ADVERTISEMENT

Bands

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
How many away teams had their bands at the game to support their team?

Culpeper's band was at Skyline. It was a big portion of the crowd on that side of the field. Not that the crowd was that big on the Skyline side either. Cold weather and higher ticket prices will do that.

Reactions: OCBoy
No band For chancellor. Last year William Fleming brought their band all the way up from Roanoke and year before Glass did the same.

No band For chancellor. Last year William Fleming brought their band all the way up from Roanoke and year before Glass did the same.
Interesting subject. I have had this talk with the Chancellor band directors for 16 seasons now and just talked this subject tot eh current band directer this past Wednesday. I had two daughters play in that band so I know the system up front, close and personal. Its pretty simple. Money. There is very limited funding for band travel in this county which generally means a school gets to take their band to 1 away game and it is almost always an in county rival game. All others are funded by either the band parents or other fund raising efforts. Unfortunately, they need to raise money for their own activities, competitions and such. So, since travel costs start around 250-300 bucks and go up depending on miles and time …. well, you get the idea …..

Interesting subject. I have had this talk with the Chancellor band directors for 16 seasons now and just talked this subject tot eh current band directer this past Wednesday. I had two daughters play in that band so I know the system up front, close and personal. Its pretty simple. Money. There is very limited funding for band travel in this county which generally means a school gets to take their band to 1 away game and it is almost always an in county rival game. All others are funded by either the band parents or other fund raising efforts. Unfortunately, they need to raise money for their own activities, competitions and such. So, since travel costs start around 250-300 bucks and go up depending on miles and time …. well, you get the idea …..
Is that a county rule? I've always known a band to go to every away playoff game(s). The Fauquier schools take their bands to all in county away games.

Its just the way the funding is provided and allocated. So its a county thing. Of course, if someone is willing to pay those costs ….

I come from Texas and the game isn't a game unless the band is there! Or as my kids used to tell me …. without the band, its just a game. It still kills me when we travel and there is no band. Not even a drum line! If I could change it, I would.

Yea the bleachers were marked off for the charger band then they found out they weren't coming

Dinwiddie's band traveled to Hanover. 1 hour and 15 minute ride. Monacan band greeted and applauded them before the game.

Heritage-Leesburg brought their band to Woodgrove in uniforms; the Woodgrove band was in street cloths.

Nobody performed at halftime.
Woodgroves band looked sharp couple years ago when they came to eastern view with that monster crowd

Woodgroves band looked sharp couple years ago when they came to eastern view with that monster crowd

We are quite proud of our band.

I don't think we have the band / athletic animosity that perhaps exists at other schools?

Our band and pep band in the winter ROCK!

Spotsys band is at Brentsville

Dinwiddie band still 20 deep with ten being Dancers?
Close. 18 with four dancers. Lol We call them the Kazoo
Hard, man, hard! But sadly, true. I think Coach Mills recruits the tuba players for the football team! That's why they are short handed!
Tuba players? Think coach stole the whole dang brass section and drum major. Remember when they announced the kid was doing a brass solo? No crap, he was the darn brass section. Lol

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I guess everybody with an instrument is "first" horn, drum, whatever. Since there is only one of anything.

Bless their hearts, they try. Has Hanover got a good band?

I guess everybody with an instrument is "first" horn, drum, whatever. Since there is only one of anything.

Bless their hearts, they try. Has Hanover got a good band?
I think Hanover has a very big band as well. Most of those Richmond schools have bands like NoVa HUGE

Salem has a big band, but I'm not sure if they make it to all away games. I'm pretty sure they do as long as there isn't a competition. I believe they dress in uniform, I like to see them dressed up if they are going to all the trouble of being there. I think the band has 100-125 members and they are known as the Pride of Salem. The Roanoke Co schools all have good bands especially Northside, Cave Spring, and Hidden Valley.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Spotsys band is at Brentsville
That just tells me that either 1) that was their first away game they took them on or 2) they funded for it somehow themselves. I believe Chancellors Band Director would have the band at every game if he could fund it without taking funding away from the competitions and other things they do. Its all in the money.

Reactions: OCBoy
Salem has a big band, but I'm not sure if they make it to all away games. I'm pretty sure they do as long as there isn't a competition. I believe they dress in uniform, I like to see them dressed up if they are going to all the trouble of being there. I think the band has 100-125 members and they are known as the Pride of Salem. The Roanoke Co schools all have good bands especially Northside, Cave Spring, and Hidden Valley.

Mike, have they retired "The Raven" for a new theme?

Mike, have they retired "The Raven" for a new theme?
Yeah this year was a patriotic theme because their first home game was on 9/11. The band as always has done a wonderful job this year! They truly are the Pride of Salem. They have been doing a great job in competition as well. I always enjoy the Christmas parade (hard to believe it's in like 3 weeks) the ALMS, Glenvar, & Salem bands all perform. Last year I got to enjoy the Grandin Rd Christmas Parade right in front of the nursing home I was at, the Patrick Henry band was great. I also was able to get out of jail and enjoy the Salem Christmas Parade. I was able to get out of jail for the GW & Liberty Beal games also. I was fortunate enough to be able to make the best out of a tough situation. It was really cool, I was a bit of a celebrity at the nursing home because I left as much as possible to go to football games, parades, movies (Grandin Theatre was right down the road) & to eat with Monica and the kids in the Grandin Village. I didn't want to be at the NH, but I couldn't have picked a better one to get my strength back with therapy.

Now a huge band is battlefield and lake Braddock they have about 200. Couple years ago when franklin county came to battlefield the franklin band tried to tune battlefield out and battlefield blasted them. Then battlefield played loudly every time franklin county snapped the ball causing at least 5 false starts

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT