ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ?

ed r forshey

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Jun 16, 2001
This happen Saturday evening in WV Girls Championship Game.
Greenbrier East vs Bridgeport

I've never seen this happen before,

GE player is at the foul line
Shooting 2
Just as she releases the 1st shot,
The scorer hits the horn
After a conference at the table for why the horn sounded,
The refs rewarded her a new 1st shot of 2, she misses and then makes shot #3.

Was this correct in rewarding the extra shot?
I know all 3 guys that were working the game and I'm certain they know the rules inside and out.

HUH? If you know the crew is on top of it and know the rules "inside and out" watcha want from us? A second opinion? OK here's mine: You didn't say what the horn was for, possibly getting the refs attention because the table did not get which player had fouled and wanted to be sure. If the crew viewed the horn had disconcerted the first free throw (also you didnt say the outcome of first ft) I suppose, although unusual, this could warrant a "do-over". Def a blunder by the clock operator though.

She missed the 1st attempt
Horn sounded just as it left her hand.

Yes, I want your opinion
Is there anywhere in the book what to do if this happens?
The horn was to actually get the number correct

An inadvertant horn is addressed in 2011-12 Casebook 2.11.3, and refers to the horn sounding during a live ball:

"If the scorer signals while the ball is live, the official should ignore the signal if a scoring play is in progress. Otherwise, the official may stop play to determine the reason for the scorer's signal."

I can't find your exact situation, but the officials must have felt the horn happened before, or was close enough to being prior to, the release of the free throw that they stopped play. It would be interesting to see if they would have counted a made 1st free throw. I'd be inclined to think they would have. As I said in my first post, the officials could have felt the horn effected her missed shot.
For more opinions (unless HOOPSREF chimes in here) you might post/ask this on the officiating.com forum
Seems to be another of those unusual things that can happen, but not specifically appear in a rulebook.
This post was edited on 3/20 9:33 AM by gymrat10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT