ADVERTISEMENT

Automatic First Down?

Oct 1, 2007
Does a personal foul result in an automatic first down in VHSL rules?

Here's the situation: 4th down, offense to punt. Bad snap over the punter's head picked up by the offense (punting team) around the three and carried into the end zone. At that point a defender grabbed the runner's face mask, pulled and twisted. The runner escaped and was tackled on the one yard line. The ruling on the field was a 15 yard penalty to the 16, but still 4th down.

Can anyone explain the no first down aspect of this. I thought the automatic first down was universal on personal fouls - but ... apparently not.

Thanks for any help.
This post was edited on 10/20 10:04 AM by CJohansen

HS football games aren't played under NCAA or NFL rules. Those rules don't apply on Friday night.

Only roughing the passer, kicker, holder, and snapper and defensive pass interference result in an automatic 1st down in HS football.

BTW, there's no such thing as VHSL rules. All states except Texas and Massachussetts play by NFHS rules. Those two states play by NCA rules.

I've never seen roughing the snapper called before. As a former HS snapper I felt it should've been called a couple of times but it never was. Do you see this much? And how much time does the snapper have to recover from snapping before he can be hit?

I on't see it as uch as Iid when the rule was first instituted. Very few people line head-up on the snapper now. If a player hits the snapper while playing the gap, it's nothing. Roughing the snapper is basically taking a cheap shot on the snapper while his head is still down. Once he recovers belance enough to look up and protect himself, he's just another lineman.

The snapper is protected on scrimmage kicks during the time he is a snapper (until he participates further in the play ie blocks).
This is the responsibility of the umpire on scrimmage kicks. The umpire on my crew is very good about telling the defenders prior to the snap to avoid roughing the snapper.

The snapper has to actually make an effort to protect himself, too. There was one game where the snapper had been coached to keep his head down and wait for someone to brush by him, then fall backwards. The coaches - on cue - all started screaming that the snapper was roughed. I guess that's football's version of a soccer "dive".

Originally posted by Fadamor:
The snapper has to actually make an effort to protect himself, too. There was one game where the snapper had been coached to keep his head down and wait for someone to brush by him, then fall backwards. The coaches - on cue - all started screaming that the snapper was roughed. I guess that's football's version of a soccer "dive".

Whether roughing occurs or not has nothing to do with whether he makes "make an effort to protect himself." He cannot be charged directly into until he has an opportunity to protect himself. Whether he does or not is of no consequence. Also, there's no rule that says he can't be touched. Brushing by him or even making contact is not roughing.
This post was edited on 7/24 12:36 PM by FBRef

Originally posted by FBRef:

Whether roughing occurs or not has nothing to do with whether he makes "make an effort to protect himself." He cannot be charged directly into until he has an opportunity to protect himself. Whether he does or not is of no consequence. Also, there's no rule that say7s he can't be touched. Brushing by him or even making contact is not roughing.

True enough. I mis-spoke. The OPPORTUNITY must be there. If the snapper doesn't take the opportunity then it's his neck and spine that are at risk for no reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT