ADVERTISEMENT

Ask the fans. What do you want in a coach for your program?

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
With this time of year being prime time for coaching moves. I'm asking fans.

What do you want in a coach for the program you root for? List what is most important to you. Maybe a top 5-8 things the coach must have for you to approve of him leading your program? I hear some say they want HC experience, some say they want discipline/accountablility more, some just want to win at all cost. Most answers likely depend on the demographics of school and prior success, or lack there of, at your school. Disclaimer; Please don't turn this into attacking of a current HC at your school/program that you may not care for.

I'll start.

1. Leadership - first and foremost, coach has to understand how to lead. Leaders work everyday, no days off. Leaders are always trying to learn new things and improve their skill set. Set positive example day in and day out. More than football, coaches are teaching players how to be men.

2. Relatable - if coach can't relate to kids, it'll be tough for kids to trust him. If you don't have full trust/ buy in, throw the rest out because talent, scheme won't matter.

3. Accountability - coach must set rules/standards for each member of program, if those standards aren't met, repercussions must come or once again, you can throw it out. Coaches must also hold themselves accountable.

4. Positive Energy - No coach will win every game and have success every season. You will have tough times. Coaches that can remain positive and keep that energy throughout the tough times, usually bounce back.

5. Thick Skin - coaches will be challenged by players, parents, admin, fans, opponents. Coaches must be able to swallow pride at times and come correct when they respond to adverse situations. This day in age, everything is recorded, have to be cognizant of how you come across in all situations.

Plenty other qualities are needed but these seem to stand out most to me. This is what I'd preach during an interview to be a HC.

Reactions: MrSir#5
Excellent topic One Man. This is my take. Believe all good teams have coaches with these qualities.

1. Leadership: The coach must sell the vision (Why?). Not only to his coaches, team, and school, but the community as well.
2. Competence: Does he value education, create team unity and a have demonstrated knowledge of football period.
3. Honesty/Trustworthy: Can I trust you with my kids. Will you be there when they need you.
4. Loyalty: Has the coach proven he can build a program and see it through. Year round coach!
5. Guidance: Discipline, consistency, and character. Utmost importance to me!
6. Invest in the Community: Does the team support the community like the community supports the team.

Basically I want a coach who is a winner on and off the field!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT