ADVERTISEMENT

Battlefield (9-2) @ Lake Braddock (10-1)

GurskyT

VaPreps All Region
Aug 11, 2005
Not too much talk going on about the playoffs but I think this is the most intriguing game in the second round of 6A. Battlefield will enter this game as the definite underdog, but I feel like their defense will be a good match for the single-wing style offense that Lake Braddock runs, should they come out and try to run the ball on Battlefield.

I have seen both teams play only once, but the advantage for Lake Braddock is that their offense seems to be equally as dangerous when they spread it out and throw the ball, whereas the pass attack for the Battlefield offense is not quite the strength that it was a season ago. This does reflect the total amount of points scored by both teams - Lake Braddock had 400+ points scored at the end of the regular season compared to the 278 points that Battlefield scored. Still, Battlefield allowed the fewest points on the season out of any of the cardinal district or Prince William County teams, and the 136 points they have allowed thus far is the fewest out of any team Lake Braddock has faced this season.

You can also turn around and say that the same thing as Lake Braddock has scored the most points and allowed the fewest out of any team Battlefield has played. I think it will be important that Battlefield does not fall down in a hole early against Lake Braddock. I watched the replay of the South County game was surprised how quickly they went up on SoCo in the first half. Both teams should present different challenges to each other, I think Battlefield will come to play a physical game and if they can avoid letting Lake Braddock break off the big plays they are accustomed to, and generate balance on offense it could be a close game.

I agree with you that this is the most interesting game of this round and I also agree with your analysis. I have not had an opportunity to see either team, so most of what I know is second hand. I have been told that Lake Braddock comes out of the gate strong, but that they have at least several two way players and if pushed hard that tends to tire them out (team wise) later in the game. Robinson fell behind 21-0 in the first half but the final score was 21-14. South County trailed 27-7 but managed to win in OT. Both of those opponents are strong teams, so that may be an indicator. If true, then I believe that if Battlefield can keep it close, avoid costly mistakes and/or get Lake Braddock to make a few mistakes, then Battlefield's chances improve significantly.

Last edited:
I have seen Battlefield play several times. Very strong defense both against the pass and the run -- most of the limited points they have given up have been against their 2nd team defense at the end of blowouts. They might be a little undersized up front (not sure any D starter is much over 200 lbs), but noone has really exposed that yet. Offensively, they have several capable running backs and a solid line. Their best offensive player is WR Zac Kerxton (25 TD catches last season), but unfortunately their QBs have been unable to consistently get him the ball downfield this season. Battlefield also has excellent special teams (good kicker, good returns). Another factor is Prince William football is really down this year and Battlefield just hasn't had that many tough games and opponents.

I have been told that Lake Braddock comes out of the gate strong, but that they have at least several two way players and if pushed hard that tends to tire them out (team wise) later in the game. Robinson fell behind 21-0 in the first half but the final score was 21-14. South County trailed 27-7 but managed to win in OT.

Yeah that is interesting to note. I forgot that they were up on Robinson that much early before they got back into that game. If a few teams have already played Lake Braddock close I think Battlefield should be more than capable of doing the same; unless Lake Braddock comes out on fire like Centreville did on Battlefield last year.

Offensively, they have several capable running backs and a solid line. Their best offensive player is WR Zac Kerxton (25 TD catches last season), but unfortunately their QBs have been unable to consistently get him the ball downfield this season.

They should do it all with Kerxton on Friday. Take some shots downfield, line him at QB, use him as a decoy as well.

Battlefield doesn't really have anyone who plays full time both ways. A few of their skill players (RB/WR/DB) do play some on each side of the ball. One advantage of having 200 boys out for football is they do have some depth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT