ADVERTISEMENT

Bird vs. Manchester

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
I've strictly been a score watcher for these two teams this year, but this, in my mind, is the biggest game in the Dominion District in a long, long time. There have been games for the district title when the title actually mattered for playoff purposes and games where I don't think Bird was even favored, but this one has got to be really big to both teams.

Don't think that district title doesn't matter. I don't know that Manchester has ever won an outright title and Bird has won eleventy-four in a row. I think that title is gigantic to both teams. I also don't think there has ever been a Dominion District game where the two teams were better. Bird was probably a better team the last two years, but otherwise this might still be the best Bird team ever. They seem to have really gotten their passing game going the last three weeks and nobody is moving the ball worth squat on them (other than Lake Taylor). The major thing I have noticed looking at stats is that their penalty yards have disappeared the last two weeks. If Bird runs out the season only getting 5 or 6 penalties a game, then look out! Manchester has played nearly perfect ball all year and their defense is fantastic. They have been knocking on the door quite a while now and they seem to finally have all the pieces together. I am in no way convinced they should be ranked behind anyone in the old Central Region. I would not be surprised if this is only the first of two games between these squads and somebody is going to get a zillion power points out of this one. I don't think anyone will be surprised to see either team still playing for a few weeks after Friday.

Good luck to my good buddy, Tom Hall, and to all of my great friends at L.C. Bird. I think I'm going to have to do the I-64 to I-288 drive this week.

Originally posted by GilliamRatings:

Bird was probably a better team the last two years, but otherwise this might still be the best Bird team ever.
For opposing views to this opinion, see the 4A Board.

I can't find of what you speak on the 4A board, but I don't think Bird this year is quite the team they were the past two years, but hey, you don't get to claim you're better than an undefeated state champion unless you're an undefeated state champion, I suppose.

I do think Bird has put it together and is playing very similar to last year's team. The defense is still spectacular and the air game is coming along very quickly now. I'd say the turnovers are still a problem, but over the last two weeks they may have fewer penalties than in any two game stretch in the last ten years. I think they'll be a very tough out if you're not getting the help of 100 yards in penalties against them.

All that being said, I think Manchester feels to me like Bird did two years ago. They feel like they're destined to do big things. I consistently pull for both teams, and I'm sure at least one of them will be playing for a few more weeks.

On the 4a board basically LT isn't as good as people think and they didn't look impressive against a "down" Bird team.

This is not the Bird team of the last 2 years. They are quite young compared to the State Championship teams and not as solid defensively but they are still good and get the job done.They are tough on the ground and decent in the air but they will have to come together pretty fast going into these playoffs .Though they have as good a chance as anybody in these playoffs you get the feeling that next years team will be even better. As far as Manchester this is probably the best team that Tom Halls had since he's been there. They are very big up front have some playmakers. They do have some injuries as does Bird but both have done a fine job keeping it going. Manchester defense as been stellar all the way around. Going to be a good one . Bird 24 Manchester 20.

This post was edited on 11/5 9:00 AM by prime221

This post was edited on 11/5 9:03 AM by prime221

This post was edited on 11/5 9:04 AM by prime221

Won't be close

Unless Manchester has vastly improved since the MBK game (game that MBK wins if they could get it in from inside the five on four straight plays). Manchester was a one trick pony on offense. Granted, that pony was VERY talented. But, they were solely dependant on the individual skills of one player. Again, things may have changed. But, Bird will stuff them defensively, and score at least four touchdowns. I have Bird 35 to 6.

As to this being a big game, yeah, not so much, especially for coaches and upper classman used to the old system. It's just another game between two good teams with virtually nothing that matters on the line. Yay new system.........
This post was edited on 11/6 2:12 PM by GoMBKMonarchs

Re: Won't be close

I don't think the game will be nearly that wide of a margin. Bird and Manchester almost always play tight games no matter the records and this year should be no different. It's a big game because of playoff seeding. Old system both teams would probably be in the playoffs anyway if I'm correct and definitely if bird and manchester were to both be 9-1. If not, then that would be good support for the playoff expansion (leaving 1 loss teams out). I believe it will be senior night at Manchester so I've got Manchester playing inspired football and winning 21-14. Isn't Manchester the last team to beat Bird in the regular season besides Lake Taylor this year?

Before Lake Taylor beat Bird this season, Manchester was indeed the last to beat the Skyhawks in the regular season. In 2011 they beat LC Bird 21-13.

Here's a little nugget... 2006 was the last time the Skyhawks lost two regular season games.and they have only lost three regular season games since; 2008, 2011 and of course this season.

Originally posted by GilliamRatings:
You guys aren't fans of football, your fans of the playoffs. It's a shame. Football is an awesome game.
I actually am a fan of football and I hate this playoff format. Games like MBK/Dale or Highland Springs/Varina used to have an intensity that really mattered. Now that we've let everyone in, it's old fans that are hyping it more than the actual teams themselves. Meadowbrook is either going to finish 6-4 or 5-5, but they are in the playoffs. MBK is pretty much guarenteed to go no worse than 5-5 every year. The intensity of the October football game is now gone.

When two teams are closely matched , I go with the big gamers , Bird 21 Manchester 17 .

What do I know?????

Obviously, I shouldn't have passed judgment on a team I saw once early in the season. Manchester should have lost to an average MBK team, and they really didn't look good at all. Yet, tonight, they beat Bird. Even if they hadn't pulled it out on the last play, they went toe to toe and won the Dominion, for what that's worth these days. Congratulations. Clearly they are better than I was giving them credit for.

Re: What do I know?????

Is Bird this juggernaut of a team? I don't think so guys. Everyone is thinking of 2 Bird teams in the PAST not this years team. Manchester is a great team and they deserved to win. They won it on the field. However, with no disrespect , this very well could be a 7-3 Bird team if TD finishes the job in the last 2 seconds. The rest of their schedule is weak so they were not tested throughout the year. Good job to Manchester and all of the coaching staff. Great job and way to finish!
This post was edited on 11/8 9:10 AM by nohokies69

wow does this mean LT is not as strong as they appear ? Is Manchester 4a or 5a?

Baby D is always taking shots at LT. He's still living off the Percy Harvin days. Landstown hasn't been relevant since Chris Beatty walked away.

lol I got my ring while I was there , whats going on now '' Football Program" doesn't matter much to me since I didn't graduate from there I graduated in California

What can I say Landstown hired 2 great coaches then after Beatty pretty much they lost the program since everyone there now transfers to Ocean Lakes lol till this day I wonder why they picked Reamon over Rainey whose the D-LIne and D Coordinator at Ocean Lakes doing the same heck of a job over there just like Landstown days having a top defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT