ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn ?

THEGOATFROMJMU

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 21, 2008
They are currently ranked as #5 in the latest VApreps poll.....

They were awful as recent as 2010-2012 going 0-30

Last year they were 7-5 but only beat one team who had a better than .500 record at the end of the year...

Just seeing what's cookin down there.

Auburn (Riner) has become an "it" place to live for one. Look at the real estate market there and it'll prove my point. Had an influx of money and disciplined kids to go along with it. Several of their sports improved drastically in the last 2-3 years. Also, the coaching isn't too shabby.

They are currently ranked as #5 in the latest VApreps poll.....

They were awful as recent as 2010-2012 going 0-30

Last year they were 7-5 but only beat one team who had a better than .500 record at the end of the year...

Just seeing what's cookin down there.[/QUOTE

Not a whole lot cooking in Riner. There have certainly been DRASTIC improvements made with the Auburn football program with out a doubt. Coach Turner has done nothing short of a UNBELIEVABLE job with a team/program that prior to him showing up did not know how to compete nor have the desire to compete and knew how to do one thing and that was "lose" and he has done all this with a coaching staff that seems to change yearly and that he has to coach/teach as well coaching the kids. The current ranking of #5 is nice to see but IMO is a bit of a stretch at this time and I am sure Coach Turner would agree. They are certainly a team that is still IMO disregarded and overlooked by most and given there past to some degree makes sense. The biggest problem they have faced and will continue to face at Auburn is simply a lack of team speed and if Coach Turner only had that then we could and would certainly be having a serious conversation about the #5 ranking (or better) being legitimate. But you got what you got and as a wise man once said "wish in one hand and s*** in the other and see which gets full first". One thing for sure unlike years past they will now line up and compete and play physical regardless of the opponent.

Not a whole lot cooking in Riner. There have certainly been DRASTIC improvements made with the Auburn football program with out a doubt. Coach Turner has done nothing short of a UNBELIEVABLE job with a team/program that prior to him showing up did not know how to compete nor have the desire to compete and knew how to do one thing and that was "lose" and he has done all this with a coaching staff that seems to change yearly and that he has to coach/teach as well coaching the kids. The current ranking of #5 is nice to see but IMO is a bit of a stretch at this time and I am sure Coach Turner would agree. They are certainly a team that is still IMO disregarded and overlooked by most and given there past to some degree makes sense. The biggest problem they have faced and will continue to face at Auburn is simply a lack of team speed and if Coach Turner only had that then we could and would certainly be having a serious conversation about the #5 ranking (or better) being legitimate. But you got what you got and as a wise man once said "wish in one hand and s*** in the other and see which gets full first". One thing for sure unlike years past they will now line up and compete and play physical regardless of the opponent

Not a whole lot cooking in Riner. There have certainly been DRASTIC improvements made with the Auburn football program with out a doubt. Coach Turner has done nothing short of a UNBELIEVABLE job with a team/program that prior to him showing up did not know how to compete nor have the desire to compete and knew how to do one thing and that was "lose" and he has done all this with a coaching staff that seems to change yearly and that he has to coach/teach as well coaching the kids. The current ranking of #5 is nice to see but IMO is a bit of a stretch at this time and I am sure Coach Turner would agree. They are certainly a team that is still IMO disregarded and overlooked by most and given there past to some degree makes sense. The biggest problem they have faced and will continue to face at Auburn is simply a lack of team speed and if Coach Turner only had that then we could and would certainly be having a serious conversation about the #5 ranking (or better) being legitimate. But you got what you got and as a wise man once said "wish in one hand and s*** in the other and see which gets full first". One thing for sure unlike years past they will now line up and compete and play physical regardless of the opponent
Miracle might be a better word, I agree Coach would be the first to tell you they are not in the top 5 in the west, as was stated no speed. But for anyone to talking about Auburn and Football is funny considering before he got there Auburn would never have mentioned on this or any other site. The players have bought into his way, great point about the coaches, Montgomery County must not care about keeping coaches, he has lost his 3 best because of teaching positions going to non coaches.

Miracle might be a better word, I agree Coach would be the first to tell you they are not in the top 5 in the west, as was stated no speed. But for anyone to talking about Auburn and Football is funny considering before he got there Auburn would never have mentioned on this or any other site. The players have bought into his way, great point about the coaches, Montgomery County must not care about keeping coaches, he has lost his 3 best because of teaching positions going to non coaches.

Wait! Do you mean teaching positions went to people who weren't hand picked for their football coaching ability? Or did you mean the coaching positions were given to people simply because they were teachers?

Wait! Do you mean teaching positions went to people who weren't hand picked for their football coaching ability? Or did you mean the coaching positions were given to people simply because they were teachers?
Auburn has lost 3 football coaches because someone else was chosen for the teaching position instead of them, all coached track as well. 1 is at bath, 1 is at Floyd and 1 is at battlefield , all teaching and coaching.

That's what I thought. There is no way a teacher should ever be hired simply because they can coach though. I'm sure other factors were involved, but the ability to actually teach should be the first, second, and third concern when hiring.

That's what I thought. There is no way a teacher should ever be hired simply because they can coach though. I'm sure other factors were involved, but the ability to actually teach should be the first, second, and third concern when hiring.
Good teachers and good coaches are usually one in the same.

If they truly valued teaching (in the classroom), I am sure an administrator would want them in the building. Coaching and teaching is the same thing, but that doesn't mean that passion is in the classroom. Let's be real about this. Don't know any of those former coaches from Adam, but it is what it is.

Remarkable job by Turner at Auburn. His dedication to the weight room is unmatched and the only way possible to make Auburn competitive. He has given the program a pulse and the kids confidence to compete. If they ever found two or three athletes in the same graduating class who knows...

Side note - I know nothing about the auburn teaching/coaching situation. Great coaches can definitely be great teachers but I've known many that were either or. Great coach but no passion in classroom, great teacher but no passion on the competitive field. I've also known a very few that happened to be great in both.

I may be off base a little here, but I'm thinking the reason some of these coaches moved on is because Turner doesn't give them much authority or let them contribute to any decision making. There have been several coaches come to Auburn under Turner, stay one season and leave . I know one of his position coaches said he had absolutely no say so in personnel decisions or was never even asked his opinions on who should be playing, not playing, 1st team, 2nd team, or so on. Turner does not allow his coaches to ride the team bus to away games. Only he and the players allowed. The coaches have to supply their own transportation to and from those games. I never understood that .

Is the mouthy kid that played at Franklin County still on the staff? I recall him thinking of himself as a super star because he played one play in a spring game at Tech.

I may be off base a little here, but I'm thinking the reason some of these coaches moved on is because Turner doesn't give them much authority or let them contribute to any decision making. There have been several coaches come to Auburn under Turner, stay one season and leave . I know one of his position coaches said he had absolutely no say so in personnel decisions or was never even asked his opinions on who should be playing, not playing, 1st team, 2nd team, or so on. Turner does not allow his coaches to ride the team bus to away games. Only he and the players allowed. The coaches have to supply their own transportation to and from those games. I never understood that .
For the sake of Auburn let's hope coach Turner doesn't change, I am sure the coach before him let all coaches ride the bus and and have freedom to do what ever they wished as far as players playing time to make all happy and what plays to run, that is why Auburn was such a power and idiots like me would post about Auburn. LOL. We are posting because of who there coach is and they are having a little success that no one thought they would have, when he leaves I could care less about Auburn . As far as coaches the 3 that left was his old players from pulaski that left because they needed teaching jobs, after his first year he made changes because he had some left from previous staff. Teaching is your main income , not coaching. BTW everyday at work the Volvo the boys from Giles talk about what a bundle of joy Coach Ragsdale was and I have to laugh and think about my days with coach hicks, I am glad both ran a democratic program.

For the sake of Auburn let's hope coach Turner doesn't change, I am sure the coach before him let all coaches ride the bus and and have freedom to do what ever they wished as far as players playing time to make all happy and what plays to run, that is why Auburn was such a power and idiots like me would post about Auburn. LOL. We are posting because of who there coach is and they are having a little success that no one thought they would have, when he leaves I could care less about Auburn . As far as coaches the 3 that left was his old players from pulaski that left because they needed teaching jobs, after his first year he made changes because he had some left from previous staff. Teaching is your main income , not coaching. BTW everyday at work the Volvo the boys from Giles talk about what a bundle of joy Coach Ragsdale was and I have to laugh and think about my days with coach hicks, I am glad both ran a democratic program.
people were talking about why a lot of coaches have left Auburn, they haven't all been for teaching positions. just speculating on why some guys may not like their roles under Turner. I guess each has his own reasons. I don't now enough of them personally to know.

What on earth is the reason for assistant coaches not being allowed to ride on the bus? That seems a little strange. That can't be true

What on earth is the reason for assistant coaches not being allowed to ride on the bus? That seems a little strange. That can't be true
For the record and 60 second man who doesn't like Coach Turner for personel reasons I just got off the phone with the parents I work with at Volvo, who sons coach at Auburn , one is still there the other the other left because of no teacher jobs. I wanted to find out the truth. Fact one 38 seats on bus, coach turner, trainer, ball boys, 35 players, coaches meet bus there with equipment and get locker room set up. Quote " we don't want to ride bus more comfortable in car". Fact two and I need to correct myself the coaches left no teaching positions in there endorsement area, quote " it was coach Turner that encouraged them to take a better paying job instead of a lower paying teacher aide job"

For the record and 60 second man who doesn't like Coach Turner for personel reasons I just got off the phone with the parents I work with at Volvo, who sons coach at Auburn , one is still there the other the other left because of no teacher jobs. I wanted to find out the truth. Fact one 38 seats on bus, coach turner, trainer, ball boys, 35 players, coaches meet bus there with equipment and get locker room set up. Quote " we don't want to ride bus more comfortable in car". Fact two and I need to correct myself the coaches left no teaching positions in there endorsement area, quote " it was coach Turner that encouraged them to take a better paying job instead of a lower paying teacher aide job"
I have never said anything what so ever about not liking Jack Turner. He's a nice guy and a good football coach. I have no problems with him personal or otherwise. don't know where you get that. I was told Turner does not allow his coaches to ride the team bus with him and the boys. I was never given an explanation of why this was happening, just that that was the way Turner wanted it. Like I said in the earlier post, I was just speculating on why several of coaches have left Auburn. I did not say I knew for sure why they left.

Courgar Ed, I am very glad you do not run a school system...or maybe you do run Pulaski...that would explain a lot. Teaching and Coaching are both education based roles, but that is where the comparison ends. And while, yes, SOME are great at both...very few are. Priorities mostly lie in one area or the other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT