ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Clarke

Key strength of the Appo defense is their quickness. Clarke had four or five runs where the Appo LB's and safety went the wrong way initially but recovered quickly and caught the Clarke runner just before he could break free. Against any other team Clarke has played in the playoffs, those are probably several TD runs.

Appo was the better team and deserved to win.

I was very impressed with the Appo D after the Richlands game, to hold that offense to 21 told me all I needed to know !
I agree. IMO, that was the State Championship game. I had said the winner of that game was going to win it all. The outcome probably would have been similar had it been Richlands playing tonight

Perhaps if I had seen Appomattox play at some point during the year, I may have been more of a believer. I'm still surprised that they handled Clarke's O line they way they did. I didn't watch the game nor listen to it on the radio. Maybe they were bigger, maybe they were stronger, maybe it was just the speed. In any event they got the job done. Hat's off to them!

I'm curious, can anyone tell me what defensive scheme Appomattox ran against the wing?

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Perhaps if I had seen Appomattox play at some point during the year, I may have been more of a believer. I'm still surprised that they handled Clarke's O line they way they did. I didn't watch the game nor listen to it on the radio. Maybe they were bigger, maybe they were stronger, maybe it was just the speed. In any event they got the job done. Hat's off to them!

I'm curious, can anyone tell me what defensive scheme Appomattox ran against the wing?
Swarming?

Appomattox runs a 3-4 with man to man coverage against everything and everyone. They are very sound in what they do so they don't change thier scheme much. They just do what they do and do it well. It also helps they have tremendous speed at every position on defense and love to fly to the ball. And no disrespect to Clarke but, they really were not all that strong or physical. Appomattox had thier way in the trenches all night long. I thought Richlands was far more physical than Clarke.

It wasn't so much Appo's defensive line, but their LB's that made the difference. Any hole created by Clarke's line, or any run around end which seemed to have space to run was quickly closed down by the LB's. Having seen Clarke play both Union and Appo, it was obvious the speed of Appo was a game changer.

The last 8 min it got crazy with 2 pick 6s and a great play by a receiver in the open field.
Clarke is strong. Believe that. Physical as well.
Ultimately speed kills. Appomattox had it all.

Had 11 athletes on defense that could fly. The game was much closer than the score indicated regardless of what anyone says here on this forum. Hats off to both teams for making it to the big one. Congrats to Appomattox for winning.
Even though Appomattox was in control most of the night, the score was pretty respectable until those two pic sixes late in the 4th.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
14-6 at start of 4th quarter. Clarke's defense played extremely well considering the differences in team speed, but unfortunately, offensive miscues gave up two easy scores and had the Clarke defense's back to the wall most of the 4th quarter.

Appo has the best team speed I've seen in a long time. Teams either have this sort of speed or they don't.

I said all week that Appomattox speed would be difference. There is no substitute for speed, no matter how strong a team is, or how many times they run the ball.

Reactions: VolNation85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT