see on the field. I think all the players want Coach Harless to be proud of them and what they're doing out of respect for him and what he has taught them. I can tell that you're familiar with him because that's spot on.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
We have had a few conversations. It didn't take long for me to appreciate how good of a man he is. The LB community is very fortunate to have him mentoring and influencing their kids. And oh yeah, he is a hell of a good coach, too.

Another little tid bit. Coach Billy Mills likes and respects Coach Harless. That's all of the reason I need to know, to give him my respect.

I agree if a coach leaves starters in to run up the score that is not good business. I haven't meet Coach Harless, so I can't speak to him or his program. The only game I saw LB play was close and running the score up wasn't an option. Most coaches put in subs when the clock starts running (up 35 pts in 2nd half) as a way to rest starters but more importantly to reward the non-starters for practicing hard during the week. Bradley hasn't done this on numerous occasions, Baker didn't do it once, Christmas has been known to run the score up often, Woody & Scharnus as well. I guess all these coaches are "idiots"? Or are they some of the greatest coaches in this area? I guess it is a matter of opinion.

I agree if a coach leaves starters in to run up the score that is not good business. I haven't meet Coach Harless, so I can't speak to him or his program. The only game I saw LB play was close and running the score up wasn't an option. Most coaches put in subs when the clock starts running (up 35 pts in 2nd half) as a way to rest starters but more importantly to reward the non-starters for practicing hard during the week. Bradley hasn't done this on numerous occasions, Baker didn't do it once, Christmas has been known to run the score up often, Woody & Scharnus as well. I guess all these coaches are "idiots"? Or are they some of the greatest coaches in this area? I guess it is a matter of opinion.
Funny u said that. You dang right, i stand by it Tigger the tiger! they are all idiots! i had a long in depth convo with 2 coaches today that brought up Christmas doing it and Bradley doing it at W.C. Yep, I talked trash about our JV coach last year we got from Altavista about him running score up with 9-1 team. i got frowns for voicing my opinion, i dont give a crap. Never played Woody, but if he did it, he is a idiot as well! Baker?

Last edited:
Baker...Jack Baker...Rustburg's HC... Wow, you called the man an idiot (on several occasions), said the Appomattox/Rustburg game was a huge rivalry and didn't know his name?!?! How many state titles do those "idiot" coaches have?
If I were Coach Smith I think I would have a problem with you standing on my sideline for every game cheering on the team then getting on social media blasting the running game (" What irritated me the most is our run game has been non existent.") & play calling ("I think we should have passed more.") Or standing on the sideline representing everything Smith has worked for the last 5 years & getting on social media and calling other coaches "idiots" when you don't know them.
I guess my other problem with your post is I can never tell what is a fact, your opinion, or just totally made up. I looked for rosters and coaches on Maxpreps.com for the time Smith has been a HC in Appomattox & I didn't see anyone with your same last name. I did see one in 2010 (when Smith wasn't in Appomattox) but that could be a coincidence or just kin. I know how small towns can be with last names sometimes. Or maybe max preps is wrong.

Baker...Jack Baker...Rustburg's HC... Wow, you called the man an idiot (on several occasions), said the Appomattox/Rustburg game was a huge rivalry and didn't know his name?!?! How many state titles do those "idiot" coaches have?
If I were Coach Smith I think I would have a problem with you standing on my sideline for every game cheering on the team then getting on social media blasting the running game (" What irritated me the most is our run game has been non existent.") & play calling ("I think we should have passed more.") Or standing on the sideline representing everything Smith has worked for the last 5 years & getting on social media and calling other coaches "idiots" when you don't know them.
I guess my other problem with your post is I can never tell what is a fact, your opinion, or just totally made up. I looked for rosters and coaches on Maxpreps.com for the time Smith has been a HC in Appomattox & I didn't see anyone with your same last name. I did see one in 2010 (when Smith wasn't in Appomattox) but that could be a coincidence or just kin. I know how small towns can be with last names sometimes. Or maybe max preps is wrong.

Hey Tigger tha Tiger, first I want to say I lived away from Appomattox over a decade and I dont know the names of some of these coaches around the area. So I thank you for informing me that his name is Jack Baker. I stand by what I said, if a coach is leaving the dogs in when score is 49-7 with 8 minutes left in game, yep he is an idiot. I could care less about his state championships. Its about the kid's health and him potentially playing at the next level. If my son ever played for them coaches mentioned, he would be hearing it from me as a parent and he would be going to a different school as well. So go eat on a shoe and quit asking me the same question over and over.

I have a great relationship with Coach Smith and I talk to him often. SO WHAT i questioned about coach smith playing too conservative? Im a fan! I never dog Smith, NEVER, but saying that he might have passed more or ran less does is not dogging his calling out, its just a matter of opinion tigger.

Your quote: "I guess my other problem with your post is I can never tell what is a fact, your opinion, or just totally made up."
I need an example please??

Tigger, I have already explained to you one time not too long ago. I AM NOT A COACH, NOR HAVE EVER BEEN ONE! How do you know my last name anyway? There has not been a coach on the staff with my last name in recent years either. I know all the coaches and most of them I know personally. So stop prying, you wont find me associated to the Raiders other than a fan in the stands on Friday night.

Whatever dude. I countered your opinion with mine and you counter with go eat a shoe. Big man. I never said you were a coach, I did say you were on the sidelines not in the stands. I never said your last name was the same as a coach, I did say your son never played for smith as you say. Need more examples?

I looked for rosters and coaches on Maxpreps.com for the time Smith has been a HC in Appomattox & I didn't see anyone with your same last name. I did see one in 2010 (when Smith wasn't in Appomattox) but that could be a coincidence or just kin.

you saying you know my last name. here is your quote.
yes my son played for him and im glad he had a coach like him.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I have a hard time calling any coach an idiot without personally knowing them. Whether a great win/loss record or not, all coaches sacrifice time away from family or even their own self in order to coach. Some sacrifice more than others but there is sacrifice in the job and I know it comes with the territory but do you think any coach calls plays to lose, hindsight is always 20/20 and I challenge any of the posters that are not coaches to call plays and deal with everything during the game, I challenge myself as well as to which I say you can have it. Everyone is BIG talk behind the keyboard but face to face convos when actually calling people out of their name I don't think anyone would do, so why do it on the internet. Coaches sacrifice.....I will leave it at that!

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I have a hard time calling any coach an idiot without personally knowing them. Whether a great win/loss record or not, all coaches sacrifice time away from family or even their own self in order to coach. Some sacrifice more than others but there is sacrifice in the job and I know it comes with the territory but do you think any coach calls plays to lose, hindsight is always 20/20 and I challenge any of the posters that are not coaches to call plays and deal with everything during the game, I challenge myself as well as to which I say you can have it. Everyone is BIG talk behind the keyboard but face to face convos when actually calling people out of their name I don't think anyone would do, so why do it on the internet. Coaches sacrifice.....I will leave it at that!
For one, I didnt ask anyone to agree with me. I will tell you this, if my son was on a team that has 45-0 lead and going into the fourth qtr (or 3rd depending on team). That coach would be called or visited by me. If he did it again, more than likely I would call him an idiot with all 10 of his fingers laced with state championship rings. You saying I got computer behind the screen keyboard muscles, I disagree. Sometimes things need to be said. Why do I gotta know the coach personally before I call him an idiot for having all the dogs in and spanking someone by 45???? WHY??? He showing me his character right there and that is enough for me to know about him without even saying hello for the 1st time. Your from Appo and I ask you to have this convo with me face to face and we can get more in depth with it. Im pretty sure you know who I am.

Well Advocate definitely has a pet peave. It's not going to change no matter what is said. Some coaches are going to run up the score, period. They can't help themselves. Some of the best big time coaches have equally big time egos. There are others that are trying to teach their team something like staying agressive the whole game no matter what. It's very difficult to know what the coach is thinking and to assign them as "idiots". On the other side you have an expectation that a team show sportsmanship. Not running up the score fits somewhere in there. My pet peave is players that do not shake hands after the competition is over with the opposing coaches and players. Some players refuse to shake hands and some coaches allow that. Having said that every coach has his own style. It makes things interesting. There will always be the "Oakland Raiders" in every sport.

Well Advocate definitely has a pet peave. It's not going to change no matter what is said. Some coaches are going to run up the score, period. They can't help themselves. Some of the best big time coaches have equally big time egos. There are others that are trying to teach their team something like staying agressive the whole game no matter what. It's very difficult to know what the coach is thinking and to assign them as "idiots". On the other side you have an expectation that a team show sportsmanship. Not running up the score fits somewhere in there. My pet peave is players that do not shake hands after the competition is over with the opposing coaches and players. Some players refuse to shake hands and some coaches allow that. Having said that every coach has his own style. It makes things interesting. There will always be the "Oakland Raiders" in every sport.
i see the hand shaking stuff happen in basketball a lot more than football

For one, I didnt ask anyone to agree with me. I will tell you this, if my son was on a team that has 45-0 lead and going into the fourth qtr (or 3rd depending on team). That coach would be called or visited by me. If he did it again, more than likely I would call him an idiot with all 10 of his fingers laced with state championship rings. You saying I got computer behind the screen keyboard muscles, I disagree. Sometimes things need to be said. Why do I gotta know the coach personally before I call him an idiot for having all the dogs in and spanking someone by 45???? WHY??? He showing me his character right there and that is enough for me to know about him without even saying hello for the 1st time. Your from Appo and I ask you to have this convo with me face to face and we can get more in depth with it. Im pretty sure you know who I am.

No clue who you are and pretty positive you don't know me. The board is for opinions whether people agree or not. I don't believe that for a second you would go face to face and call another man an idiot, that says a lot about your character as well. It doesn't matter what I think but coaches deserve a break, if you coach long enough, the score will get out of hand in your favor and against you, whether intentional or not. Good luck to the Raiders, they are sure to make a deep run again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT