ADVERTISEMENT

News Baseball 2A Region Matchups

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
2A East Region

05-30 Amelia vs Maggie Walker (at JR Tucker)
05-30 Page County vs Madison County

05-30 Nandua vs Goochland
05-30 Stratsburg vs East Rockingham

=======================================

2A West Region

05-30 Floyd County vs Randolph Henry
05-30 Dan River vs Glenvar

05-30 Virginia vs Lebanon
05-30 Union vs Grayson County

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/base-2016-2A-east-bracket.pdf

12111969_10207264303791174_6530660288301446734_n.jpg

Madison Co. defeated Page Co. 1-0 in 8 innings. MC pitcher E. Estes threw a complete game 2 hitter. I think they host Maggie Walker Wednesday. The PC pitcher also threw a complete game.

Reactions: Jdphil2
Maggie Walker Governor’s School won its first region baseball title on Friday night, thanks to some timely hitting.

The hitting was timely in that it beat torrential rains, which ultimately caused the game to be called after five innings. The Green Dragons defeated Goochland 8-5, although both will advance to next weekend’s state semifinals.

“Our pitching and defense got us here, but the last few games we’ve been able to hit the ball pretty well,” said Maggie Walker coach Meade Langhorne. “Hopefully they can keep it up at the state tournament.”

The Bulldogs fell into a five-run hole out of the gate, but stormed back to tie the game in the top of the fourth, as the whole lineup came to the plate.

MWGS pitcher Nathan Berry was cruising, and hadn’t allowed a hit into the fourth inning. After allowing a one-out single, two fielding errors extended the inning, and Goochland’s John King cleared the bases with a double to deep left that scored three runs.

The game remained tied 5-5 until the bottom of the fifth, when Maggie Walker struck again.

Frankie Celentano had a leadoff hit to get things started, his third time reaching base in the game.

Teammates Matthew Pinson and Forrest Smith followed with hits of their own, Smith’s a long double that was held in the park by a gust of wind — a hint of the weather that was to come.

In the top of the sixth, Goochland had a runner on first when lightning strikes delayed the game. After extended rains, the teams agreed to call the game, with Maggie Walker players informed in the locker room that they were the Region 2A East champs.

The players celebrated their school’s first such title, but the celebration was short-lived. Both teams will now prepare for next weekend’s state tournament, in which they could face each other again if they both win.

The Dragons will face Grayson County on Friday, while Goochland will face Virginia High.

Goochland 000 05 — 5

MWGS 140 03 — 8

G: Murray, 1 2/3, Falconer, 2 1/3, Mayosky, 1. MWGS: Berry 3 2/3, Celentano, 1 1/3

TAZEWELL, Va. - Anthony Morales is the best bunter on the Virginia High baseball roster. Which is how it came to be that he lofted a sacrifice fly for the game-winning run in Friday’s Region 2A West championship game win over Grayson County.

In the top of the seventh inning of a 9-9 game and with the Bearcats’ Aaron Rose barreling toward the plate from third base, Morales squared around and fouled off a nasty outside pitch, preventing Rose from being hung out to dry on a failed squeeze attempt. Morales then slapped a two-strike fly ball to right, just deep enough for Rose to tag and score what would prove to be the deciding run in the Bearcats’ 10-9 win over the Blue Devils at Lou Peery Field.

Both teams advance to Friday’s Group 2A state semifinals at Kiwanis Field in Salem. Grayson County (19-5) draws East region champ Maggie Walker at 10 a.m. after which Virginia High (19-8) squares off with East runner-up Goochland at 1 p.m.

Bearcat coach Mark Daniels gave Morales two pitches with which to bring in Rose before putting on the squeeze. Then with a two-strike count, Morales simply did his job.

“I just wanted to put it in play and score a run,” said the junior center fielder. “Just hit it hard in play.”

“With two strikes, we practice it every day, getting a guy in from third with less than two outs,” said Daniels, whose Bearcats are chasing their third straight state title. “Just get a ball in the air in the outfield. It wasn’t as deep as I would have liked and I knew it would be a bang-bang play, and luckily the throw was off-line.”

It was a rather pedestrian finish to an afternoon full of fireworks. Virginia High scored twice in the top of the first but couldn’t find the third out in the third inning as the Blue Devils got four successive two-out RBI singles for a 4-2 lead.

Trailing 5-2 in the fifth, Virginia pulled to within one on RBI groundouts by Derek Gilbert and Jacob Taylor.

Grayson County got a run back in the bottom of the fifth when Tyler Lundy singled and later scored on Seth Phillips’ ground ball out, but the Bearcats blew the lid off the top of the sixth – momentarily, as it turned out – with a five-run uprising. Run-scoring singles by Zach Griffith and Clay Malcolm tied the game at 6-6 and Matthew Hunt’s double scored two more before Taylor capped the inning with an RBI single.

Morales wasn’t exactly in a trophy-grabbing mode just yet.

“I did not think it was over,” he said. “I knew they’d keep hitting the ball.”

And the Devils did. Micah Cornett and Preston Worrell singled leading off the home sixth and with one out, Tyler Lundy deposited a three-run blast onto the batting tunnel between the 350- and 370-foot signs beyond center field.

“That was a bomb, wasn’t it? Good gosh,” Grayson coach Mike Worrell said. “I always feel that offensively with this team you’ve got a chance.”

The homer undid Virginia High’s big rally but it did set up a seventh-inning finish sparked by Rose’s one-out triple to the left-center gap.

“What a game. That’s how regional championships are supposed to be played,” Daniels said. “My hat goes off to Grayson County. They came ready. They battled. I was so proud of my guys. We got up, got down, came back and got up again, just kept plugging away. Very fortunate to have one more than they did today.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT