ADVERTISEMENT

Best Football City or County in Virginia

City: Salem
County: Campbell

Makes a lot of sense Danville. I know you posted the same county and I agree. Made me think about it and every school in the county can claim a state championship. I am sure there are other really good counties out there.

City: Salem
County: Campbell

Makes a lot of sense Danville. I know you posted the same county and I agree. Made me think about it and every school in the county can claim a state championship. I am sure there are other really good counties out there.
William Campbell, Altavista, and Brookville all had some crazy good teams in recent years with rings to prove it. Rustburg from my understanding had some great teams in the 90s and won state in 2000? That’s big for a small county.

I'm aware that the City of Hampton has: Hampton High 17 rings/Phoebus 7 rings/Bethel 3 rings for a total of 27 titles!

I wasn't not aware that Salem had such a rich history, what schools in Salem have won states and how many titles?
Salem is the only school in the city. They have won 9 titles since 96. Before SHS the school was Andrew Lewis they won a couple of titles at the old AAA level back in the 60's.

Just looking at titles:

City of Hampton-27 (Hampton 17, Phoebus 7, Bethel 3)

Campbell Co-11 (Altavista 3, Brookville 3, Rustburg 3, William Campbell 2)

I know that's the most for a city, idk about the county.

I've had it good growing up in Campbell Co and now living in Salem. I've seen a lot of championship teams!

Reactions: Panther80ram
Best city or county should not be measured by state titles alone. Financial support and attendance home and away is also a huge factor. That's why I have Salem ahead of Hampton

Only one high school in Salem. Citizens do an unbelievable job supporting their football team. Best facilities, Best coaching, large following home or away.

Of course me being from NOVA, I am surprised not to see:

Centreville
Fairfax county

Home of westfields and centreville high. Big boy schools but the post is Best in Virginia.
In the last 30 years, Fairfax County has won 14 of 30 D6 state championships. If you add in PW County (NOVA, minus Loudon since they haven't had any D6 schools until now) that number rises to 20 of 30.

In the last 30 years, Fairfax County has won 14 of 30 D6 state championships. If you add in PW County (NOVA, minus Loudon since they haven't had any D6 schools until now) that number rises to 20 of 30.

This is a nice achievement the only caveat I would point out is there is really isn't any 6a teams outside of NOVA and 757. Not anyone's fault, just is what it is. I would say that bc of this, D5 is historically the best football in the state and hsould be the measuring stick. I would have to agree that Hampton has the greatest history. . The most individual talent historically has probably come out of the 757 also.

If we are talking about right now... IDK that is a tough one. I feel like it is more balanced than it has ever been statewide.

This is a nice achievement the only caveat I would point out is there is really isn't any 6a teams outside of NOVA and 757. Not anyone's fault, just is what it is. I would say that bc of this, D5 is historically the best football in the state and hsould be the measuring stick. I would have to agree that Hampton has the greatest history. . The most individual talent historically has probably come out of the 757 also.

If we are talking about right now... IDK that is a tough one. I feel like it is more balanced than it has ever been statewide.
I agree that currently that the state is balanced. I believe that this year NOVA and the 757 were neck and neck with having the most players drafted this year in the NFL. I think that platforms such as Grassroots/FBU/Crab Bowl/ Youth Spring Football will continue to help the NOVA area improve their individual talent. I believe that will trickle down to the 804 in about another 3-4 yrs with Charles Scott's CVA Hurricane national youth travel program . In the 757 the Virginia Beach kids have really stepped it up a notch when it comes to training and committing to working on their craft. Their work ethic is remarkable. The 757 Colts travel football program has given a lot of Chesapeake youth a platform to condition and train year round too, they have a stable (no pun intended) of hungry ball players. Norfolk demographically has a ton of youth in their city limits. I think they have the best young talent in the area with Katron Evans (Granby) Rodney Hammonds (BTW) Malik Newman (Lake Taylor) Marqeese Dietz and Josh Johnson (Norview). Those are four guys from the class of 2021 within one city that are going to be D1 recruits plus more to come within that class and the 2022 class. Kaytron Allen 2022 (Norview) is going to be another good young player in Norfolk. On the PD Hampton and Newport News have to pick it up. It appears that a lot of young talent have lost interest or have opted to play other sports particular basketball full time. There is not very much unity to support any platforms for the kids that are serious about developing their craft at young ages. It's a shame because their is way too much tradition to allow our youth to fall to violence and sedimentary lifestyles.

I agree that currently that the state is balanced. I believe that this year NOVA and the 757 were neck and neck with having the most players drafted this year in the NFL. I think that platforms such as Grassroots/FBU/Crab Bowl/ Youth Spring Football will continue to help the NOVA area improve their individual talent. I believe that will trickle down to the 804 in about another 3-4 yrs with Charles Scott's CVA Hurricane national youth travel program . In the 757 the Virginia Beach kids have really stepped it up a notch when it comes to training and committing to working on their craft. Their work ethic is remarkable. The 757 Colts travel football program has given a lot of Chesapeake youth a platform to condition and train year round too, they have a stable (no pun intended) of hungry ball players. Norfolk demographically has a ton of youth in their city limits. I think they have the best young talent in the area with Katron Evans (Granby) Rodney Hammonds (BTW) Malik Newman (Lake Taylor) Marqeese Dietz and Josh Johnson (Norview). Those are four guys from the class of 2021 within one city that are going to be D1 recruits plus more to come within that class and the 2022 class. Kaytron Allen 2022 (Norview) is going to be another good young player in Norfolk. On the PD Hampton and Newport News have to pick it up. It appears that a lot of young talent have lost interest or have opted to play other sports particular basketball full time. There is not very much unity to support any platforms for the kids that are serious about developing their craft at young ages. It's a shame because their is way too much tradition to allow our youth to fall to violence and sedimentary lifestyles.

Really well said on a lot of levels... when it comes to D5 Recently richmond rules though. There is a ton of talent. I think 804 might be leading the pack in that department the last couple of years. I also have to remember that bishop Sullivan watered down the beach district... 757 has been down recently outside of a select few schools... and your exactly right about the peninsula... what the heck happened over there??? I think Elton Brown (former NFL guy) has or had a team for the youth? Also, one of my family members is on a traveling team there and is a rising 9th grader at Keco... no idea how to spell that.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Really well said on a lot of levels... when it comes to D5 Recently richmond rules though. There is a ton of talent. I think 804 might be leading the pack in that department the last couple of years. I also have to remember that bishop Sullivan watered down the beach district... 757 has been down recently outside of a select few schools... and your exactly right about the peninsula... what the heck happened over there??? I think Elton Brown (former NFL guy) has or had a team for the youth? Also, one of my family members is on a traveling team there and is a rising 9th grader at Keco... no idea how to spell that.
I think it's Kecoughtan. I knew someone that graduated there and she said they pronounced it like Kick a tan IIRC.

I think it's Kecoughtan. I knew someone that graduated there and she said they pronounced it like Kick a tan IIRC.
That’s exactly how u pronounce it. Just like Poquoson is Pa-co-son. Kecoughtan kick-uh-tan

Last edited:
Reactions: mike salem
I'm a bit envious that some of you guys got to see so many great historical games. I'm mostly restricted to Youtube replays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT