ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the G's, Part I

Dec 17, 2015
Graham at Giles

Graham is much improved but I think the Onewingers are better, still. The scoreboard will be smoking in Pearisburg as these two teams will light it up more than their respective basketball teams will.

I've got Giles in a shootout, 54-48.

Who you got in this one?

Ill go with Graham 42-28
Agree, it will probably be a shoot out. Graham has not had any luck stopping or even slowing down the Giles single-wing offense in the last 3 seasons, since they started playing each other. But Giles "D" has not looked too impressive this year so far. So, it should be an offensive slugfest, but the key will probably come down to which "D" can make a couple key stops or get some turn-overs. I'll take Giles 42-40

Graham was in position to make plays last season....for the first time in this recent series... But the arm tackling and kids trying to strip the ball and Brian Mann breaking tackles in the backfield did Graham in. Graham is much improved on both sides of the ball. Graham has been on a mission this season to prove that they have more weapons than Cousin. However, Cousin needs to get the ball and get it often. He is the best player on Graham's team and he hasn't been getting the ball like he should. I"ll say if Cousin touches the ball 20 or more times, then Graham wins.... Less than 20 they lose. Also, Cooke needs to be targeted more....he had 4 receptions against Richlands and two went for TD's...another target was dropped that would've went for a TD and another was broken up in the endzone on an excellent defensive play.....

Cousin and Cooke will be the best two ball players on the field. Graham needs to stop trying that QB option all the time...it's not going to work against the likes of Giles and Richlands like it did against Bluefield and Tazewell... Meade is a good qb, but he is small and got absolutely smothered by the interior of Richlands' line and Graham kept doing the same thing over and over.... Cooke was 10 yards behind Richland's defense all night and was not targeted enough.... Cousin touched the ball about 10 times, that is ridiculous... One stat sheet had him touching it 15 times, but that same stat sheet had Jazaire Reed with zero carries... I think they credited Cousin with his carries.....

Cousin has touched the ball about 35 times in the first 3 games.... this is a kid that is being looked at by D1 schools... he is the best ball player on the field...GET HIM THE BALL, he is a playmaker. He can't make plays if he does not have the ball. We get it, Graham has other options that can hurt you, but they don't have anybody as good as Cousin as those other options. Cooke has the speed to burn you on just about every pass play. They are not being targeted enough.

I repeat, get the ball to Cousin.... get the ball to Cooke as often as possible. If not, Graham loses.

I would love to see Cousin take a halfback toss to either side and draw defenders to him and pull up and pass the ball. I think that would be a play that may work a couple of times for Graham this year.

Giles had better shore up some of those leaks they had last week. They will improve as the season continues, but they need to do it ASAP!

Graham at Giles

Graham is much improved but I think the Onewingers are better, still. The scoreboard will be smoking in Pearisburg as these two teams will light it up more than their respective basketball teams will.

I've got Giles in a shootout, 54-48.

Who you got in this one?

GO GILES!!! hoping for a giles rout.

Graham's basketball team will light up the scoreboard for sure this year. . .look for another run at states...just saying.... And I can't wait for this matchup on Friday. Graham is finally starting to look a little like the Graham teams of old.

If Graham studied film on the Narrows-Giles game, I think they will win. I hope the Spartans are having a good week of practice. They will need it.

Ill go with Graham 42-28
There is no way that Graham will hold Giles to 28 points. Graham may very well win the game if Giles starts as slow as they did against Narrows but Graham has shown no ability to stop the single wing in the past. Giles also has a history of having a difficult time after a bye week. I see a shootout.

Giles 49 Graham 35

I think the score will be low. No indication that either team is going to blow it up. I don't think either get into the 40's. I know 30's isn't low, but these are two solid offenses. This game is down to who screws up on coverage/assignment first. It may be hard to get a lead after letting in a quick score.

There is no way that Graham will hold Giles to 28 points. Graham may very well win the game if Giles starts as slow as they did against Narrows but Graham has shown no ability to stop the single wing in the past. Giles also has a history of having a difficult time after a bye week. I see a shootout.

Giles 49 Graham 35
Excuse me, but Narrows held Giles to 28 points... just saying.

I think the score will be low. No indication that either team is going to blow it up. I don't think either get into the 40's. I know 30's isn't low, but these are two solid offenses. This game is down to who screws up on coverage/assignment first. It may be hard to get a lead after letting in a quick score.
I think they both get into the 30's or 40's.... Graham can score quickly. Graham has had trouble in the past with the single wing. This isn't the same Graham team as the past few years.... Like i said, last year, they were in position to make plays, they just didn't make them. we'll see if they make them this year.

I'm a realist...Giles has beat graham the last several years.....not easily but with enough conviction that everyone knew who the better team was....after watching graham against Richlands I'll say graham definitely has more speed than giles....should have beat Richlands but coaching made a difference.....if giles can keep it close with long sustained drives they have a chance....from what I've seen graham is the better team but every week is a new game...you never know....turnovers...coaching...lots of things matter....but speed is definitely on the side of graham this year..

Giles 49 Graham 35

They may very well score more than that. Just my prediction. Richlands scored 42 on them last year in the first half and were held to 31 the whole game this year with basically the same offense. By no means am i saying they will shut the wing down but they are much improved on defense.

Excuse me, but Narrows held Giles to 28 points... just saying.
" Giles scored more on Graham last year than they did against Narrows------just saying." You got to remember, those kids from Giles and Narrows play against each other from about the age of 8 on up through high school. Narrows should be better prepared to slow Giles offense than most teams

Well, you are actually both correct. Last year is over. And Giles did score more on Graham in that aforementioned terminated year. If you would like, we can continue to list some more obvious things. Linemen are big. Touchdowns are better than field goals. Meatloaf's new album is AMAZING! The list goes on and on...

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Well, you are actually both correct. Last year is over. And Giles did score more on Graham in that aforementioned terminated year. If you would like, we can continue to list some more obvious things. Linemen are big. Touchdowns are better than field goals. Meatloaf's new album is AMAZING! The list goes on and on...

And none of that has anything to do with the game..... just like a personal attack. It's a bunch of kids playing a game, some take it a tad too serious. I like talking about the matchups as good as the next person, but I'll refrain from attacking somebody personally.

Narrows did a very nice job in the game last week. Giles historically plays poorly coming off a bye week. I am saying Giles will get the single wing rolling again tonight.

But you did-to Wingo DIngo...then wanted to take the high ground...and removed it. (I saw it, as I'm sure he did) Let's not feign superiority after the fact here. You just didn't like being called out on your time in the gutter. Enjoy the game, Boys.

And none of that has anything to do with the game..... just like a personal attack. It's a bunch of kids playing a game, some take it a tad too serious. I like talking about the matchups as good as the next person, but I'll refrain from attacking somebody personally.
The only reason I made that response, was because in previous posts, you stated that Graham was in position to make plays last year against Giles, but failed to make them. If that's what you saw, fine. But when I put forth a fact about last year, your response was "last year's over". Can't have it both ways

I will be the first to eat crow. Graham did a great job making Giles grind. Giles could never get that break away score. Congrats to Graham. They have some very talented backs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT