ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Radford

As I said…we’ve been on both sides of it ….and I’ve lived with a visit to Giles in 2013 that was more blatant in intent versus just being poor quality.
Just for a couple points of reference..recently we’ve lost to Graham (away) twice in State Semis ..both games we had our chances , made mistakes and got beat by talented teams….never did I say a word about officials…it was pretty good quality refs…so I’m not saying it to cover for a loss…just stating what others saw as well…
I do think it would have been a much closer game( not that we would have won) if officiating would have been better. But not crying over spilled milk…Radford moves on and we start basketball practice!

Reactions: oldfool2
Radford talent wise was a better team than Appo and the Radford QB is as good as advertised. Appomattox had its chances…but we made mistakes that you can’t have under regular season or playoffs but especially given the talent of Radford team.

With all that said ..officiating influenced the momentum in favor of the home team. The travesty just before half and the Radford score was BS. As was the holding call in 2nd half 30 yards behind Kelso as he crossed goaline. We ending up eventually scoring….but ate up clock and momentum swing. But the dagger in 2nd half was finally the TD for Radford on 4th and 17 and Radford QB was clearly 5 yards past line of scrimmage when he threw TD. Every film on Radford shows the kid scrambling , extending plays and so official should have been cognizant of potential of crossing line of scrimmage versus officials focused on more so than kids with knees showing. That was a very bad no call.

After Radford scored on 4 and 17 and made it a 2 score game….Appo didn’t recover and the lopsided final score came mainly on 2 late defensive scores…as Appo pressed to make up deficit.

Football Rule #1 is you have to always make sure your play as a team controls your own outcome versus leaving it up to any influence from quality of officiating.We didn’t do that. In being fair, in past championship years when we’ve had HF advantage, teams have said the same thing over officials during our games.

In final analysis Appo made too many mistakes against a more talented Radford team to win the game. We played a fairly good 1st quarter and 3rd quarter ….but not 4 quarters of consistent, disciplined football and credit goes to Radford for that.
One opinion after a rainy semifinal…
The refs were not good but after reviewing the actual film, the QB was not past the line. The ref was right on the line to see it. the other was actually a block in the back and not a hold call and it was correct and very dumb because the ball was 20 yards ahead. The only call on Appo that I saw that was questionable was the roughing the passer on the completed pass. it was borderline. The Appo player should've held up but didn't but didn't hit the QB very hard. A couple players without discipline really hurt them. Same ones that had the personal fouls and holding calls.

Reactions: toughy299
The refs were not good but after reviewing the actual film, the QB was not past the line. The ref was right on the line to see it. the other was actually a block in the back and not a hold call and it was correct and very dumb because the ball was 20 yards ahead. The only call on Appo that I saw that was questionable was the roughing the passer on the completed pass. it was borderline. The Appo player should've held up but didn't but didn't hit the QB very hard. A couple players without discipline really hurt them. Same ones that had the personal fouls and holding calls.
Catch the numbers on them?

Just watch the hudl film and he may have been over the line but not by much if he was. Definielty not 5 yards like someone said. The block in the back didn't effect the play at all, bad decision though by that player.

I haven't seen the film yet on whether Clark was passed the line or not. He may have been. I just don't have any clue, but the rule is tricky (unless it has changed in HS) the rule is different than what most realize. In the NFL, and I think for HS and College also, a player can actually be beyond the line of scrimmage when he throws the ball with MOST of his body including the ball. To qualify as an illegal forward pass, the entire body of the QB (every foot, every hand, every arm, every leg) must be BEYOND the line of scrimmage. To put it another way, if 95% of the QB's body including the football are PAST the line of scrimmage, but he has one half of his back feet barely behind the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, it's a legal pass.

Someone would need to check on this for High School Ball because I can't remember, but it's a common misnomer among fans around the county and we generally think ALL of the QB's body including the football must be BEHIND the line of scrimmage or the pass is illegal, but this is not the case. It's exactly the opposite. ALL of his body (everything) must be Beyond the Line of Scrimmage for the pass to be illegal, and if he has just 1 inch of back toe behind the LOS when the football is released, it's a legal pass.

Reactions: oldfool2 and Bo Bob
The QB was not over the line on that play, he just made a heads up play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT