ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know??

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
Anyone know if they are planning to cross brackets for the semi finals again this year.

They didn't last year but I know they had in some years prior.

Anyone know if they are planning to cross brackets for the semi finals again this year.

They didn't last year but I know they had in some years prior.
Pretty sure it is same format as last year

Same as last year, winner of C and D semi final plays winner of A and B semi for State Championship.

I just looked it up a week or so ago on vhsl web site to make sure I was thinking correctly and figuring some scenarios properly.

The way it's looking, based on power points, D will be traveling to C unless it ends up being Ridgeview/Appo or Ridgeview/Radford (assuming Radford loses to Glenvar) in semis.

Doesn't look like Union or Graham will be out pointing anybody.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
Will gladly make the trip to Ridgeview!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

I hear it would be more of a drive for us than it was to Union!!!

I can only hope to make it that far. Lots of work to be done, wrinkles to be ironed out, and maturing that needs to happen for these young Raiders first.
Been super please with how they have done so far this year!

Time wise, probably about the same. It would just be a different route, and a lot more curves!

Reactions: Bo Bob
Brother!!!! Still remember leaving and driving for an hour and coming out on 81 in Bristol Tenn at 9 something at night!!!!!
What a beautiful drive up there though. Reminded me of my home area in PA. Coal mines towns and hillsides! (it ain't all pavement above the Mason Dixion in case some are wondering):D:D:D

Looking at points if Appo makes it to semi, nobody in D will outpoint Appo so Appo will play semi final at home.

Looking at points if Appo makes it to semi, nobody in D will outpoint Appo so Appo will play semi final at home.
Ridgeview is assured of 264 pts. They will finish with a 26.4 rating. Appo has 200 now + 24 for Altavista + 2 for DR/Gretna + 2 for WC/Chatham. That makes 228. Add all possible bonus points to that 2 for Buckingham, 2 for Rustburg, 2 for Heritage and 2 for Colonial Heights. That makes 236 maximum. Dividing that by a 9 game schedule gives you 26.2. Just shy of Ridgeview.

Ridgeview would be the only D team that can out point Appomattox if both are Region champs.

VHSL Helper did post 222, but he multiplied Appo's current 200 by 1.11 because they play a 9 game schedule. If you go by his numbers and divide by 10 that still comes out to 26.2
Thankyou for the link, it does look like I was wrong. Why would he have used a multiplier?

Reactions: Union_Fan
Thankyou for the link, it does look like I was wrong. Why would he have used a multiplier?
Instead of taking points and dividing by 9, he multiplies by 1.11 and divides by 10 so that you can compare apples to apples.

Appo has 200 pts right now and Radford has 227, but Appo is missing a game, so it looks like Radford is way ahead. If you multiple the 200 by 1.11, to make up for the missing game, it gives you 222. Now it shows more accurately that Radford/Appo are neck and neck in the points race.

It works out to be the same in the end no matter which way you do it (multiplier or not), but prior to that it's easier to compare point totals without relying on the rating.

I'll have to sit with paper and pencil to get this right in my head. Also now wonder how hawk had Appo finishing at 26.555 also. Again thanks for correcting me .

Reactions: Union_Fan
5 hours from here 260+ miles.
If they (Ridgeview) win their way in I hope we get to make that ride.
Lots to be done and improved upon before that though.

I think the cross bracket gives you a better chance of having your two best teams face off for the title.

In 2015 Union went to Clarke County and Clark County won. Buffalo Gap came to Appo and the Raiders won. That pitted an East vs. West for the title.

In 2016 Richlands went Stuarts Draft and won, Goochlands came to Appo and Appo won. That made a West vs. West title.

Last year it was East vs West but only because there was no chance for anything else.

I see some anomalies in the way vhsl has assigned some points. Example of being points assigned from a win over chatam etc. I have reviewed the system on the vhsl website and frankly their verbiage i am kinda perplexed. To me it looks like Ap[po was given points as if chatam was a 1a team but at same time an extremely high amount of what i believe to be bonus points for them. There fore i am totally confused now. Soooo i'll say this only, it is what it is and i;ll keep my dumb country bumpkin mouth shut.

I see some anomalies in the way vhsl has assigned some points. Example of being points assigned from a win over chatam etc. I have reviewed the system on the vhsl website and frankly their verbiage i am kinda perplexed. To me it looks like Ap[po was given points as if chatam was a 1a team but at same time an extremely high amount of what i believe to be bonus points for them. There fore i am totally confused now. Soooo i'll say this only, it is what it is and i;ll keep my dumb country bumpkin mouth shut.

Was Appomattox and Chatham Week 7? If so, then they have it exactly correct, maybe you were looking at it incorrectly.

For a win against a 2a team, you get 18 points, and 2 points for everyone of their wins. So 18 W 2 is correct. For a loss to a 2a team, you get 6 and 1 point for each of their wins

Look man and hear what I'm sayin, forget about this point and that point and the west. Why waste some time with all all that. The state title is Glenvar against the Raiders. Those boys play in Salem and gonna scuffle up hard, but check this out, it's game 3 of the playoffs. Anyone an all of em which travel to Salem 2 weeks later is late for the party. Appo is still hungry an bout to feed.

I like the East vs West brackets myself. It saves a ton in travel expense as well as more fans are likely to attend the game not having to drive such a long distance. The cross bracketing may give you the best two team one year but not the next.

Reactions: islandersfan
This appo guy has been trolling all over the forums. Most have been ignoring his posts and he slithers off back to his mommas basement.

Reactions: Stabler1980
yeah i'm 59 years old now, dont have a dog in the fight. Have come to love the raiders for many many reasons but mainly due to their ethics and willingness to help anyone and i mean anyone in their community. Hell i dont even live in Appomattox.

i need to appologuze to all reall appo fans. Appo3 got under my skin and i reacted in a way not normarl for me. Instead i should be asking to to meet himn and have sit doen and discuss our differences. So yes i have done wrong, so i ask to meet with appo3 and let us discuss our differencdes. Really i like his enthusiasm but dislike his way of stating it it.

i need to appologuze to all reall appo fans. Appo3 got under my skin and i reacted in a way not normarl for me. Instead i should be asking to to meet himn and have sit doen and discuss our differences. So yes i have done wrong, so i ask to meet with appo3 and let us discuss our differencdes. Really i like his enthusiasm but dislike his way of stating it it.

Apology accepted

I like the East vs West brackets myself. It saves a ton in travel expense as well as more fans are likely to attend the game not having to drive such a long distance. The cross bracketing may give you the best two team one year but not the next.
You can still drive long distances. Last year Appo had to take a 5 hour ride to Union and them to us the year prior.
But I do get what you are saying.

Some need a grain of salt some need an ocean of salt.
Stay true to Raider fashion oldfool.

Last edited:
You are a good poster oldfool, stay cool and ignore.

Look man and hear what I'm sayin, forget about this point and that point and the west. Why waste some time with all all that. The state title is Glenvar against the Raiders. Those boys play in Salem and gonna scuffle up hard, but check this out, it's game 3 of the playoffs. Anyone an all of em which travel to Salem 2 weeks later is late for the party. Appo is still hungry an bout to feed.

So...you were wrong. Appo Glenvar will happen in week 2....

So is that still the state title game then? Or is it really week 3 when y’all travel to Radford now? Assuming you get by Glenvar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT