ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox

Appomattox isn't what they used to be. Which is not to say they're bad, but the standard has just been so high. Also Altavista has looked good. Deloach has done a great job. Dogwood seems vastly improved with the resurgence of Altavista, Gretna, Chatham looks strong, and Nelson County being respectable again. WC isn't bad either. Not sure any compete with Radford, but the Dogwood isn't as weak as some of the past years.

I can't believe what I read. I just can't believe it. It's one thing if it's an elite Heritage team, but Altavista. I just can't believe it. Really can't.

Probably for the best that LB game wasn't played.
I think the LB game wasn’t played because of timing and because of injuries, COViD and lack of depth. Having to play that next Monday the week of the Gretna game versus a bye week didn’t make a lot of sense for Appo. . I think if Appo could have played the Monday of their bye week later in season the would have regardless of their circumstance.. But both teams have to agree to it….that must not have worked for LB. Either way both AD’s agreed to final results.

Bob, sadly, I would think that the head coach struggling with his health problems is not helping? I hate this. It’s just not fair that a man as good as he is, is stricken with his health condition. Life is often just not fair.
It is heart breaking for sure!! Both of my boys have been blessed under Coach Smith. I’ve asked the question about “why him” many times but we can’t see Gods plan.

The players that have played for him are better men because of it. Ultimately that is what scholastic sports should be about and there is not a finer example over the last decade than Coach Smith. Tons of respect for him having only spoken to him one time at a Jamboree several years ago just prior to this run that the Raiders have been on. Cancer sucks ………. No other way to look at it

It is heart breaking for sure!! Both of my boys have been blessed under Coach Smith. I’ve asked the question about “why him” many times but we can’t see Gods plan.
I agree. We are supposed to have faith, but you can’t help but ask “why him or her” sometimes. I guess we will understand when we get to the Pearly Gates.

And I’ll take it a little further. The Appomattox community is one of the nicest, most respectable communities in the state. It’s seems especially unfair that they have to experience this. The same situation occurred with Coach Fischer at Louisa. It just wasn’t fair to those kids and those good folks up there either.

Doug Smith is a great man. Kids are better for having played for him. In addition to his personal qualities, he's an abnormal on the field coach. Abnormal as in being brilliant. A brilliant tactician, xs and os guy that just seems to be on another planet.

Altavista game is still shock to me. When you see Appo beat Buckingham who beat Central who then beat Altavista none of that even suggests Altavista would win much less the score. The score is the main thing. I would have to think Appo just plain didn't show up.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Altavista game is still shock to me. When you see Appo beat Buckingham who beat Central who then beat Altavista none of that even suggests Altavista would win much less the score. The score is the main thing. I would have to think Appo just plain didn't show up.
Hawk! They showed up but when you have at least 3 fumbles, throw an interception in the inzone and the guy takes it to the house and then penalties galore it’s a recipe for disaster. But I can tell you altavista could make a deep run in the playoffs since riverheads is gone in 1A.

Last edited:
What’s going on in Appo is a combo of many things that other really programs face; injuries, inexperience , player leadership and lack of team depth. All of these things bring about turnovers and poor performance especially against good, experienced programs. None of what I listed are excuses because every team has to deal with it on some level. Coach’s health has added to the situation because he would have been spending more time with the offense, but the Dogwood is a lot more competitive than in years past so we can’t take anything away from Gretna or Altavista. We’ll see how we finish…Hopefully we will get our best Sr DL/OL back this week…who knows how we will finish…😜!

What’s going on in Appo is a combo of many things that other really programs face; injuries, inexperience , player leadership and lack of team depth. All of these things bring about turnovers and poor performance especially against good, experienced programs. None of what I listed are excuses because every team has to deal with it on some level. Coach’s health has added to the situation because he would have been spending more time with the offense, but the Dogwood is a lot more competitive than in years past so we can’t take anything away from Gretna or Altavista. We’ll see how we finish…Hopefully we will get our best Sr DL/OL back this week…who knows how we will finish…😜!
Well stated. Not excuses, just reality. And the way you handle adversity defines you. I’m sure the team and coaches are facing their problems head on, with humility and hard work. But what doesn’t need to be overlooked is the Appomattox fan base. We all see post from other teams on here from “so called fans” blaming everybody else for everything that’s not going right. You never see that from you folks from Appo. And it’s refreshing. This has made me a Raiders fan. I enjoy following the team, and look forward in future years to getting back over there and catching a few of your games in person. Bleeding Navy and I made it to a half a game a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun.

I can tell you that I and lots of folks are proud and thankful to our coaches that have poured into these boys (and all sports). They give of their time everyday, not just Friday nights to work with these kids and try to help them be better in life and sports.
Tough patch right now but not everything is always easy.

Let's also not forgot they lost two players to Virginia Tech from last year. Pretty ridiculous for us not to assume there would be a drop off when a school that size loses two power 5 players in one class.

Right now, it looks like we (Radford) would be in good shape this year in the playoffs if we have to face Appo. I can honestly say this as good as we look and as down as Appo (by their standards) has looked.....I want absolutely nothing to do with them. 5-5, 4-6, don't care. Come game 11, watch and see. They are still dangerous. If Appo loses in the playoffs to Radford, Glenvar or Gretna, watch and see how close the game is. Appo will be right in it when all is said and done.

Right now, it looks like we (Radford) would be in good shape this year in the playoffs if we have to face Appo. I can honestly say this as good as we look and as down as Appo (by their standards) has looked.....I want absolutely nothing to do with them. 5-5, 4-6, don't care. Come game 11, watch and see. They are still dangerous. If Appo loses in the playoffs to Radford, Glenvar or Gretna, watch and see how close the game is. Appo will be right in it when all is said and done.
You guys are awesome ! I am a old QB from appo in 1980 a retired high school and college official 26 yrs and a true high school football fan, will travel 4 hrs to watch a good high school game some call us crazy but we all love it.

You can be the greatest coach in the world but if you don't have the jimmy and joes then you don't. That doesn't negate the work good coaches do off the field. I've seen them in person and they lack the explosiveness they are so accustomed to having. Doesn't make them bad just makes them different than the teams we have seen before. They may end up 5-5 but I don't see a deep playoff run on the table. I've been wrong before and know how to season crow to make it taste good.

Last edited:
You can be the greatest coach in the world but if you don't have the jimmy and joes then you don't. That doesn't negate the work good coaches do off the field. I've seen them in person and they lack the explosiveness they are so accustomed to having. Doesn't make them bad just makes them different than the teams we have seen before. They may end up 5-5 but I don't see a deep playoff run on the table. I've been wrong before and know how to season crow to make it taste good.
I usually take mine with ketchup and hot sauce. You would think I would get used to all those feathers after all these years, but they still get hung in my throat!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT