ADVERTISEMENT

Battlefield after Week 8

FoxesPride

VaPreps Varsity
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2017
#1 Eastern View (8-0, 4-0)
I think the gap between EV and the rest of the Battlefield is closing, but they are still the clear #1. They have a bye this coming week. It might get a little interesting with Chancellor the last week of the season. I do hope they get healthy in time for the playoffs.

Bye

#2 Chancellor (5-3, 3-1)
I would have had Spotsylvania here, but given the results since these two played I think Chancellor is the better team right now. They close with JM and EV. The last game of the year with EV might be good.

This week: Chancellor over JM.

#3 Spotsylvania (5-2, 2-1)
I don’t know what to make of this team. They lose to Brentsville (down their best player, I know), squeak by Courtland, and lose to JM. In the middle of all that they beat a pretty good Chancellor team by a couple of scores.

This week: they get back on track and beat Caroline.

#4 James Monroe (4-3, 2-1)
JM has found a way to win some close Battlefield games. I know they just beat Spotsylvania, but I just feel that Spotsylvania is the better team. JM closes out with three Battlefield games in a row and I think they win 2 out of those three, but not this week.

This week: JM goes down to Chancellor.

#5 King George (3-4, 0-3)
King George has lost the close ones and if they want to be considered good they have to figure out a way to close those games out. They have completed the toughest part of their schedule and have a chance to win out and make the playoffs.

This week: they get the W vs Courtland.

#6 Courtland (1-7, 0-4)
Courtland is clearly in rebuilding mode and will undoubtedly be back strong next year. They close out with two tough games and might be able to win either of them. Losing their best player has really hurt their chances to compete with Chancellor and I think that trend may continue. JC will use this experience to make them better next year.

This week: Courtland loses to KG

#7 Caroline (1-6, 1-2)
From what I saw the last couple of years on the sideline and from what I have heard others say, Caroline is a scrappy team that fights hard to end. Perhaps they just don’t have the horses this year, but I think, given time their coach will have them improving. Congrats to them on the big win over Courtland, unfortunately they may their only win. They will push Spotsy, KG, and JM so we will see.

This week: Spotsy with the bounce back win over Caroline.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7time
I agree with all that but would flip Courtland and Caroline

I agree with all that but would flip Courtland and Caroline
yeah, that was tough, everyone is beating everyone else and I have teams ranked above teams that beat them. Crazy year in the Battlefield. I gave Courtland the benefit of the doubt since they lost their best player early in that game and that probably had a pyschological impact. I think 2-5 are pretty tight, and 6-7 are interchangeable. I think there will be more separation next year.

Reactions: OCBoy
I watched spotsy play Monticello and by looking at them I’ll say they had a decent run game and Monticello isn’t good at all they’ve won one game but I can’t see Ev losing to no team in them Battlefield, chancellor is the only team that keep it a close game but not sure they’ll win

Reactions: FoxesPride
I watched spotsy play Monticello and by looking at them I’ll say they had a decent run game and Monticello isn’t good at all they’ve won one game but I can’t see Ev losing to no team in them Battlefield, chancellor is the only team that keep it a close game but not sure they’ll win
You be everywhere.

You be everywhere.
Lol I do sometimes I’m a boring person I watched high football depending on what area I’m at during the weekend but I like to watch teams that’s gonna play teams I like to watch play Louisa, highland springs, Ev, teams that’s normally makes the playoffs each year, by watching others teams it’s sometimes gives u a better idea on what teams can do , for instance I watched ec glass play Charlottesville and they were very good

I can’t see Chancellor coming into EV’s house and winning the last regular season game. Hats off to them if they do.
I agree here. I hear Spotsylvania is hit hard with injuries which explains some of the Jekyll and Hyde results this season. Word around the area is Chancellor lost a handful of starters to grades and have brought up a bunch of freshman. With the reported injuries to EV it looks like there’s a lot of questions surrounding those three teams.

Just a stat on EV....last year through 8 games avg. 52-pts/game and gave up 9-10 pts/game. This year avg 47-pts/game and give up 7-pts/game.

Calling it now KG wins out and makes playoffs.
Caroline, Courtland should be two wins for KG. Spotsy will be a close game with a lot of meaning behind it for both teams. Spotsy has Caroline, EV and KG. Game of the week written all over it. JM may have shown Battlefield how to stop their single wing?

EV was so much better than everyone last year that I think if you look at halftime scores between this year and last, you would get a better idea of the spread between the teams. I think they took their foot off the throttle a lot sooner last year.

Reactions: one man
Caroline, Courtland should be two wins for KG. Spotsy will be a close game with a lot of meaning behind it for both teams. Spotsy has Caroline, EV and KG. Game of the week written all over it. JM may have shown Battlefield how to stop their single wing?

With the injuries they just sustained and losing some key members like the Center, I think they will have a hard time.

Is EV that much "worse" or are teams just getting better? EV's defense is faster than it was last year. I am unsure if they are as physical as last year but they are definitely faster! They swarm to the football! Enough talk about EV Dinwiddie will be scary coming to anyone first round. I was at the Hopewell game friday and they are good their defense is spotty but if it clicks at the right time look for them to go on a run!

EV is no where near last year at being physical. The DLine last year were a bunch of MEN...
Those two d-ends completely shut us down last year, the were indeed men amongst boys. Big difference up front this year for sure. I think we actually out rushed them this year.

Is EV that much "worse" or are teams just getting better?
A bit of both. EV is more undisciplined than last year, which may bite them. They aren't as deep either, so the injuries they suffered last week are big time for them. The other Battlefield teams are improving and catching up to them. Next year we'll see a change at the top of the district, IMO.
Dinwiddie will be scary coming to anyone first round. I was at the Hopewell game friday and they are good their defense is spotty but if it clicks at the right time look for them to go on a run!
As long as they avoid a relentlessly physical rushing attack (past examples: 2014 LT, 2015 Hanover twice, 2016 Salem, 2017 Louisa, 2019 Ponax), they might upset a higher seed.

A bit of both. EV is more undisciplined than last year, which may bite them. They aren't as deep either, so the injuries they suffered last week are big time for them. The other Battlefield teams are improving and catching up to them. Next year we'll see a change at the top of the district, IMO.
As long as they avoid a relentlessly physical rushing attack (past examples: 2014 LT, 2015 Hanover twice, 2016 Salem, 2017 Louisa, 2019 Ponax), they might upset a higher seed.
I think you will see that EV will still be very solid next year. Biggest question will be QB. Still a lot of talent there.

Reactions: FoxesPride
I’ll agree dinwiddie is a team to watch I watched the full game on YouTube against Hopewell and they pretty much were in the game until the 4 th qtr, that’s a team nobody wouldn’t want to face in the first round there defense looks solid to, I still at the end of the It’s still Ev and Louisa in the championship game , the question is is Ev Qb can run or avoid being sacked a lot or is he real athletic, He better be if he can’t run or if ev can’t run the ball on Louisa he’s in for a long night trying to pass all night I’m not sure it’s gonna work on Louisa I watched online the Caroline game and they stacked the box on Ev and they had to pass, but Caroline secondary is very bad so they had success passing I think it’s good that Ev play Chancellor the last game this yr because they haven’t been tested yet.

I’ll agree dinwiddie is a team to watch I watched the full game on YouTube against Hopewell and they pretty much were in the game until the 4 th qtr, that’s a team nobody wouldn’t want to face in the first round there defense looks solid to, I still at the end of the It’s still Ev and Louisa in the championship game , the question is is Ev Qb can run or avoid being sacked a lot or is he real athletic, He better be if he can’t run or if ev can’t run the ball on Louisa he’s in for a long night trying to pass all night I’m not sure it’s gonna work on Louisa I watched online the Caroline game and they stacked the box on Ev and they had to pass, but Caroline secondary is very bad so they had success passing I think it’s good that Ev play Chancellor the last game this yr because they haven’t been tested yet.

chancellor is a different team. Scott is off the team and they’ve lost 3-4 starters due to grades. They’ll be in big trouble. KG gave Chancellor all they wanted but Chancellor got 2 QB TDs by pulling out the back door. EV is way to disciplined to let that happen. I’ll call it at 48-7.

chancellor is a different team. Scott is off the team and they’ve lost 3-4 starters due to grades. They’ll be in big trouble. KG gave Chancellor all they wanted but Chancellor got 2 QB TDs by pulling out the back door. EV is way to disciplined to let that happen. I’ll call it at 48-7.
So how does it work with players grades now-a-days? Are they done for the season? Can they not get them back up and rejoin the team?

First report card benches them and aren’t eligible till second report card. That’s the way it is in Spotsylvania
Is that Spotsylvania HS policy or County policy? Not trying to challenge just wondering what kind of autonomy each school has in a multi-high school county.

So how does it work with players grades now-a-days? Are they done for the season? Can they not get them back up and rejoin the team?
With block scheduling in KG the players eligibility is completely tied to the Spring Semester. The coach can certainly discipline the players for their Fall grades, but he doesn't have to. They have to "pass" three out of four classes in the Spring to be eligible for Fall sports.

With block scheduling in KG the players eligibility is completely tied to the Spring Semester. The coach can certainly discipline the players for their Fall grades, but he doesn't have to. They have to "pass" three out of four classes in the Spring to be eligible for Fall sports.
That's how I remembered it....basketball was the team that usually took the hit

To to change the subject , but because you guys are familiar with at region. What should Sherando expect from a Culpeper team coming to Sherando this week? Strengths and weaknesses . Sorry for interrupting

To to change the subject , but because you guys are familiar with at region. What should Sherando expect from a Culpeper team coming to Sherando this week? Strengths and weaknesses . Sorry for interrupting
Don’t know much about Sherando, but if they have any kind of secondary, put 8 in the box and dare Culpeper to throw it. Current QB is a good athlete but throws a ton of picks. Culpeper offense is not very dynamic. They play hard though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT