ADVERTISEMENT

Appo and Radford

If we get into a close game with Appo, we are in big trouble. If Radford wins, it will be by more than 10 points because Ive seen this bunch and Smith for far too long. You aren't beating them in the playoffs in a close contest. I think that holds true for anyone they play including Graham, Union, and the rest. If u are gonna best them, better be up by 14 or so like Graham with 5 or 6 minutes left or Appo will seal the deal.

A great game in Raddy this weekend. Looking forward to it. Another great game is down near the coast with King William traveling to "Bull Island" otherwise known as Poquoson. Much talk about Central, Big Red, Raddy, Union, Graham, Appo, but guys these 2 down down east are good enough to win a state title and are right in the mix with all the others mentioned.

Can Radford hold the Appo offense to under 20 points. Historically Radford has scored against the Raiders but struggles to slow them down. 38, 56, 41 points allowed in the last 3 meetings. I think it comes down to preparation in stopping the veer offense that Appo always seems to execute regardless of personnel.

Reactions: RadfordCat
If we get into a close game with Appo, we are in big trouble. If Radford wins, it will be by more than 10 points because Ive seen this bunch and Smith for far too long. You aren't beating them in the playoffs in a close contest. I think that holds true for anyone they play including Graham, Union, and the rest. If u are gonna best them, better be up by 14 or so like Graham with 5 or 6 minutes left or Appo will seal the deal.

A great game in Raddy this weekend. Looking forward to it. Another great game is down near the coast with King William traveling to "Bull Island" otherwise known as Poquoson. Much talk about Central, Big Red, Raddy, Union, Graham, Appo, but guys these 2 down down east are good enough to win a state title and are right in the mix with all the others mentioned.
Every keeps talking about the raiders and the coaching but in my opinion radford has very good coaching in their on right Coaching might might a adjustments during the game but as a general rule its the players who win the game.Thats where Radford has a big advantage ov er Appo...............

Can Radford hold the Appo offense to under 20 points. Historically Radford has scored against the Raiders but struggles to slow them down. 38, 56, 41 points allowed in the last 3 meetings. I think it comes down to preparation in stopping the veer offense that Appo always seems to execute regardless of personnel.
I think this is it exactly. there is a new defensive scheme for Radford and can it stop the veer. Appo changed QBs mid season and it has helped along with playing lesser opponents. Last year, Radford was a stop away from getting the ball back with a chance to win. They came back and made it closer but not enough. I think Radford is better this year on both sides of the ball than they were last year. I'm hoping it is enough.

Every keeps talking about the raiders and the coaching but in my opinion radford has very good coaching in their on right Coaching might might a adjustments during the game but as a general rule its the players who win the game.Thats where Radford has a big advantage ov er Appo...............
I agree that Coach Crist and his staff have done an amazing job this year. I support them and believe in their ability to plan and prepare the team for a big game. However, I don't think Radford has a talent advantage over Appo. We may have one of the best players in the state but the Raiders have plenty of great athletes playing as well.

Coach Smith and the Appomattox Raiders have earned all the praise and accolades they receive. They know how to win and bring it when it counts the most. This should be a great game but I have hard time giving either side any real advantage. Could be a classic.

So I got it now ! Krazy you are a Gretna fan , no wonder you don’t love the raiders after all these years of whooping and you win one this year and all is magic , man I hoping that region final works out .

I said i pull for gretna most of the time.IM actually a brookville fan.That said i guess you have forgotten all those butt whippings that gretna gave you beloved raiders back in the vic hall days. NUF SAID...........

Reactions: Stabler1980
I said i pull for gretna most of the time.IM actually a brookville fan.That said i guess you have forgotten all those butt whippings that gretna gave you beloved raiders back in the vic hall days. NUF SAID...........
I followed Vic hall all the way thru and at uva was a huge fan I remember going up to Liberty high school and watching a great game so I am definitely a fan , back then was some awesome high school football nobody had a easy night!

Reactions: Fairlawncat
I followed Vic hall all the way thru and at uva was a huge fan I remember going up to Liberty high school and watching a great game so I am definitely a fan , back then was some awesome high school football nobody had a easy night!
You know Christiansburg back in the day gave them a great game. One of my high school football games of all time.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Have you ever coached or played? What you’re saying is Radford’s players will win the game for Radford ; their advantage is having better players? Coaches need not bother with adjustments as a general rule. I just want to make sure I’m understanding you correctly.

Have you ever coached or played? What you’re saying is Radford’s players will win the game for Radford ; their advantage is having better players? Coaches need not bother with adjustments as a general rule. I just want to make sure I’m understanding you correctly.
To answer the question, yes i have played but most sureely have never coached.Sure adjustments are made and need to be made during any ball game .But 905 of the time the team with the most talent will win out.Not always, but i will take those odds and day.

To answer the question, yes i have played but most sureely have never coached.Sure adjustments are made and need to be made during any ball game .But 905 of the time the team with the most talent will win out.Not always, but i will take those odds and day.
90%

When is the kickoff for this game? Sorry if its already been posted. I missed it

If it’s an overwhelming disparity in talent, then yes. If it’s just a little difference then best coaching wins out for sure! Play calling, adjustments will win if the talent gap isn’t gigantic.

Reactions: Bo Bob
If the more talented team won 90% of the time, then Buckingham, Central Lunenberg, Martinsville, Dan River and Southampton would have a whole lot of titles in the modern era and Poquoson wouldn't win over 4 games per year for the past 15 years under Coach Duty.

There's a huge difference in Talent and Good Football Players. Talent is mostly something you are born with. Being a good football player is something that is mostly Coached. Ask Riverheads and Essex about the difference in the two. Both understand it very well.

If it’s an overwhelming disparity in talent, then yes. If it’s just a little difference then best coaching wins out for sure! Play calling, adjustments will win if the talent gap isn’t gigantic.
Sounds like you are picking the raiders on friday night?Time will tell us soon enough....

Sounds like you are picking the raiders on friday night?Time will tell us soon enough....
I don’t think post picked either in my comment. I know Crist from his SWD days, he must have a great staff of assistants at Radford. Kudos for him surrounding himself with quality help. Good luck to both! Either way, I’ll be cheering for whatever team comes out of D to take on whomever comes out of C.

If the more talented team won 90% of the time, then Buckingham, Central Lunenberg, Martinsville, Dan River and Southampton would have a whole lot of titles in the modern era and Poquoson wouldn't win over 4 games per year for the past 15 years under Coach Duty.

There's a huge difference in Talent and Good Football Players. Talent is mostly something you are born with. Being a good football player is something that is mostly Coached. Ask Riverheads and Essex about the difference in the two. Both understand it very well.
Great point, talent is different than a good football player. I’ve seen many talented players never reach their potential because of work ethic. Give me a hard worker that’s coachable any day! You get enough of those you can build a solid program without natural talent all over the field.

GAME DAY ! Good luck to all in the playoffs tonight and tomorrow, praying for no injuries and everyone who will be traveling to games, a lot of us have been on here along time and pull there home team so be nice if you come up on the short end and remember it’s just some kids playing a game they love ! Peace to all
I have always sat back and observed the conversations. I am from Big Stone Gap and love Union football. I am with you, Stabler. Let the kids play and see where the chips fall. The fun part at this time of the year is the unknown.

We travelled to Clarke County back in 2015 and thought we had a good chance. Following the thumping we took I couldn't but admire the young men from Clarke County who were beefed up, strong! That's when your coaching staff tells your players, "boys, it's time to hit the weight room." No excuses, we got beat by a better team.

Ditto to Stabler1980, good luck to all the teams this weekend. May the best teams win!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT