ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Graham

I thought the refs threw too many flags.

Turning point of game was when Appomattox scored, got a defensive stop. With good field position. Pennix never touched the ball on that possession.

Has any Region C team ever lost to a team when they go west and the team in the west is the better team? I dont think they have. I've heard this from teams losing to Graham over the years from Rustburg and wet fields with Liberty due to officiating to William Campbell due to mud with Appo due to we shouldn't have kicked to Bradshaw and now mistakes were the only difference. Any chance you actually......just got beat to a better team?

Turnovers count. They are a part of the game. The difference was Grahams ability to run better than Appo for 4 quarters. Appo did that for 2 and a half qtrs, and then during the 4th quarter, Appo was worn down on the LOS and the QB was running for his life and the big runs had stopped. Graham was still getting 5 to 7 per carry for 4 quarters. When you rush for over 300 yards two years in a row, you are more than likely the better team. The difference was the same as last year. Graham has gashed Appo physically, on the ground, with over 300yds rushing each game.

Reactions: SWDRules
Seemed like they were having a lot of success letting grahams defensive line into the backfield and hitting them quick up the gut and letting grahams linebackers miss tackles/angles. Wonder why they went away from that?
Not sure man, I've ways run it until they stop it. They did start stacking the box I believe.

Reactions: eh31
I wandered if anyone noticed the blocked extra point on Graham's first score of second half. Coaches should have. When Appo jumped off they moved the ball to the 1 1/2 and the holder came up to about the 8 instead of 10. When Graham declined the penalty the holder never moved back and was only 5 yards back instead of 7. I seen this happening and new it was probably going get blocked as he didn't have the space needed to get it off

I wandered if anyone noticed the blocked extra point on Graham's first score of second half. Coaches should have. When Appo jumped off they moved the ball to the 1 1/2 and the holder came up to about the 8 instead of 10. When Graham declined the penalty the holder never moved back and was only 5 yards back instead of 7. I seen this happening and new it was probably going get blocked as he didn't have the space needed to get it off
I didn't see that hawk. If I'm Graham and I'm a running team and having success, when Appo jumps offsides on the extra points (I think they did it twice) I take the penalty and line up and go for two and make Appo stop me from the 1 and 1/2.

Has any Region C team ever lost to a team when they go west and the team in the west is the better team? I dont think they have. I've heard this from teams losing to Graham over the years from Rustburg and wet fields with Liberty due to officiating to William Campbell due to mud with Appo due to we shouldn't have kicked to Bradshaw and now mistakes were the only difference. Any chance you actually......just got beat to a better team?

Turnovers count. They are a part of the game. The difference was Grahams ability to run better than Appo for 4 quarters. Appo did that for 2 and a half qtrs, and then during the 4th quarter, Appo was worn down on the LOS and the QB was running for his life and the big runs had stopped. Graham was still getting 5 to 7 per carry for 4 quarters. When you rush for over 300 yards two years in a row, you are more than likely the better team. The difference was the same as last year. Graham has gashed Appo physically, on the ground, with over 300yds rushing each game.
So what’s you point! I haven’t seen one appo person on here say they were better than graham just making comments about the game so get over it if you don’t like it that’s what this board is for . I am sure the folks from graham know what my comments are about so the things you say have no meaning to the game these kids played today ! Again congrats to graham hopefully y’all can win one this year !

So what’s you point! I haven’t seen one appo person on here say they were better than graham just making comments about the game so get over it if you don’t like it that’s what this board is for . I am sure the folks from graham know what my comments are about so the things you say have no meaning to the game these kids played today ! Again congrats to graham hopefully y’all can win one this year !
He’s probably referencing Holy Frog (Appo Fan) saying Graham wasn’t the better team today which he has every right to his opinion some of us just disagree. All the kids played hard today from both teams and Appo certainly had a great season with a young team. I hope we get the opportunity to meet again in the future.

True, not one Appo person has said Appo was better than Graham, but also there hasn't been one that has said Graham was better than Appo last yr or this year when Graham has gashed you pretty good on the ground for over 300 yds each time. The two teams aren't "equal " You have lost 2 in a row to a better team, and it kills you to say that. So...chill out

Reactions: AnyGivenFriday1969
True, not one Appo person has said Appo was better than Graham, but also there hasn't been one that has said Graham was better than Appo last yr or this year when Graham has gashed you pretty good on the ground for over 300 yds each time. The two teams aren't "equal " You have lost 2 in a row to a better team, and it kills you to say that. So...chill out
Doesn’t kill me at all they were definitely better they won both games think that’s pretty clear . So move on !

"All kids played hard." No shit. Everyone knows that. "The coaches gave it their all." The fans cheered hard. That's great, no shit. Not a damn one of you has said Graham has been the better team this year or last year and that's a fact and that tells me you don't lose as graciously as you win. You talk about turnovers or kicking to Bradshaw as if those things don't count, and if you "take those away," the 2 teams are the same. Guess what, if you take away 14 pt win last year and 16 pt win this year, the two teams are the same. The better team doesn't turn it over 6 times. The better team doesn't kick to an honorable mention All American. That's part of being the better team and the team that isn't as good. Some of you Appo fans struggle with that.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. That's fair. But, I'm also entitled to mine.

Reactions: AnyGivenFriday1969
He’s probably referencing Holy Frog (Appo Fan) saying Graham wasn’t the better team today which he has every right to his opinion some of us just disagree. All the kids played hard today from both teams and Appo certainly had a great season with a young team. I hope we get the opportunity to meet again in the future.
Man that guy !

• Haha
Reactions: Gridiron1960
Not been on here for several years but follow it quite often. Cutting to the chase Graham was the better team this year and last. Our Raiders had their chances both years to win but didn't get it done. Regarding mental toughness, if you look at the record between Graham and Appo…the home team has always won with Graham leading the series 2-1. I think home field advantage makes a difference when both teams are well coached and closely matched..but not the only difference. I think that toughness ebbs and flows over the years with the talent level and confidence players have based on experience along with player depth. I know personally the kids from 2015-2017 were mentally tough and never questioned their ability and a lot of that had to do with experience and team depth. Appo’s depth has decreased every year since 2016. Not an excuse just explanation. We continue to have some great players come through like Pennix but the numbers overall of experienced players has decreased year after year , kind of a current demographic for Appo. This speaks to a good job of coaching to consistently be in the playoff mix. We have some good looking 8th graders and Freshman coming up to join current Sophomores and Juniors so we’ll put the puzzle together again and hopefully be back again. Both Appo and Graham have great programs and in their 3 matchups there has never been a blowout regardless of the final score. Both will be back next year but for now Good Luck to the G-Men next week.

Appomattox is a class act, from coaches to players. They play hard, play smart and they don't trash talk and play undisciplined like a lot of other teams. They are a program that other schools should try to emulate. They have built a great tradition over there. More important then any wins or losses is building character in those young men and I can tell by the way that they carry themselves on and off the field, that is what is happening over there.

Hated missing this game. My wife was listening to it and texting me almost play by play. The Raiders just made too many mistakes ( opening drive fumble, other fumble,...) and some where just bad luck,.. (the punt that bounced back to hit our player, the KO the looked like it was going out of bounds and made an incredible bounce left going straight to the gold line --I couldn't tell if our kid had to pick it up or if it would have carried into the endzone but,....)
Graham made plenty of penalties that the Raiders didn't make them pay for. I'm only watching the HUDL film and haven't finished the game yet but their RB is a problem for sure. And I think 56 made our line look JVish at times.

Two stellar programs for sure.

I know Gridiron we been on here a long time
Anybody that knows anything about football, knows graham was by far the better team. I have no dog in this fight, however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the answer to that question.................

Reactions: oxley70
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT