ADVERTISEMENT

Artifical noise makers

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
are they allowed ? I noticed at Radford saturday, one team's fans had bottles filled with something that made a stupid noise when shaken.

They are not prohibited by rule or by the VHSL. Some districts or regions might have their own guidelines, which would be up to adminstrators to enforce, not game officials. When I was in high school the district we were in had a rule against yelling while the other team was at the free throw line, if you can believe that. (True story)

Obviously, if someone brought firecrackers and set them off constantly or had access to a train horn, that would be shut down for the common good, or by the "unfair acts" clause in the rule book.

I know in football there is no rule against a band playing during a live ball, although it's thought there is.

There is a VHSL policy against PA during a live ball, although I still hear guys thinking they're calling games on the radio and giving play-by-play over the PA.
This post was edited on 6/15 8:31 AM by White hat

I was at a game once where the PA announcer was such a "homer" that he was calling out the offense for his team's defense. Sounded like he moonlighted as the defensive coordinator.

At Radford Saturday there was so much noise coming from the stands and dugout of one of the team's, I had to leave the game.

Everyone just needs to be quiet and let players play the game. when score clap for a few seconds and get reay for next play, pitch or whatever.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
I was at a game once where the PA announcer was such a "homer" that he was calling out the offense for his team's defense. Sounded like he moonlighted as the defensive coordinator.

That should have been stopped immediately with a strong possibility of the head coach being charged with a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

I wasn't on the game, but about 20 years ago I know of a game where the PA guy got excited and, following a play-action fake, he shouted over the PA "IT'S A PASS!!!!!!!"

The flag for that was charged to the head coach and the PA was off the rest of the night. I'm told the school had a new guy beginning its next home game.

Most high schools would be better off if they did not have a PA announcer as long as they had a working scoreboard

Case Book 1.18. Page 6. Artifical noise makers are prohibited.
chairshot.gif

does this include drums, air horns, cow bells, etc. I have never seen this enforced. I have seen fans when their team is playing a team that runs the "no huddle" offense, make all types of artifical noise with nothing done about it.
This post was edited on 7/20 4:20 PM by Hampton Roads 6

I don't see what you're talking about on Page 6. just copy the citation here.

Typo. Page 2 of the 2010-11 basketball case book.
Music /Noise/Sound restrictions
1.18 Situation. In(A), the band from the home team is playing during a live ball: (B)the electronic scorekeeper is playing broken-glass sound efffects just after an opponents missed field goal attempt;or (C) fans from the visiting team are using artificial noisemakers during an opponents free throw.Ruling, all situations are prohibited by rule.The officials should notify game management in (A) to instruct the band to only play during permitted times; (B) to instruct the scorekeeper to cease the prohibited acts; and in (C) to have a public-address announcement made stating that the use of articicial noise makers is prohibited at all times. In all situations, if the problem continues it may result in a technical foul being assesed to the team supporter (s).

Oh, I see. Basketball has different rules because it's in an enclosed place.

Football has no such rule and HR6's original question was about baseball or softball (I forget which) at Radford.

The NFHS does not get into fan behavior in those sports, so long as they fans don't come onto the field.

I had a play in summer league basketball last night and while looking for the rule, I ran up on the noise maker deal and knew their was a post here on Va.Preps.

the noise at that softball game at Radford was worse I have ever heard at any event. maybe not the loudest but the worse. If a team has to distract their opponent with noise in order to win, they deserve to lose. I think artifical noise should be banned at all games. Penalty should be first time a warning, 2nd time a forfeit.

OK HR6, tell me how that works. Are you suggesting the umpires (in softball) or officials in other sports now have authority to enforce rules on spectators?

I know we havce authority over non-players, including spectators, when they are directly involved in action on the field, but we're not going to worrying about action behind the fence. I have no idea who enforces the rule in basketball or how it's done, but basketball doesn't have the fence around the court like outdoor sports have.

If a district has a rule about noisemakers it's up to administrators to put an end to the noise, but I don't see an AD walking up and calling a forfeit.

Could the noise maker have been one of the obnoxious horns the fans used at the World Cup Soccer from South Africa last year? Really annoying.

fans in all sports should go to the game and sit down and be quiet. if their team scores or makes a good defensive play , clap for the play then be quiet. Too many athletic events at high schools and colleges have became too "loud". Most PA announcers must get paid by the amount of noise they generate.
Music should be banned at all games except National Anthem and school's fight song. If one wants music let them go to a concert or stay home and listen to their radio/CD player, etc. Baseball games have become more music oriented than baseball. It has reached the point to where they play music between pitches. It started with pre game, then went to between innings, then between batters, and now between pitches. College football is almost as bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT