ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Graham

Gridiron1960

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 23, 2019
Bluefield VA
Rematch from last year!! If Appo’s passing game is as good as Ridgeview, GMen could be in trouble. Can Graham figure out what to do about Pennix? He’s a playmaker for sure! Should be an exciting game between two great teams!

It will be closer, last year the difference was Appomattox continued to kick to Gmen and Gmen refused to kick deep to Appomattox and it cost Appomattox as they gave up 2 TD's which was the difference in the game. It should be a good one.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Despite losing Bradshaw and Meadows. I think the overall lineplay of this year's Graham team is better on both sides of the ball and the offense is more balanced and has more weapons. This year, they are healthy, so no excuses if they get beat. May the best team win

It will be closer, last year the difference was Appomattox continued to kick to Gmen and Gmen refused to kick deep to Appomattox and it cost Appomattox as they gave up 2 TD's which was the difference in the game. It should be a good one.
It may be closer this year. I really don’t have a clue because Appo is Appo and you can never count them out. They find ways to win! Some things to consider though, Graham’s QB was playing with a broken leg last year and another defensive starter was out with a broken collarbone. The O Line & D Line are both stronger this year in my opinion. Graham has speed to burn so I’m not sure Appo wants to give them a short field. If Appo’s kicker can, I’d have him boot it into the end zone every time. I think a lot of people thought with the loss of Meadows & Bradshaw , Graham might not be quite as good. I think the GMen are actually a way more balanced team this year than last. If Graham has a bajillion penalties, they may beat themselves without Appo having to play their best game to win.

You can't assume Graham would not have scored if Appo would not have kicked to them. If Appo doesn't kick to Graham and Graham takes the out of bounds yardage, they may have simply drove the field and scored 4 or 5 minutes later and taken even more time off the clock. Kicking deep effected the game for certain, but dangerous to assume that if Appo doesn't kick deep, then they would have held Graham to a 3 and out and got the ball right back.

Reactions: Hburghokie
This will be a great game. I think it's close like last year and one team will pull away in the 4th qtr like last year and win by 10 to 17 points. I think it could be Appo or Graham. Either team has a chance. Turnovers and penalties will decide it.

Reactions: Stabler1980
With Graham undefeated have to give slight edge to them but never count Appo out. On another note some high level football being played around Lynchburg VA. EC Glass and Heritage both playing in D3 and D4 state semis. Haven't seen it confirmed but both will have more power points than opponents, Kettle Run and Christiansburg. So I am guessing both get to host and both play at City stadium in Lynchburg. If they both win then just mile up the road they both would play for state championship in Liberty at Lynchburg. Thirty minutes up 460 you have Appo in state semis. Then you have the three coaches, Woody, Bradley, and Smith which are three of the top coaches in the state. Would be awesome to see three state championships in the Lynchburg area as Appo is closest D2 school to Lynchburg.

With Graham undefeated have to give slight edge to them but never count Appo out. On another note some high level football being played around Lynchburg VA. EC Glass and Heritage both playing in D3 and D4 state semis. Haven't seen it confirmed but both will have more power points than opponents, Kettle Run and Christiansburg. So I am guessing both get to host and both play at City stadium in Lynchburg. If they both win then just mile up the road they both would play for state championship in Liberty at Lynchburg. Thirty minutes up 460 you have Appo in state semis. Then you have the three coaches, Woody, Bradley, and Smith which are three of the top coaches in the state. Would be awesome to see three state championships in the Lynchburg area as Appo is closest D2 school to Lynchburg.
The cream rises to the top.

You can't assume Graham would not have scored if Appo would not have kicked to them. If Appo doesn't kick to Graham and Graham takes the out of bounds yardage, they may have simply drove the field and scored 4 or 5 minutes later and taken even more time off the clock. Kicking deep effected the game for certain, but dangerous to assume that if Appo doesn't kick deep, then they would have held Graham to a 3 and out and got the ball right back.
I do agree but that assumption goes both ways. I thought we were going to be out matched big time last year but we were right there minus the kicks. Graham almost ran one back before they ran the two TD's. I was worried on the first TD but I definitely would not have kicked on the second one. Again this year Graham is favored but I do think we can make a game of it.

I agree with a lot of the comments BUT! Appo is peaking at the right time and have been road warriors this year taking out 5-1-3 seeds so I do think both teams will score and maybe score a lot in this one , Graham is definitely the favorite and the raiders will need to control the game and make it to the last few mins to have a chance for the upset. The raiders are so young only a few seniors that are playing but the big stage is nothing new for them.

Reactions: Kimosabe5
Gametime has been set at 2:00 on Saturday, December 3rd. Tickets will be sold on GoFan. No tickets will be sold at the gate. Safe travels to all. Kids 6 and under will be admitted free of charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppomattoxFan
Mr. Pennix and Mr. Copeland are valuable and imporant leaders for the younger Raiders on the field. They are also solid ballers. I'm excited to see what they do at Virginia Tech. The junior running back for Graham may move up to Pennix's recruiting level within the next few months. I understand he has 2 D1 offers, but the list is likely to sky rocket. I think he is at 2250 or 2300 yds on the season. For Appo, shutting him down first and foremost will be the key for the Raiders. Graham is going to throw the kitchen sink at Pennix. Their going to key on Pennix from start to finish and sell out the house on stopping him, and this is why Appo's QB running the ball will be key for the Raiders offensively.

I think it's a close game. I wrote this last year. Elevation is important. Appo is traveling from near sea level to over 3000 feet elevation (stadium elevation) and that is not easy if you aren't acclimated to it over a 3 or 4 day period. I'm with most everyone else on this one. Appomattox can certainlty win the football game, and so can Graham and this game will come down to turnovers. Both like to run it, so each team probably has limited offensive possessions, which makes turnovers even more critical because of the limited offensive possessions.

Each Teams Advantage. Graham-Elevation. It matters when you are doing some event or exercise that uses energy like a football contest, but isn't felt with normal routine activity (walking into the game, cheering as a fan). For Appomattox- Doug Smith. I read on another board that Doug Smith could have taken Radford's team and beat his by 3 scores, and he could have taken Glenvar's and beat his by 2 scores. I don't know how true it is, but one thing is for sure, Doug Smith is a weapon and advantage whenever Appo steps on the field.

Last edited:
Hhs plays at noon, Glass at 5…both games at city stadium

It wasn’t yesterday
Great. I watched the game on salems fb page. LCA needs to zoom in on the field so wstching them is no better than nfhs. Thought lynchburg schools was streaming games have they stopped?

Great. I watched the game on salems fb page. LCA needs to zoom in on the field so wstching them is no better than nfhs. Thought lynchburg schools was streaming games have they stopped?
Think so

For Appomattox- Doug Smith. I read on another board that Doug Smith could have taken Radford's team and beat his by 3 scores, and he could have taken Glenvar's and beat his by 2 scores. I don't know how true it is, but one thing is for sure, Doug Smith is a weapon and advantage whenever Appo steps on the field.
If anyone can figure out how to keep Clements from getting 400 yards & 7TDs, it’s Doug Smith. Unlike, RV, he’ll adjust his offense whatever Graham’s D does to stop his best player. I look forward to a great game! I hope Graham cleans up the penalities which I don’t usually say much about the officiating but it was pretty bad on Saturday. I think Graham comes ready and hopefully, wins!

I think Appomattox takes it this year. I believe the difference will be Graham's QB. I know the Graham QB last year was playing hurt but i think he was more of a leader and made smart plays. I think Appomattox sells out to stop the run and theyll have the athlete's to keep up most of the time. Im not saying the QB for Graham this year is bad, but i just don't think he's as poised as the QB from last year. Either team could take it, big plays, special teams and turnovers will decide it.

What I like about this year's Graham team is they can use the power run, or spread you out and throw it down the field. The short passing game has improved from last season also. Not many teams have had much success running against Graham this year. If Appomattox can slow down Grahams running game and have a decent passing attack, they have a good chance. Glenvar appeared to run the ball pretty well against Appo, but they mixed in some good passes too. I feel like Graham will be able to move the ball on the ground, from what I have seen from both. But you never know until they match up on the field. Hoping for good weather and safe travel for the Appomattox fans. Hoping for a good, injury free game and may the best team win.

Top notch field and among the best venues in the country for High School Football. It's an old WW2 time frame stadium that has had modern upgrades from handicapped seating which is about as good as you will find for a High School stadium to handrails, etc. Just a cool place to watch a High School game.

I really think this is Coach Smith and staff's finest year for bringing along young talent. Overall they are not as talented as teams of years past but here there are playing for the chance to go to Salem. I will say that I'm surprised to see them this deep but I'm glad they are there. Coaching staff has done wonders with them and that is shining now and will make them even better for next year.

Mr. Pennix and Mr. Copeland are valuable and imporant leaders for the younger Raiders on the field. They are also solid ballers. I'm excited to see what they do at Virginia Tech. The junior running back for Graham may move up to Pennix's recruiting level within the next few months. I understand he has 2 D1 offers, but the list is likely to sky rocket. I think he is at 2250 or 2300 yds on the season. For Appo, shutting him down first and foremost will be the key for the Raiders. Graham is going to throw the kitchen sink at Pennix. Their going to key on Pennix from start to finish and sell out the house on stopping him, and this is why Appo's QB running the ball will be key for the Raiders offensively.

I think it's a close game. I wrote this last year. Elevation is important. Appo is traveling from near sea level to over 3000 feet elevation (stadium elevation) and that is not easy if you aren't acclimated to it over a 3 or 4 day period. I'm with most everyone else on this one. Appomattox can certainlty win the football game, and so can Graham and this game will come down to turnovers. Both like to run it, so each team probably has limited offensive possessions, which makes turnovers even more critical because of the limited offensive possessions.

Each Teams Advantage. Graham-Elevation. It matters when you are doing some event or exercise that uses energy like a football contest, but isn't felt with normal routine activity (walking into the game, cheering as a fan). For Appomattox- Doug Smith. I read on another board that Doug Smith could have taken Radford's team and beat his by 3 scores, and he could have taken Glenvar's and beat his by 2 scores. I don't know how true it is, but one thing is for sure, Doug Smith is a weapon and advantage whenever Appo steps on the field.
Your last paragraph reminds me of a quote from the great coach Bum Phillips. He said "A good coach can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n"

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Appo always has a shot. Appo isn't as talented at the skilled positions of years past, But...I see no drop off at all on the line of scrimmage. I see a team on the line of scrimmage equally as talented as those former great teams, and if you have 5 from tackle to tackle that allows you to gain 5 yds per carry and shorten the game, you always have a chance. Ask Radford and Glenvar. Appo is Very good up front and in my take, as good as they have always been on the line of scrimmage.

Graham 42 - Appomattox 17
I wish it would be that easy but it’s going to be a slugfest from start to finish and could go either way. Graham has speed to burn and probably the strongest & fastest D line since Tony Palmer became head coach. I’m hoping for a GMen win but I don’t see it that lopsided.

If the Appo team that played at Radford and Glenvar shows up it wont be lopsided. And of course no 4th down fakes on your own 25 or whatever it was last year lol.

Reactions: AnyGivenFriday1969
I like those kind of coaching decisions as long as it’s the opponent & it doesn’t work 😂😂😂😂.
I'm being told it's an audible call if they see a certain defense. However i noticed when scruggs was QB he got a signal from coach first.

I'm being told it's an audible call if they see a certain defense. However i noticed when scruggs was QB he got a signal from coach first.
I think when Bradshaw would punt, Coach Palmer basically left it up to him if he’d try to get the yardage probably determined by how opponents were lined up also. This year, no clue what protocol is, lol.

I think when Bradshaw would punt, Coach Palmer basically left it up to him if he’d try to get the yardage probably determined by how opponents were lined up also. This year, no clue what protocol is, lol.
Same here no idea at all. As good of a QB as Tre was he had a problem with wanting to be a hero which really hurt us at times.

The QB for Appomattox is good. He looks like he might not be the most athletic and his throwing motion isn't the greatest, but the ball from point A to point B for 15 yards always seems to hit the receiver in the chest. The read plays and decisions to keep or hand off always seems to be the right ones. Shouldn't there be more fumbles and juggled balls in the backfield with some of those exchanges with the RB? It doesn't seem to happen. When it looks like he should be tackled, he oftens manages 4 or 5 more yards. The QB for Appo is a winner. Very smooth, and it's tough to beat QB's like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT