ADVERTISEMENT

Blacksburg @ Phoebus

Who wins

• Blacksburg

Votes: 34 51.5%
  • Phoebus

Votes: 32 48.5%

• Total voters
Also, I have a feeling teams like Phoebus would really struggle with Salem's schedule. Staunton River is the number 1 ranked team in 3A on maxpreps at 12-1 and guess who their one loss was too....William Byrd, who lost to Salem TWICE this year. Not trying to throw any shade on those Norfolk area team but I just think the Roanoke area schedules are harder.

Interesting post, but I don't see how you can really compare schedules and make that assumption. Also by saying Norfolk area teams you are stretching it. For comparison sake, if one was to consider the distance covered by the "Roanoke area" (Roanoke, Salem, Lynchburg, New River Valley) schedules you would have to basically include the entire Tidewater area (Norfolk, Hampton, VA Beach). If that is the case then you are incorrect. If you are comparing Phoebus schedule to Salem by strength (Cal Preps, VHSL Reference) you be incorrect as well. Please don't think I am being negative about Salem or any Roanoke area teams. I grew up there and respect the heck out of the football in the area. Just something to think about. I really enjoy your post, so please don't take this an attack.

Lets take a look at this. Consider the hypothetical best teams (playoff teams) from the River Ridge, Blue Ridge, and Seminole and put them against the Peninsula, Eastern and Southeastern (playoff teams). Mind you these districts join by land and are a much smaller area (land mass) than the "Roanoke area". Just for the fun of it we will call it Southwest versus Tidewater.

Southwest: Hypothetical River Ridge-Salem, PH, Blacksburg, Pulaski, Blue Ridge-William Byrd, Staunton River, LB, Seminole-Amherst, Rustburg, Heritage

Tidewater: Peninsula-Hampton (5a), Woodside (6a), Phoebus (3a) Heritage NN (4a), Eastern-Lake Taylor (4a), Norview (5a), Southeastern- Oscar Smith (6a), Grassfield (6a), Western Branch (6a) and Indian River (5).

With the information above lets do a hypothetical playoff based on current playoff advancement. Just my opinion of where people land 1-10. Ran simulation.

#1 Salem vs. Oscar Smith Smith wins
#2 Staunton River vs. Norview Norview wins
#3 William Byrd vs. Lake Taylor LT wins (close)
#4 Blacksburg vs. Phoebus Phoebus wins
#5 Amherst vs. Hampton Hampton wins
#6 Rustburg vs. Grassfield Grassfield wins (close)
#7 PH vs. Western Branch Western Branch wins
#8 Heritage vs. Woodside Woodside wins
#9 Pulaski vs. Heritage NN Heritage wins
#LB vs. Indian River Indian River wins

Interesting post, but I don't see how you can really compare schedules and make that assumption. Also by saying Norfolk area teams you are stretching it. For comparison sake, if one was to consider the distance covered by the "Roanoke area" (Roanoke, Salem, Lynchburg, New River Valley) schedules you would have to basically include the entire Tidewater area (Norfolk, Hampton, VA Beach). If that is the case then you are incorrect. If you are comparing Phoebus schedule to Salem by strength (Cal Preps, VHSL Reference) you be incorrect as well. Please don't think I am being negative about Salem or any Roanoke area teams. I grew up there and respect the heck out of the football in the area. Just something to think about. I really enjoy your post, so please don't take this an attack.

Lets take a look at this. Consider the hypothetical best teams (playoff teams) from the River Ridge, Blue Ridge, and Seminole and put them against the Peninsula, Eastern and Southeastern (playoff teams). Mind you these districts join by land and are a much smaller area (land mass) than the "Roanoke area". Just for the fun of it we will call it Southwest versus Tidewater.

Southwest: Hypothetical River Ridge-Salem, PH, Blacksburg, Pulaski, Blue Ridge-William Byrd, Staunton River, LB, Seminole-Amherst, Rustburg, Heritage

Tidewater: Peninsula-Hampton (5a), Woodside (6a), Phoebus (3a) Heritage NN (4a), Eastern-Lake Taylor (4a), Norview (5a), Southeastern- Oscar Smith (6a), Grassfield (6a), Western Branch (6a) and Indian River (5).

With the information above lets do a hypothetical playoff based on current playoff advancement. Just my opinion of where people land 1-10. Ran simulation.

#1 Salem vs. Oscar Smith Smith wins
#2 Staunton River vs. Norview Norview wins
#3 William Byrd vs. Lake Taylor LT wins (close)
#4 Blacksburg vs. Phoebus Phoebus wins
#5 Amherst vs. Hampton Hampton wins
#6 Rustburg vs. Grassfield Grassfield wins (close)
#7 PH vs. Western Branch Western Branch wins
#8 Heritage vs. Woodside Woodside wins
#9 Pulaski vs. Heritage NN Heritage wins
#LB vs. Indian River Indian River wins

I got you Navy. I didn't take it as an attack at all. Great post. I just thought that those Roanoke-Lynchburg teams have a harder schedule but you just changed my mind.

Maybe these teams would if the vhsl would get off some of that money and pay the traveling costs

Get off what money? The VHSL has operated at a loss for the last 2 years. You honestly think the VHSL would pay for someone's regular season travel cost?? Where would you draw the line - teams going to Florida for games? Who determines if the game is quality enough for the VHSL to pay for travel (If Salem (Roanoke) wants to schedule Gloucester then the VHSL should help with travel - I don't think so.

In no way should the VHSL get involved in paying for any regular season travel costs for any sport.

Reactions: obguthr and HooaCav
Matt Gilliam posted this after last year's 4A championship game. I think it perfectly addresses the east vs. west issue. I have added some emphasis, in bold.

"I really think this was the biggest statement game ever for the Spartans. They were undeniably the best AA program in the state year in and year out before realignment. Then Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor drop down and have these juggernaut teams. The conventional wisdom was that it would take years before the west caught up. I think this win, especially after the game last year, proves something to the entire state, and more importantly to the entire Salem community. This is the second time in three years since realignment that no 757 team won a title. Anyone remember before the first season when they were claiming the southeast would win all six?

I consider this win by Salem as the final blow in the Southeast superiority myth. They're just another area of the state with football that's no better than anywhere else. Yes, they tend to have a few powerhouses that dominate, but that seems to be more a function of the fact that there is no parity down there than that the average football team, coach, or player is any better than in Mountains, or the Piedmont or DC.

I am not saying here that Lake Taylor isn't a great team, or Oscar Smith, or Ocean Lakes. I'm just saying that it's time for everyone to admit that there is no region of the state that's guaranteed a title in any class. We play good football EVERYWHERE in Virginia!"

Again, the above came from Matt Gilliam. I couldn't agree more with what he wrote here.

As usual nice post Spartanofyore. I was not referring to east and west in my post. I was simply debating blacknights statement that the Roanoke teams play a tougher schedule than the Norfolk area teams and Pheobus would not fair well in the RV.

Yes, Salem is in a different league in their area. Lets be real here. SR, LB, WB may compete this year with the Norfolk area, but would not consistently.

I only used simulations and pitted the best teams for this season against one another. Did not claim it to be a sure thing. I am not a genius, but I do know the football played in both areas.

Salem just like Dinwiddie, Monacan and LT (they prove it each year) are a few teams in 4a that could hold their own. I can't speak for Salem, but In all honesty, playing good 5's and 6's each and every week would take its toll on Dinwiddie. We already play four each year in the district and its tough. Some years we win all, some years we dont. Ask any Hanover fan whats its like. Last year they did well. This year they got destroyed.

Again I was not dogging anyone. Hell, we are playing D-4 for a reason and I am proud when any 4a or a 3a team knocks of a good 5 or 6, but to say we could consistently compete against them is just not reality in my opinion.

Last edited:
Matt Gilliam posted this after last year's 4A championship game. I think it perfectly addresses the east vs. west issue. I have added some emphasis, in bold.

"I really think this was the biggest statement game ever for the Spartans. They were undeniably the best AA program in the state year in and year out before realignment. Then Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor drop down and have these juggernaut teams. The conventional wisdom was that it would take years before the west caught up. I think this win, especially after the game last year, proves something to the entire state, and more importantly to the entire Salem community. This is the second time in three years since realignment that no 757 team won a title. Anyone remember before the first season when they were claiming the southeast would win all six?

I consider this win by Salem as the final blow in the Southeast superiority myth. They're just another area of the state with football that's no better than anywhere else. Yes, they tend to have a few powerhouses that dominate, but that seems to be more a function of the fact that there is no parity down there than that the average football team, coach, or player is any better than in Mountains, or the Piedmont or DC.

I am not saying here that Lake Taylor isn't a great team, or Oscar Smith, or Ocean Lakes. I'm just saying that it's time for everyone to admit that there is no region of the state that's guaranteed a title in any class. We play good football EVERYWHERE in Virginia!"

Again, the above came from Matt Gilliam. I couldn't agree more with what he wrote here.
Nice post Spartan of Yore and kudos to Matt as well. This will make a great topic for discussion with another year of data after this year's playoffs and I will hold my opinions until then. I would caution against SOS comparisons as a generalization and say I think the West raised its game some to meet the East and the East might have slipped a little in terms of talent with more kids recruited by private schools. The topic really is pretty wide ranging and to do it justice I will take a little time to gather my thoughts. I was one who thought it would take the West 5 years to catch up and they got home a little ahead of schedule. Talent, coaching, travel, private school influence, etc., are all part of discussion in my opinion.

Nice post Spartan of Yore and kudos to Matt as well. This will make a great topic for discussion with another year of data after this year's playoffs and I will hold my opinions until then. I would caution against SOS comparisons as a generalization and say I think the West raised its game some to meet the East and the East might have slipped a little in terms of talent with more kids recruited by private schools. The topic really is pretty wide ranging and to do it justice I will take a little time to gather my thoughts. I was one who thought it would take the West 5 years to catch up and they got home a little ahead of schedule. Talent, coaching, travel, private school influence, etc., are all part of discussion in my opinion.

All the kudos go to Matt, as he wrote it. Yes, there are a number of factors involved here.

Here's a little factoid that's a mind-blower. I don't think it sheds any light on the old East versus West argument; it's mostly just a bit funny, in both an odd and humorous way. In the first three years since the reorganization, 2013 - 2015, Salem and Roanoke County have combined for three state championships, while all of Tidewater has brought home two.

This thread got a little hijacked from Phoebus/Blacksburg into what region plays the best football. Well everyone who has half a brain knows where the best football is played...on the football field of course! I love to watch all regions play and compete against each other! It's fun to see how differing coaches and styles match up, especially teams who have never faced each other before! Good luck to all, good health and be safe in your travels! Let those semi's begin!!!

FYI Phoebus has state champion in track with these same football players lol....if the kid is all that great why was Blacksburg 5-5? I'm sure if he does break it Andre Jackson or Johnatan Gregory can chase him down. Good player but some people are overrating him. Again I've only seen the games on YouTube.

Dazz Newsome was probably the best athlete in the state and proved his worth in the game against Phoebus. Phoebus had terrible practice that week and got punched in the mouth early...it was 21-0 in blink of an eye. Blacksburg has nowhere near the talent Hampton had this year. Phoebus couldn't get the offense going but shut a high powered offense down in Woodside. Blacksburg has nowhere near the talent Woodside had this year. By the way both of those L's were played with the backup QB who had a tough time leading the offense this year.
LAUGH OUT LOUD!!

I watch both teams on Youtube, and knew Blacksburg could beat Phoebus. The teams Phoebus has to play in the playoffs are not good at all. Any 3A west team defense would look like all pros against those teams. Only 2 barely had a winning record. Phoebus will make the state semis every year, more than likely.

All seriousness, I'm happy for teams out West to be able to go and compete with teams from the 804 and the 75. Blacksburg had nothing to lose and they went out and competed with the best all postseason. Congrats to the Bruins.

Reactions: kevtodd5
I watch both teams on Youtube, and knew Blacksburg could beat Phoebus. The teams Phoebus has to play in the playoffs are not good at all. Any 3A west team defense would look like all pros against those teams. Only 2 barely had a winning record. Phoebus will make the state semis every year, more than likely.
It pains me to say that i have to agree with everything you just said. I had to keep warning one of my friends about watching youtube and Hudl trying to compare teams. It's never the same as real time game action. Blacksburg played a great game and flat out outcoached, outplayed,and out executed my Phantoms all day. Congrats Bruins and good luck next week.

It pains me to say that i have to agree with everything you just said. I had to keep warning one of my friends about watching youtube and Hudl trying to compare teams. It's never the same as real time game action. Blacksburg played a great game and flat out outcoached, outplayed,and out executed my Phantoms all day. Congrats Bruins and good luck next week.
thank you, very tough game you have a very hard hitting team

Last edited:
I just think that 3 game stretch for Phoebus makes it hard for them boys to adjust because they had it easy pushing around their competition. One thing though seems like phoebus always makes that push in the 4th, and you cant get a comfortable lead on them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT