ADVERTISEMENT

Blacksburg @ Phoebus

Who wins

• Blacksburg

Votes: 34 51.5%
  • Phoebus

Votes: 32 48.5%

• Total voters
Congratulations to Blacksburg. I am eating alot of crow this morning. lol I think some of us Phoebus fans are living off of the pass success of Phoebus, and we are homers. Blacksburg is well coached and they have a great shot to win the state championship. It wont be easy beating Sr, but good luck Bruins!!

Congratulations to Blacksburg. I am eating alot of crow this morning. lol I think some of us Phoebus fans are living off of the pass success of Phoebus, and we are homers. Blacksburg is well coached and they have a great shot to win the state championship. It wont be easy beating Sr, but good luck Bruins!!
ty hawk, at least you came back to eat your crow. Congrats to Phoebus on a good season .

Reactions: catchtds
It looks like the mystique of Phoebus is finally put to rest. Two loses in the semi in a row at home field. I wonder if the former Phoebus coach going to Oscar Smith was a combination of the talent change and wanting to be in 6a and not dropping to 3a. I lived in Nova many years ago and saw perennial power Sterling Park View lose their great coach to new Stone Bridge where the population was all moving to. Stone Bridge is now the perennial power in 5a and Park View is now an also ran.

Reactions: OCBoy
The west has so many good teams . When they get to the playoffs they are battle tested. If u look back u see who winning the big playoff games. Bburg is well deserving of the chance at a title

Well game one next season LT vs Phoebus!!!! Should be fun

Reactions: gwb16
The west has so many good teams . When they get to the playoffs they are battle tested. If u look back u see who winning the big playoff games. Bburg is well deserving of the chance at a title
You say this like Phoebus played no one all year. The problem is there are a couple of 3a teams around here so when they get to the playoffs they play a bunch of subpar and below .500 teams. Lakeland was a 6th place team in their district and they were in the final 8 in the East. The 2 seed got obliterated in the playoffs because they played a team that was battle tested. It's a mindset thing the coaches can't let the team believe their own press clippings and think teams will lay down. They have to play.

Reactions: gwb16
So let me see...

Staunton River, Blacksburg and Salem are all in the state finals. Hmmmmmm. Maybe Roanoke-Lynchburg area schools are better after all...

3a has been lights our for a while
Not saying the east is bad at all
But w poest has had upper hand for a while

So let me see...

Staunton River, Blacksburg and Salem are all in the state finals. Hmmmmmm. Maybe Roanoke-Lynchburg area schools are better after all...
Blackknight thats not what you said. You stated the roanoke teams played a harder schedule than the norfolk area. That being said Salem is as good as anybody. The rest are cylclical like everybody else. Kudos to Staunton River and Blacksburg. Job well done.

Last edited:

I was very impressed with the sportsmanship shown by the Phoebus players and coaching staff during and after the game. It was a VERY hard hitting game - no one has hit Blacksburg harder than Phoebus did on Saturday - and there was good sportsmanship shown by Phoebus players during and after the game. After some of the slobber knocking that went on during the game one might expect some tempers to flair towards the end, but that didn't happen. Kudos to Coach Blunt and his staff and players - they represented themselves, their families, Phoebus High School and the City of Hampton with class and dignity.

I have a theory on the Blacksburg rise: it took place after the Salem game which Blacksburg lost 57 -21. Blacksburg could have packed it in after getting beat so soundly, but the loss seemed to motivate them. Maybe it showed them what it takes to be good

Congrats to Blacksburg.

Beyond disappointed in Phoebus. The QB play lost Phoebus the game with those terrible INTs...the one in the 1st quarter gave Blacksburg the ball at the 4 to go up 10-0 early then the dumb double coverage one was returned for a TD. I was pretty pleased with Phoebus defense and thought they held Blacksburg in check minus that 79 yard TD run on 4th and 1 where they should've wrapped up instead of going for the hit. Once again congrats to Blacksburg. Well coached team with some respectful fans.

Reactions: JOrndorff
Congrats to Blacksburg.

Beyond disappointed in Phoebus. The QB play lost Phoebus the game with those terrible INTs...the one in the 1st quarter gave Blacksburg the ball at the 4 to go up 10-0 early then the dumb double coverage one was returned for a TD. I was pretty pleased with Phoebus defense and thought they held Blacksburg in check minus that 79 yard TD run on 4th and 1 where they should've wrapped up instead of going for the hit. Once again congrats to Blacksburg. Well coached team with some respectful fans.
I was very impressed with the Phoebus D as well. They were big, fast, and very physical.

Congrats to Blacksburg.

Still think 3A is weak?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT