ADVERTISEMENT

Best Football in VA?

What jumped out out me is there is no utter domination. I like that. I'm not remotely, " everyone gets a trophy", but I like the fact that the big picture proves that anyone can achieve.

Have you played with the numbers a bit and weighted the results according to teams in an area code? I wonder how the results would shift.

I'll take this opportunity to thank you and your staff at Virginia Preps for giving a voice to Virginia high school sports, and football in particular. You get slapped around sometimes, but I think you know that the overwhelming majority appreciate what you do, and what you cause to be done. Along those lines, I hope you don't get too sensitive to some of the outlandish criticism, and then fail to reconize when certain criticisms truly are constructive, or at least have merit. You know the old saying. "It's hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp when you are up to your ass in alligators".

Good job, and God speed.

DP

Originally posted by DinwiddieProud:
What jumped out out me is there is no utter domination. I like that. I'm not remotely, " everyone gets a trophy", but I like the fact that the big picture proves that anyone can achieve.

Have you played with the numbers a bit and weighted the results according to teams in an area code? I wonder how the results would shift.

I'll take this opportunity to thank you and your staff at Virginia Preps for giving a voice to Virginia high school sports, and football in particular. You get slapped around sometimes, but I think you know that the overwhelming majority appreciate what you do, and what you cause to be done. Along those lines, I hope you don't get too sensitive to some of the outlandish criticism, and then fail to reconize when certain criticisms truly are constructive, or at least have merit. You know the old saying. "It's hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp when you are up to your ass in alligators".

Good job, and God speed.

DP
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words from a subscriber. We're working harder than ever now at expanding our reach into different avenues for bringing more stories from around the state to you.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the bolded part, can you explain further?

One interesting thing my new ratings seem to be showing is not so much about a region, but about the divisions (it's very hard to compare regions when there were so few match-ups in AAA for so long--basically we can only say who had the strongest regional champs--which is a much different question).

Until they realigned the difference in the average 5A team and 4A was pretty close to none. Not surprising because the difference enrollments in those two divisions was pretty close to none also. Right now I've only done 1999, 2000, 2009-2014, but in those six years I've done before realignment the average D5 team's ratings was 59, but the average D4 team's rating was 57. So the average D5 was only 2 points better than D4. It might end up even closer, as I think some of the years I haven't computed yet were even stronger for D4.

What we really had going, in my opinion was two AA classes co-existing, but not interacting much. When I finish all the numbers I'll write about it.

You stated the valley had more programs, so they had a higher chance of leading some of the catagories. Matt is a heck of a lot more capable of speaking to this than I am. But, I think you can make the chances equal by using some factor before then looking at the outcome. For instance, if 540 has 200 programs, and 804 has 50, the odds of having better end results from 540 are significantly better. I know there are ways to make this an apples to apples, but it is out of my league.

If you want to know what the NEC says about an electrical calculation, I can help, but Matt lost me on his ratings explanation at, "let me explain".

I'm sorry but I don't agree that the old D5 champs were even or a small bit ahead or even behind then the D4 champ. Just don't see it.

Originally posted by DinwiddieProud:
You stated the valley had more programs, so they had a higher chance of leading some of the catagories. Matt is a heck of a lot more capable of speaking to this than I am. But, I think you can make the chances equal by using some factor before then looking at the outcome. For instance, if 540 has 200 programs, and 804 has 50, the odds of having better end results from 540 are significantly better. I know there are ways to make this an apples to apples, but it is out of my league.

If you want to know what the NEC says about an electrical calculation, I can help, but Matt lost me on his ratings explanation at, "let me explain".
Okay, yeah that makes sense now.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the juice is worth the squeeze to figure out things down to that level.

Got some other interesting ideas to work on though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT