ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Clarke

Feb 13, 2007
There is a little bit of play off history here...the teams met in both 2008 and 2009. 2008 Appomattox made the trip up to Clarke (3v2) and Clarke held on to win 27-19. 09 was almost an identical situation with Appomattox traveling to a 10-0 Clarke team, Appomattox won the rematch 42-28. Both years the winners season was ended by Gretna. Luckily that's not the case this time, the winner gets hoist that trophy. So what are everyone's thoughts on this tiebreaker?

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
There is a little bit of play off history here...the teams met in both 2008 and 2009. 2008 Appomattox made the trip up to Clarke (3v2) and Clarke held on to win 27-19. 09 was almost an identical situation with Appomattox traveling to a 10-0 Clarke team, Appomattox won the rematch 42-28. Both years the winners season was ended by Gretna. Luckily that's not the case this time, the winner gets hoist that trophy. So what are everyone's thoughts on this tiebreaker?

Let's see...basing this COMPLETELY on historical reference.....2015 is an odd year, so Appomattox gets the nod. But...since this is the 3rd meeting, it's actually Clarke's turn to win, so Clarke gets the nod. How's that for an answer? :D

Let's see...basing this COMPLETELY on historical reference.....2015 is an odd year, so Appomattox gets the nod. But...since this is the 3rd meeting, it's actually Clarke's turn to win, so Clarke gets the nod. How's that for an answer? :D
I will take that answer, and hopefully the outcome! I'm curious if Appomattox still runs the midline read/triple option or have they gone full on spread?

FROM APPOMATTOX A.D., got this from Appomattox Facebook page:

THE MESSAGE IS FROM A.D. FROM APPOMATTOX HIGH:

The following is information about the State Championship football game being held on Saturday Dec. 12th.

Information for the 2A State Championship Football Game on Dec. 12th
Game time: 4:30 p.m.
Site: Salem Stadium, 1008 Texas St. Salem, Va. 24153

Since ACHS is the higher seed we will be considered the home team. Fans will need to sit on the West side of the stadium.

Due to this being a VHSL Championship game the ticket price is $10.00. This price is set by the VHSL. Only VHSL sanctioned passes will be accepted. See list below.
Approved pass list: VHSL coaches pass, VHSCA, VIAAA, VATA, VSBA, PRINCIPALS VHSL MEMBERSHIP CARDS.

VHSL guidelines for State Playoff games have a strict NO RE-ENTRY policy. If you have to leave the stadium before the game is completed you will not be able to re-enter even with a VHSL approved pass.

ACHS is attempting to have a fan bus (buses if demand is high) to take people to and from the game. The cost is $15.00. This will include the bus and a pre-sale ticket to the game. The bus (buses) will leave ACHS at 1:00 p.m. from the bus loop. The bus (buses) will start to return to ACHS approximately 1½ hours after the game is finished.
**APS, AES and AMS students who wish to ride the fan bus must be accompanied by a parent/guardian**

All Pre-sale tickets (fan bus & game only) will be available on Thursday Dec. 10th and Friday Dec. 11th from 11:35 a.m. to 1:40 p.m. These can be purchased from the ACHS book keeper in the main office. This will help determine how many fan buses are needed.

The VHSL has allotted ACHS 1000 presale tickets, so first come first served. Once these are sold out tickets will only be able to be purchased at the ticket booth on game day.
****ACHS will receive a portion of the pre-sale ticket money from the VHSL****

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION COMES DIRECTLY FROM THE VHSL:
Championship Ceremonies and Post Game Procedures
-Only team personnel with appropriate passes will be allowed on the field.
-Schools are to make every effort to inform their fan base that only credentialed team personnel will be allowed on the field at any time. Any violation of this requirement is a Sportsmanship Violation at all VHSL events. Further unauthorized fans accessing the fields at any VHSL state event will be subject to arrest.
-The principal and athletic director are asked to take part in the awards ceremony.
-After a brief celebration and team handshake both teams are asked to lineup for the presentation of medals.
-The state runner-up will be announced first with individual medals awarded followed by the 2nd place trophy.
-The champions will follow the same procedure immediately after the runner-up awards are completed.
-Both teams and team members are expected to remain on the field until the conclusion of the post-game ceremony. Failure to do so will be considered a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation.
-Dumping of Ice and or water on our near the playing surface will be considered a sportsmanship violation and any damage done to the field as a result will be the responsibility of the offending school(s).
-Coaches and players will not conduct post-game interviews on the field.
-There is a designated area and process that must be followed regarding post-game interviews and again these are mandatory for team players and coaches.
-School administration may be required to help facilitate post game so that it does impact other events at the site.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call. Thank you and I look forward to seeing you there on Saturday.

Christopher M. Dodge
Assistant Principal/Athletic Director
Appomattox County High School
198 Evergreen Avenue
Appomattox, VA 24522
call_skype_logo.png
(434) 352-7146
Fax: (434) 352-0822
AD@acpsweb.com

I was at the 09 game.
09 was a weird one, I think there was a storm that pushed the game to a Saturday game...Clarke got down 21-7 and then went score for score. They had no answer for Kenny Scott and co. I hope this year has a different result.

It's always hard to predict how teams matchup when there is so much deception in the backfield. I remember watching Kenny Scott and Joe reed, and they had the read option down to a science, never knew where the ball was at. The winner will be the team who's defense is disciplined enough to make there reads and not get caught guessing.

I will take that answer, and hopefully the outcome! I'm curious if Appomattox still runs the midline read/triple option or have they gone full on spread?
Many have answered your question already. Appo runs a split back veer with spread mixed in. Coach Smith brought it from Heritage 4 years ago. I dont think there is 1 coach on staff from them years. Yes, there is a history with Clarke and Appo. Saturday we meet again.

Reactions: eagleball20
09 was a weird one, I think there was a storm that pushed the game to a Saturday game...Clarke got down 21-7 and then went score for score. They had no answer for Kenny Scott and co. I hope this year has a different result.

It's always hard to predict how teams matchup when there is so much deception in the backfield. I remember watching Kenny Scott and Joe reed, and they had the read option down to a science, never knew where the ball was at. The winner will be the team who's defense is disciplined enough to make there reads and not get caught guessing.

Kenny Scott went on to play at Liberty U. He graduated last year and chose to come help coach Smith out this year with secondary. He has been a benefit on the coaching staff and helping the guys on both sides of the ball. Great mentor! He pushes these kids mentally, physically, and spiritually.

Kenny Scott went on to play at Liberty U. He graduated last year and chose to come help coach Smith out this year with secondary. He has been a benefit on the coaching staff and helping the guys on both sides of the ball. Great mentor! He pushes these kids mentally, physically, and spiritually.
Nice to hear a kid who played a big part in building the Appo program is still able to contribute! He was an outstanding football player.

Both teams are giving up around 8 points a game so does everyone think it will be a low scoring game? The key for Clarke on offense will be to continue to run the ball. In their lone loss this year they were 14-22 in the passing game but have averaged less than 5 attempts per game in all of their victories. I am not familiar with Appomattox so I can't speak about them.

I personally don't think it will be low scoring, but what do you consider low scoring lol? from what it sounds like both teams can put points on the board.
Does anyone know the size of Appos line? Or how physical they are? Clarke no matter win or lose will be extremely physical, tough kids.
I know from a defensive side of things Casey Childs is a hell of a coach, he knows the game very well. He is also extremely good at making half time adjustments.

I will be at this one on Saturday. Thing is, I don't know who I'm rooting for. I think it'll be a historic win for either program.
Come on over and root for A C H S!!! Im so happy for this school regardless of what happens on Saturday.

I have said this before. We have had many great athletes go through them hallways and not once have we achieved a championship in the big 3 (Basketball, baseball, football). We have a 87 softball, golf 2014, and some track championships. SO......this will mean a lot to our town and the morale of the school.

That's one thing I love about this particular championship game, neither team has won a state championship in football before and like in other things in life, you never forget your 1st ! Of course i would love for my school to be playing for it, but since their not, it's nice to see it will be someone that has never won one before !
Good luck to both sides and enjoy it !

Faster, maybe, but no way they can be more physical. CC is more athletic than people think.
Why are you so sure that CC is more physical? I have seen both teams play and, while CC may be more athletic than people think, they are not nearly as athletic as Appomattox. I'm not affiliated with either team so that is strictly from a neutral observation. And as far as being more physical, ask the Richlands, Buckingham, Amherst, or any team they have played, how physical they are. That's not a cheap shot at any of those teams, but the fans of those teams have seen Appomattox in person and can offer their opinions. This Appomattox team is one of the most complete teams I have seen from the Lynchburg area in a long time.

Has Clark or Appomattox ever won a State Title in football?
We have never been to a title game in baseball, baseball, football. We won it in golf 2014 and softball 87'. We got a few track championships. THATS IT! This is very important to Appomattox!

Why are you so sure that CC is more physical? I have seen both teams play and, while CC may be more athletic than people think, they are not nearly as athletic as Appomattox. I'm not affiliated with either team so that is strictly from a neutral observation. And as far as being more physical, ask the Richlands, Buckingham, Amherst, or any team they have played, how physical they are. That's not a cheap shot at any of those teams, but the fans of those teams have seen Appomattox in person and can offer their opinions. This Appomattox team is one of the most complete teams I have seen from the Lynchburg area in a long time.
Definitely not saying CC is more physical, just saying that they are at this point because they are physical. 1 pass attempt in a state semi game vouches for that. On that note, Jeff Fisher and the STL Rams are physical. They stink. We all know there's more to it than that, that's why I think Appomattox wins.

How does one pass attempt prove they are physical ? All one pass attempt means is they do not have a balanced offense. I saw some team play this season that attempted only 2 passes and they were not physical at all.
I doubt if CC is any more physical than B Gap. Just because a team cannot throw ball does not mean they are physical.

Reactions: VolNation85
How does one pass attempt prove they are physical ? All one pass attempt means is they do not have a balanced offense. I saw some team play this season that attempted only 2 passes and they were not physical at all.
I doubt if CC is any more physical than B Gap. Just because a team cannot throw ball does not mean they are physical.
If you know I'm running every time and I still run it down your throat then that's just manning up. Deception in the backfield a factor but not to that extent. However, I will say Union's D was POORLY coached, 3 or 4 down lineman with deep safety and never adjusted.

I think deception is more of a factor than anything else.

But I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's boring football in my opinion. I rather see a 60 yard TD pass than a bunch of 4-5 yard runs that takes 8 minutes to score.

I like to watch long runs involving the whole team blocking rather than 2-3 players on a long pass.

One of my first rules in playing backyard football is no running which means I like the pass as much as anybody. With that being said seeing Clarkes lineman blocking 30 and 40 yards downfield is a thing of beauty. Clarke County has five ball carriers averaging over seven yards a carry. It should be a great game Saturday!

One of my first rules in playing backyard football is no running which means I like the pass as much as anybody. With that being said seeing Clarkes lineman blocking 30 and 40 yards downfield is a thing of beauty. Clarke County has five ball carriers averaging over seven yards a carry. It should be a great game Saturday!
Passing is fun to watch....because of the uncertainty....3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad....hr6 has been on here for years and everyone knows he hates running teams....but in high school football the team that runs it the best wins 90% of the time....I think I overestimated Richlands and union a bit....truth is long sustained drives can make teams impatient....I'll be pulling for the single wing to win it....thinking 28-21....hopefully all 3 of Appomattox sores are long bombs so hr6 is happy

I think the proof that they are a very physical teams is just what you said, they only had to pass once...in a state semi final game...and still scored 43 points. It does not mean they are unbalanced, it only shows that the other team could not stop what they do so there was no need to change. If BG was anywhere close to being as physical and strong as is CC, I doubt they would have been blown out. But we will see in a few days. If it is close by the 4th quarter, I think CC wins it. It is tough on a defense to be pounded on all day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT