ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Radford

Sitting in my comfy recliner in BSG watching both Gate City/Graham and Radford/APPO.

The one thing in Radford, I will note, is that I believe it is a disadvantage not to have the support of your fans and family behind you.

With Christiansburg, Blacksburg and Pulaski being nearby, I think that would help

Reactions: AppomattoxFan
Sitting in my comfy recliner in BSG watching both Gate City/Graham and Radford/APPO.

The one thing in Radford, I will note, is that I believe it is a disadvantage not to have the support of your fans and family behind you.

With Christiansburg, Blacksburg and Pulaski being nearby, I think that would help
Watching from afar your not able to see Raider fan base, Appo travels very well.

You’re absolutely right I cannot believe the VHSL allowed this to happen absolutely terrible for the Appomattox players and their families who made the long trip up there to support them ! The ultimate home cooking !

Reactions: Gridiron1960

How u watching both at the same time?

You’re absolutely right I cannot believe the VHSL allowed this to happen absolutely terrible for the Appomattox players and their families who made the long trip up there to support them ! The ultimate home cooking !
I know you all travel well and remember your visit to Bullitt Park a few years back. I’m just trying to say that we had stands for you to sit in behind your team so you can cheer them on and support them

Dern, i predicted a loss by the raiders of 21 points and it was only 20 points.Guess not enough adjustments were made by the coaching staff since the players dont drtermine the outcome of the game

Cry cry cry. Appomattox got beat tonight. The better team won. Landon Clark by far was the best player on the field. By far

Dern, i predicted a loss by the raiders of 21 points and it was only 20 points.Guess not enough adjustments were made by the coaching staff since the players dont drtermine the outcome of the game
Congratulations to the Bobcats for beating Appomattox! Your QB is obviously a stud and no team will come close to beating you. He’ll for sure be the MVP of the state championship team unless you run into a team that can eat the clock and pick apart your D-Line.

I do give Crist credit for being hands off on offense. That’s the difference maker for the Bobcats as far as coaching and offensive play calling.

Your QB is a special kind of talent! I give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stabler1980
Happy for the Cats. They looked good out there. I got to meet some cool Appo fans before the game and 1 of them is on this board, but doesn't post. Classy bunch as always and same thing when I have went there, fans are always good folks. The Appo fans I spoke with said they got a lot of youngins on that team. Future is still bright like always for Appo and even next year, Appo will be in the thick of it again. Radford should be good again, especially along the lines, but QB graduating is huge. He's the best QB we've had at Radford since Ken Alderman in the early 70s and we've had some good ones, but he is special.

Congratulations to the Bobcats for beating Appomattox! Your QB is obviously a stud and no team will come close to beating you. He’ll for sure be the MVP of the state championship team unless you run into a team that can eat the clock and pick apart your D-Line.

I do give Crist credit for being hands off on offense. That’s the difference maker for the Bobcats as far as coaching and offensive play.
Gridiron60 thanks for the compliments but we are well aware of the Goliath that is rolling into town if we beat Glenvar. A whole other beast presents in the semifinals IF we get through next week.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Radford talent wise was a better team than Appo and the Radford QB is as good as advertised. Appomattox had its chances…but we made mistakes that you can’t have under regular season or playoffs but especially given the talent of Radford team.

With all that said ..officiating influenced the momentum in favor of the home team. The travesty just before half and the Radford score was BS. As was the holding call in 2nd half 30 yards behind Kelso as he crossed goaline. We ending up eventually scoring….but ate up clock and momentum swing. But the dagger in 2nd half was finally the TD for Radford on 4th and 17 and Radford QB was clearly 5 yards past line of scrimmage when he threw TD. Every film on Radford shows the kid scrambling , extending plays and so official should have been cognizant of potential of crossing line of scrimmage versus officials focused on more so than kids with knees showing. That was a very bad no call.

After Radford scored on 4 and 17 and made it a 2 score game….Appo didn’t recover and the lopsided final score came mainly on 2 late defensive scores…as Appo pressed to make up deficit.

Football Rule #1 is you have to always make sure your play as a team controls your own outcome versus leaving it up to any influence from quality of officiating.We didn’t do that. In being fair, in past championship years when we’ve had HF advantage, teams have said the same thing over officials during our games.

In final analysis Appo made too many mistakes against a more talented Radford team to win the game. We played a fairly good 1st quarter and 3rd quarter ….but not 4 quarters of consistent, disciplined football and credit goes to Radford for that.
One opinion after a rainy semifinal…

Happy for the Cats. They looked good out there. I got to meet some cool Appo fans before the game and 1 of them is on this board, but doesn't post. Classy bunch as always and same thing when I have went there, fans are always good folks. The Appo fans I spoke with said they got a lot of youngins on that team. Future is still bright like always for Appo and even next year, Appo will be in the thick of it again. Radford should be good again, especially along the lines, but QB graduating is huge. He's the best QB we've had at Radford since Ken Alderman in the early 70s and we've had some good ones, but he is special.
FairLawn - QB is special no doubt. First and foremost he’s a great athlete. Great football / QB IQ and decision making with football. Great field vision and great moves while running. If Radford is able to play in 7 on 7 conditions without pressure on QB and no field condition issues…he will be hard to stop. The thing about beating him is all 11 defensive players have to consistently do their job or he will find the gap. We had blown coverage assignments, blitzing wrong gaps , etc. and he’s smart enough to identify it. Not sure about other teams but knowing Union’s previous history they may be tough but Riverheads ball control is exactly a way to potentially beat Radford…by limiting Radford possessions. #52 has a great motor on defense and is always around the ball.

Reactions: Stabler1980
There are many ways to look at the outcome of a game. The refs for this game were very bad. Did not work as a team at all and completely incompentent on several occasions. I could list 10-15 decisions or missed calls I disagreed with. I will also admit more of them favored Radford.....maybe 60/40...just a guess. The biggest issue I had was how they randomly stopped and started the clock and also how they spotted the ball 2-3 yards off several time (both ways). It was just apparent they didn't have a firm command of the rules and how to apply them in the speed of a competitive football game. Basically clueless.

FairLawn - QB is special no doubt. First and foremost he’s a great athlete. Great football / QB IQ and decision making with football. Great field vision and great moves while running. If Radford is able to play in 7 on 7 conditions without pressure on QB and no field condition issues…he will be hard to stop. The thing about beating him is all 11 defensive players have to consistently do their job or he will find the gap. We had blown coverage assignments, blitzing wrong gaps , etc. and he’s smart enough to identify it. Not sure about other teams but knowing Union’s previous history they may be tough but Riverheads ball control is exactly a way to potentially beat Radford…by limiting Radford possessions. #52 has a great motor on defense and is always around the ball.
I agree with you 100%. Credit Radfords OL which is improved and no disrespect to Appo, but the Appo DL this year is down a bit at least from my perspective after seeing Appos DL over the years. Appo needed to get more pressure to win and Appos secondary didnt get much needed help from their front 4.. You touched on it though, to beat Radford, ball control and limiting our possessions is key, but a front 4 that gets pressure on Clark is a must because his decision making is really good. A team like Central could be a real problem if Radford got that far and if Central got that far because their front 4 might be the best in the state at Class 2. Their secondary can be exploited some, but their front 4 with Lopez and company just completely disrupts offensive plays.

Radford talent wise was a better team than Appo and the Radford QB is as good as advertised. Appomattox had its chances…but we made mistakes that you can’t have under regular season or playoffs but especially given the talent of Radford team.

With all that said ..officiating influenced the momentum in favor of the home team. The travesty just before half and the Radford score was BS. As was the holding call in 2nd half 30 yards behind Kelso as he crossed goaline. We ending up eventually scoring….but ate up clock and momentum swing. But the dagger in 2nd half was finally the TD for Radford on 4th and 17 and Radford QB was clearly 5 yards past line of scrimmage when he threw TD. Every film on Radford shows the kid scrambling , extending plays and so official should have been cognizant of potential of crossing line of scrimmage versus officials focused on more so than kids with knees showing. That was a very bad no call.

After Radford scored on 4 and 17 and made it a 2 score game….Appo didn’t recover and the lopsided final score came mainly on 2 late defensive scores…as Appo pressed to make up deficit.

Football Rule #1 is you have to always make sure your play as a team controls your own outcome versus leaving it up to any influence from quality of officiating.We didn’t do that. In being fair, in past championship years when we’ve had HF advantage, teams have said the same thing over officials during our games.

In final analysis Appo made too many mistakes against a more talented Radford team to win the game. We played a fairly good 1st quarter and 3rd quarter ….but not 4 quarters of consistent, disciplined football and credit goes to Radford for that.
One opinion after a rainy semifinal…
Well ive witnessed Appo having those homefield refs a couple times esp in 2015 against richlands. Letting their dbs and lineman away with blatant holds. Gotta live with it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT